• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

2021 Goals!

Batbia

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Brazil
    Hi guys! Well, January is basically over, but the year is just starting, so I thought it would be cool to post my first thread here!
    I would like to know what are your goals for this year! Play a specific song? Dominate a specific technique? Buy a new guitar? Get rid of tabs? Complete a certain number of lessons? Just be able to play guitar in general and have a lot of fun while playing? Write new songs? Share with us!

Here are some things I expect I'm able to do by the end of 2021:
    ★ Play either Fade to Black or The Unforgiven by Metallica, or Buried Alive by Avenged Sevenfold
    ★ Play and sing at the same time

I don't know if I'll be able to achieve any of these goals this year, but I'll surely give it a try!

Can't wait to know your goals! 🤘🏼🎸

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Those are some cool goals!

Personally I'm to get myself acquainted with music production so I can start writing and releasing some music that's actually well produced. At the moment I have an idea for a jazz record and an idea revolving around modes so would be pretty cool if I can get those done by the end of the year. I also would like to get into orchestration and electronic music.

As far as specific songs go I have a list of songs that's way too long to fully get into but I'm almost finished working on Daphne by Django Reinhardt at the moment and after that the next five songs that I'd like to work on for my guitar playing are
    -Purple Rain
    -Regret #9 solo
    -Lay Your Hands On Me
    -Simulation
    -Belief

I also would like to work on my singing voice which for now I prefer to do by singing songs while paying attention to my breath and tension etc. Songs I picked for that are
    - purple Rain
    - the middle bit of Exist
    - Mercy
    - Love Yourself.

No clue whether this is doable within a year but I probably will keep faith until like december or so.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    My Number 1 goal for this year is more of a business goal, but it's to grow my student base to be as full time as possible. The pandemic took my live entertainment work, so it's a rebuilding year for me for Teaching :geek:

Guitar wise I want to continue to improve my sense of melody when improvising & keep cleaning up my playing :rock-hand:

Brizsa.

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Edmonton, Alberta 🇨🇦
    My biggest goal is to work on my posture while playing. It HURTS to practice for too long and that shit ain't cool.
    I do so many finger exercises and often feel like i'm not improving because I'm generally so uncomfortable sitting and playing lol.
    Apart from that big one, I'd love to be on here more (doing lessons, participating in the competitions, and posting in the forum). I do a lot in private and have never been involved here but would like to.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    G

Gemma G.S.

- Learn the fretboard
    - Learn Afterlife, even if it's just the riff, because that is quite literally my favorite riff of all time. (and I mean that from the bottom of my heart, not to be an ass-kisser; seriously, it's just so goddamn good and I love it)
    - Try and set up a practice schedule; this is quite difficult when you work in grocery 🙃, but I'm going to do my best there. :giggle:
    EDIT: I thought of another goal - learn more lead/solo stuff!! I've been focusing on rhythm just to get my sense of groove down, and I feel like i'm getting the hang of it now that I've been practicing with the metronome. So, I would really love to get more into leads and expand my knowledge!

Also, yay first thread!!

Last edited by a moderator:

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    Love this thread idea!
    My big goal for this year is to get comfortable enough in my playing where I can bring my guitar into my teaching. Honestly, this is probably more of a confidence thing than anything else 😅
    Other than that I'd like to work on learning the fretboard and chords, because right now playing notes feels like more of a guessing game rather than actively knowing where notes are and what notes make up certain chords :geek:

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I think my biggest goal would be to learn the fretboard and improve my theory overall! I know some of it vaguely, but I only know a few notes and minimal scales. Other than that, I had a small list of A7X songs/solos I'd like to attempt that aren't too crazy, like Gunslinger, Seize The Day and Victim, and I might even do some Volbeat, because I've been seriously getting into those guys!

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    My biggest goals for 2021 are:
    - Learn a song by A7X (I just know the rhythm.part of Hail to the King at the moment) or Linkin Park (or both!)
    - Learn the fretboard
    - improving my rhythm playing
    - improving (getting good at 😬)my legato that I just started studying
    - learn some solos and maybe write one of my own!

Great post. We will come back here next year and see what we were able to achieve 🤘🖤

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    My biggest goals for the next year:

For Improvisation:
    - Improve my sense of "spontaneous melody", i.e. coming up with good melodic ideas on the spot.
    - Directly linked with the last point, work on learning stuff by ear.
    - Also strongly related, my fretboard knowledge is already somewhat "good" in the sense, that I can easily translate a scale formula (like 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 for minor) onto the fretboard, and I know the notes of the fretboard somewhat well (could be quicker). BUT I really want to deepen my fretboard knowledge to the level, where I can translate melodies from my head to my fretboard with just as little effort as I can sing them, without accidentally hitting non-intended notes in between.
    - Of course, work on my feel and phrasing (always super important).

As for techniques:
    Obviously I want to improve on all of them, alternate picking, legato, tapping, sweeping, you name it. My sweeping is terrible at the moment, so of course economy picking is awful as well. Also get a little bit closer to shredding speeds.

Songs:
    Which songs I want to learn and want to play, in parts or entirely, changes all the time anyway. About 1/3 of the songs that I start learning, are actually hanging around for longer than 1-2 weeks with me, so there is no point in actually making a list right now, that is obsolete next week. :ROFLMAO: That being said, if I'm able to play Eruption at full speed this time next year, that would be nice, kthxbye :ROFLMAO:.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Make new friends because it's pretty clear i dont have any anymore lol.
    oh no! Thats not true at all ! you've got all of us Calvin !
    Although, it is always fun and exciting to expand the friend group and find like minded people you truly get along with in real life. I hope you find what you're looking for ! :)

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I love this thread so much and seeing all of the different responses, so if figured I'd add my own.

My 2021 goals are to REALLY learn theory. Its something I struggle with because, well to be honest, my brain just doesn't like it or understand it 90% of the time lol but I aim to fix that.

My second goal isn't actually guitar related, but its to sing in a way I don't sound like a dying cow lol. My goal with music is to become a songwriter and it would help tremendously if I could sing and play my own material to get my point across. I don't want to sound like Mariah Carey or anything, just enough that I can sing my own lyrics and it not bring stray cats to the yard,. 🤣

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I love this thread so much and seeing all of the different responses, so if figured I'd add my own.

My 2021 goals are to REALLY learn theory. Its something I struggle with because, well to be honest, my brain just doesn't like it or understand it 90% of the time lol but I aim to fix that.

My second goal isn't actually guitar related, but its to sing in a way I don't sound like a dying cow lol. My goal with music is to become a songwriter and it would help tremendously if I could sing and play my own material to get my point across. I don't want to sound like Mariah Carey or anything, just enough that I can sing my own lyrics and it not bring stray cats to the yard,. 🤣
    Ooh, we talked about the singing the other day. Are you getting lessons?

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Musically my main goal is.. I want to learn how to play harmonica while playing guitar. I’m a huge Neil Young fan and I’ve always thought it was so cool to watch when he does it. Same with Terry Reid and so many others. I already have such a hard time singing and playing guitar, I just get lost and off track so it ain’t gonna be easy but I’m committed 😁

Also to upload more in the riffs section, I was doing pretty good there for a while but then fell off a bit haha

Last edited:

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    oh no! Thats not true at all ! you've got all of us Calvin !
    Although, it is always fun and exciting to expand the friend group and find like minded people you truly get along with in real life. I hope you find what you're looking for ! :)

The pandemic is making it hard enough. I mean in the ways of real life friends. I lost many good friends over the last 2 years. There are many holes to fill there.

My anxiety doesn't make it easy to meet people either so it is an everlasting challenge.