• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

2nd string on the run

Ivana Turner

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Slovakia
Hey guys, I'm struggling a bit with my 2nd string randomly detatching itself from a floyd rose bridge... the string doesn't break, it just simply slides out of it's saddle on the bridge even though I screw it in as tight as it gets and I'm getting hopeless with what to do with it. Since the string didn't break I just put it back in it's place every time but at this point it takes one bend for it to start de-tuning and eventually sliding out. The guitar is tuned to drop B (c#-g#-e-B-F#-B), gauge 12 strings and it's a Schecter Banshee-6 FR SGR. Could it be that the strings are too thick for the guitar or should I seek a service guy to take a look at the bridge? I'm also attaching a picture below in case my vocabulary in this post wasn't really understandable. Afterall, I'm not from an english speaking country :) Anyways, thanks in advance for help and tips :)

IMG-3733.jpg

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Get yourself a pair of needle-nose pliers. turn out (loosen) the screw that holds the string in place. Use the pliers and the kind of movement usually reserved for removing a pick from the soundhole of an acoustic guitar to get the little black metal square block out of the cavity for the string. Be careful not to lose it in carpeting. They're small and black and a bear to find if you lose it.

Get it out and examine it. It may be that the side that presses the string to the front of the bridge is worn or misshapen. In most cases, you can just flip it in a different way so another "side" of the block is pressing on the string. If you can't get that to work, then you can try replacing that block with one from almost anyplace that has Floyd Rose parts.

Then clean the finger gunk off those pretty fine-tuners, haha.

Reactions: Ivana Turner
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ivana Turner

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Slovakia
    Get yourself a pair of needle-nose pliers. turn out (loosen) the screw that holds the string in place. Use the pliers and the kind of movement usually reserved for removing a pick from the soundhole of an acoustic guitar to get the little black metal square block out of the cavity for the string. Be careful not to lose it in carpeting. They're small and black and a bear to find if you lose it.

Get it out and examine it. It may be that the side that presses the string to the front of the bridge is worn or misshapen. In most cases, you can just flip it in a different way so another "side" of the block is pressing on the string. If you can't get that to work, then you can try replacing that block with one from almost anyplace that has Floyd Rose parts.

Then clean the finger gunk off those pretty fine-tuners, haha.
    Thank you, I will try that!