• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

1-1 help

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey guys ( I know what you are thinking "f**king hell, a new thread", apologies) over the past few months, despite using lots of different sources of information, I am really struggling with basic picking and hand placement. I have sunk loads into online courses and its always the cycle of:

Ask a question, get advice, the advice doesnt help solve the question but im to shy to say that.

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to take some time to hop on a video call whether it be on Discord or elsewhere to be able to offer assistance and put me on the right path? Thanks!

T

TheRedMageGuitarist

Dude are you kidding me? During this site's inception I posted like 15 times a day😂 it's how I got where I am!

There is NO SHAME in how many times you post or ask for help. It's what we're here for! I would offer my help, but @Chris Johnston is more skilled at teaching proper technique. He's a master, so you're in good hands with him!

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Dude are you kidding me? During this site's inception I posted like 15 times a day😂 it's how I got where I am!

There is NO SHAME in how many times you post or ask for help. It's what we're here for! I would offer my help, but @Chris Johnston is more skilled at teaching proper technique. He's a master, so you're in good hands with him!
    If only the master part were true haha, But thanks for the mention Jak! 👌

What's said here is also a good point - feel free to annoy everyone until you feel as if you've got a better understanding. It's how we all learn and everyone here loves guitar, so explaining it over and over is actually something I personally love doing 🤟

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I have been trying to get more comfortable with improv and delving into using different positions of the major scale but im noticing a few things and I was hoping for some possible advice.

Mainly its about tempo and phrasing. I find that I split everything into blocks because I struggle to transition in and out of passages. For example I could have a fast scalic section followed by a slow melodic section and there is no entwinement between the two.

Phrasing wise, I find that my passages seem to never end, its just this one big phrase with random staccato bits thrown in randomly. I think this is more to do with the fact that I am playing here ever possible and not letting the song breathe which is a bit tough to do in all honesty.

The last thing I wondered if anyone could help with is getting comfortable or finding creative ways to use new scales? I have been playing the pentatonic scale primarily for my whole time playing guitar so I find myself meandering around not really having a strong idea of what im playing.

As always, any feedback is appreciated!

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Tempo/Phrasing:

Try to keep an ear out for the rhythm, sometimes you can just follow the rhythm rather than adding fills.

Phrasing/Passage Wise:

Let there be some air in it. Think of it as there should be a pause when you take a breath. This gives the listener time to absorb what you've just played without feeling like they've been hit with a wall of notes. Just like when you are talking, you will naturally stop in places and take a breath - your solos should do the same thing.

Scale Wise:

I'm not entirely sure what scales I use, I know I use the blue scale a bit, the dorian scale a bit and I also do some chromatic walking around the place. I think knowing where my root note is and aiming for it, it doesn't overly matter which scale (or parts of) I use.. ie. if we look at the middle of the A minor pentatonic (position 1), on the G string (normally fret 5 and 7 for the pentatonic scale), i'll often go to the 4th fret (dorian) and in the same phrase, go to the 8th fret (blues) before eventually resolving to the 7th fret D string. Sometimes you can mash parts of scales together and it works.

I'm not very good though, you will probably want someone who knows what they're doing :)

Flower Hands

Garage band Groupie
    Sep 15, 2021
    BRA
    The last thing I wondered if anyone could help with is getting comfortable or finding creative ways to use new scales? I have been playing the pentatonic scale primarily for my whole time playing guitar so I find myself meandering around not really having a strong idea of what im playing.

I have a little exercise I use, first you get a rhythm going, like da.da.dadadada.dada, then play whatever notes you want, but keep the rhythm.
    Rhythm is sorta important
    check it out, the first bars is the rhythm, then I find other notes and play them following the estabilished rhythm

example 2:

so the rhythm is this 6 note pattern in the beginning, then every line I play follows it; they're all 6 note lines....the actual notes dont really matter much for this exercise, just keep the rhythm and it will sound alright most of the time .

and in general playin, keep in mind the safe places to hang on, so if there's a C chord happening, the notes of the triad (C-E-G).
    thats the amateur tips, 👀 👀.. yr mileage may vary

Last edited:

Mauro FILHO

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey guys ( I know what you are thinking "f**king hell, a new thread", apologies) over the past few months, despite using lots of different sources of information, I am really struggling with basic picking and hand placement. I have sunk loads into online courses and its always the cycle of:

Ask a question, get advice, the advice doesnt help solve the question but im to shy to say that.

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to take some time to hop on a video call whether it be on Discord or elsewhere to be able to offer assistance and put me on the right path? Thanks!
    I used Skype, if you like to share a time

Synner Endless Summer Collection