• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

2021 Guitar Goals: Where are you at?

Hi guitar fam!
Earlier this year someone posted a thread asking what goals we wanted to achieve with guitar this year.
I was thinking it would be cool to see where everyone is at, what you've learned and what has changed in the last 5-6 months.
This is just meant to inspire each other and give ourselves a boost of energy to keep pursuing our goals.
If you feel behind in your goals, be kind to yourself and use this as an opportunity to re-calibrate.

I wrote 2 goals: Release music and build a set list.
I've been working very hard at these goals, both are coming along quite nicely. :)
I finished a song I'm really pumped about earlier this year and I plan to release it in the next couple of months.
My set list is quite short right now, but it's coming!
My plan is working on 2 songs at a time, 1 cover and 1 original.

What are your current guitar goals?

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    My goal was to learn Crimson Day. I haven't progressed much. Still on the intro to chorus at 45 bpm. But, since I can't ever focus on one song at a time, I've made a lot of progress on Rumble. So I guess my new goal is to learn tremolo picking. That's really the only thing holding me up on that song. Well, that and slides using multiple strings. I've never been a goal person because if I don't reach those goals I feel like a failure. If I don't set goals, then I can't disappoint myself.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Well, I set a goal to buy my first guitar and I did. I also said that, until the end of the year, I wanted to be able to play an entire song. Well, let's say I learned how to play two (easy ones), not perfectly, but I am really proud, because I've only been playing for 4 months.
    After seeing all of my progress and some people telling me that I got better really fast, this made me wanna set more goals. I decided that I would try and sing while playing, and I was finally able to do both things at the same time!
    Now, my next goal is to record something with some friends that play other instruments (not bass tho, 'cause who the fuck even cares about bass, am I right @Radu-Cristian Perde?).
    Anyways, I'm very happy about my progress and I only have this school and community to thank for! 💜

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Well, my main focus was to learn the fretboard and have a better knowledge of scales, and while I haven't come along as far as I was hoping to by now, I have made at least a little progress and I'm trying to get back on track! Saying that, I have been spending more time working on my fretting hand technique too and I've seen improvement there too, so that definitely counts for something as well 🤘 💀 🤘

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I should probably set another goal: using a metronome. I've tried, but I couldn't do it, and I really think it's easier for me without it, but I know I'm wrong. 😅
    Oh man, I feel you there! I always told myself the same thing, and I'm still a bit guilty of it now! The way I see it and what I tell myself when I'm like "Eh, don't need this", is that it's a good way to measure progress with seeing the tempo difference 🤘 💀 🤘

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    So my goals were: playing an a7x or linkin park song, getting better at rhythm, getting better at legato, learning the fretboard and learn some solos and writing some of my own.

Well....I learned some solos and got better at rhythm and legato (even tho my legato still sucks in general 😂😂😂).
    I think I'll achive the a7x or lp song soon, I have some songs in mind!!
    Still don't know well the fretboard, so gotta work on this.
    As you see I didn't achieve everything but I'm pretty happy with where I've come so far 😁💜💜

G

Gemma G.S.

I THINK my goal was to get more familiar with the fretboard, and... I'm doing okay at that, I've finally progressed into the CAGED system area of the lessons, so that's helping me along.

I think the other one was learning the Afterlife riff, which... that's absolutely nowhere close LOL. But I'll get there. I think that maybe something like learning ALL of Shepherd of Fire sounds more manageable. :giggle:

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    For Improvisation:
    - Improve my sense of "spontaneous melody", i.e. coming up with good melodic ideas on the spot.
    - Directly linked with the last point, work on learning stuff by ear.
    - Also strongly related, my fretboard knowledge is already somewhat "good" in the sense, that I can easily translate a scale formula (like 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 for minor) onto the fretboard, and I know the notes of the fretboard somewhat well (could be quicker). BUT I really want to deepen my fretboard knowledge to the level, where I can translate melodies from my head to my fretboard with just as little effort as I can sing them, without accidentally hitting non-intended notes in between.
    - Of course, work on my feel and phrasing (always super important).

As for techniques:
    Obviously I want to improve on all of them, alternate picking, legato, tapping, sweeping, you name it. My sweeping is terrible at the moment, so of course economy picking is awful as well. Also get a little bit closer to shredding speeds.
    This was my post in the other thread, on the 1st of february. Here is where I stand right now, 4 months later:

Technique: I certainly made progress in my technique. But I also have to say: i have had zero motivation lately to drill technique exercises. Absolutely none. If I can motivate myself to do 10 or 15 minutes a day of pentatonic sequences for alternate picking and legato, that is already enough. I'm at a place right now, where I am more willing to just let my technique develop "naturally", by learning and playing songs.

Improvisation: Well, my goals were super vague in the first place, but overall I'm happy with my progress. I think my melodic thinking/feeling has definitely improved, and my phrasing is going in the right direction.
    I feel like right now I'm in kind of a "post-theory" mood. I mean, I try to actively forget about scales/modes and chord theory, and just think about what notes I wanna play/hear, every note is "allowed" at all times. Of course playing like that is also kind of intervallic ear training, and post-playing analysis is still lots of fun, so I'm not saying that I don't like theory anymore.

In short: happy about progress in some areas, just not motivated in other areas.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    In my case I wanted to learn the fretboard more. And I must say I have been better at it.

Also wanted to deepen my knowledge of theory which is coming along nicely..slowly but nicely.

I played my first metal solo with some shredding, bought a new guitar and I will share soon a comparison of my old playing with my new playing!

Thank you for the reminder!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Well, I set a goal to buy my first guitar and I did. I also said that, until the end of the year, I wanted to be able to play an entire song. Well, let's say I learned how to play two (easy ones), not perfectly, but I am really proud, because I've only been playing for 4 months.
    After seeing all of my progress and some people telling me that I got better really fast, this made me wanna set more goals. I decided that I would try and sing while playing, and I was finally able to do both things at the same time!
    Now, my next goal is to record something with some friends that play other instruments (not bass tho, 'cause who the fuck even cares about bass, am I right @Radu-Cristian Perde?).
    Anyways, I'm very happy about my progress and I only have this school and community to thank for! 💜
    Bass is too complex and amazing for you to even comprehend it anyways.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Waiting for the right month to purchase a keyboard.

Music is coming along nicely. I seem to contain 7 monthly listeners the past few months so someone is listening. My next release is what I feel is a good mix (even if the vocals are still apartment and not full out yet but with lockdowns ending here soon we should be better there). If you don't agree with me just simply let me know what you can't hear.

All i wanna see tho is people getting back to nor.al which will probably never happen. Especially for a person like me who doesn't plan to get the shot until they make me. I feel there will always be a driver between those 2 groups for now on.

Reactions: Aquamandy
    In my case I wanted to learn the fretboard more. And I must say I have been better at it.

Also wanted to deepen my knowledge of theory which is coming along nicely..slowly but nicely.

I played my first metal solo with some shredding, bought a new guitar and I will share soon a comparison of my old playing with my new playing!

Thank you for the reminder!
    That's awesome brother! Can't wait to hear the comparison! :D

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze
    I want to start/join a new band by the end of the year. I don’t really have any specific goals on technique, but have been really intentional about working with a metronome and recording my progress. Just doing that has been really motivating because I see noticeable improvement pretty much every week.
    Awesome! I hope you find the right people to form a band with, cause it's such a fun experience! :)