• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A Big Collab (Lets do this)

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Yes, I know we tryied before and it didnt work, blah blah blah, and people forget about the day to send it blah blah blah, but I think we can do this. We did excelente videos to Syn and to Jak in christmas, we can do this as well! We just need to be organized and be together and we can do it.
    So let me explain:
    My idea is to do a "solo collab" with as many SGS Students as we can.
    Like, everyone that wants to participate, should participate, cause this is going to be big, and everyone outside would see this as " Wow, Synyster Gates Student are pretty good, man!"
    Think about this like Jared Dines shred collab, but better, cause we are better 💪
    In my opinion, we would need someone that can do the video, like mixing and all that Stuff. Im definetly not good with computers. Im lucky when I dont loose my phone twice in a week BUT I think theres people here pretty good doing that. Like Ailee or Jak.
    Maybe, this would be like 40 seconds solo for each student.
    We would need someone that says "Yeah, I can do the video and mixing" We need that person.
    And we basically could set a date where every Student that is participating to send the videos/audios to the person that is making the video. Im thinking about a month or two. This gives everyone time enought to record the things.

So guys, lets do this. Everyone can participate, with all the instruments, all levels. Even if you started learning an instrument yesterday. All you need is being a SGS Student, and at least play in the right key (dont worry, we'll choose an easy key like C or G). And have a way to record your solo and film your video. I encourage everyone to participate.
    About the backing track, we could use one from YouTube but if anyone wants to right one go for it!
    I think this is easier if everyone that wants to participate write if you want in the comments and we will make this work!

Last edited:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    In general I like the idea of a shred collab. But I'm not sure if this is the right kind of advertisment for the School. First of all I don't think we reach a Jared Dines level, not in Skill, not in video quality, not in how many people participate. If we would that would mean that we would exclude a big part of the students here that are just not able to deliver what you want for this solo collab. Now if we still manage to do it and the internet would go "wow, the students are all great guitarists" but would probably also be afraid to join us if they feel worse than the people in the video.

Just something to think about when it comes to what we want to achieve with this. However, it is still a very cool thing to do and I am really excited to see if we can pull it off. We meaning you guys, I'm out when it comes to soloing, even more in a certain key 😂

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    In general I like the idea of a shred collab. But I'm not sure if this is the right kind of advertisment for the School. First of all I don't think we reach a Jared Dines level, not in Skill, not in video quality, not in how many people participate. If we would that would mean that we would exclude a big part of the students here that are just not able to deliver what you want for this solo collab. Now if we still manage to do it and the internet would go "wow, the students are all great guitarists" but would probably also be afraid to join us if they feel worse than the people in the video.

Just something to think about when it comes to what we want to achieve with this. However, it is still a very cool thing to do and I am really excited to see if we can pull it off. We meaning you guys, I'm out when it comes to soloing, even more in a certain key 😂
    I kinda understood it as a solo collab where anyone can participate and that includes you too. If we do something in the key of C I think everyone can manage to play something cool!

Reactions: David Deatherage

Rute Rodrigues

• Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal

The idea is basically an improv collab. Everyone can participate, all levels and style preferences. I just think this would be cool because we could do a video showing what we learned and improved on the school. I defenitly learned a lot here, starting with soloing, and I believe you guys did too.
    Its kinda a way to put all of our improvement in 40/50 seconds for the World to see.
    I dont care if your improvement was doing sweeps in 200bpm or learning the Pentatonic scale. Did your playing improved because of the school? Show it to the world, show what you learned and we will put it all together in a video. Its my main idea

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rute Rodrigues

• Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    It could be like an improv collab. And regarding the backing track maybe use one of the school? But hey! I like the idea. Count me in
    Yes! An improv collab, or a solo written by you! You choose! The backing track can be one of the school, its an awesome idea. I just dont know how to use it as a track, but again, I dont understand nothing about mixing
    You're in bro!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina

I saw “solo” and I was like 😱 nope. I’m out lol. I can bang out some power chords but that’s about it 😃

Rute Rodrigues

• Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    I saw “solo” and I was like 😱 nope. I’m out lol. I can bang out some power chords but that’s about it 😃
    Power chords are fine. This is not supposed to be perfect just FUN! Also, I know you well, and I think you can do more than that, but at least if you want to participate, that makes me really happy already

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Power chords are fine. This is not supposed to be perfect just FUN! Also, I know you well, and I think you can do more than that, but at least if you want to participate, that makes me really happy already
    Oh I’m totally down to participate, I definitely can’t deliver any solo stuff though, I’ve honestly only attempted ONCE to learn a solo, and I definitely can’t improv one.
    but I’m down to do whatever for the video ! I think it would be awesome to showcase all skill levels of the students here 😃

Rute Rodrigues

• Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Th
    Oh I’m totally down to participate, I definitely can’t deliver any solo stuff though, I’ve honestly only attempted ONCE to learn a solo, and I definitely can’t improv one.
    but I’m down to do whatever for the video ! I think it would be awesome to showcase all skill levels of the students here 😃
    Thanks Alicia!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

carlosmqr

• Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    I like the idea, and I would love to participate but Im a bit like Dominik and Alicia here xD Anyway because we are all in different levels will be interesting because everyone will come with something different...just not sure how to fit that on a video where some of you will be sweeping and alternate picking like hell and others will be playing a pentatonic scale at 10bpm (like me) 😅 but at the same time is kind of a challenge and will make all of us try to do our best with something that I believe a lot of us dont feel confortable doing!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think a yearly collab would be neat. Someone make a easy pentatonic rhythm riff (as that's the easiest to solo over for newer players). No rejections. I hated that from other collabs.

Make the riff about.. 8 or 16 bars? You wanna be able to have time to create tension and release. Also dont worry about shredding. Simple bends would be great to hear.

Anything else anyone would be concerned about?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think 40 seconds is on the long side - daunting for the newer players to fill that much space. Equally daunting for the shredders to keep it that short, but DEAL WITH IT :).

Ailee is probably the best for video, if she's up for it. Filip might be a good choice for audio mixing if he's up for it. There would need to be limitations on recording. To maintain quality, there would probably need to be a way to send a mix with the backing track and ALSO an isolated guitar track, to mix into the master without being evil.

Considering how long it would be, there should be a couple different backing track parts that work together. Those are my thoughts for the moment.

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK

We could always shred in our own key … we could call it ... Chad.

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I think 40 seconds is on the long side - daunting for the newer players to fill that much space. Equally daunting for the shredders to keep it that short, but DEAL WITH IT :).

Ailee is probably the best for video, if she's up for it. Filip might be a good choice for audio mixing if he's up for it. There would need to be limitations on recording. To maintain quality, there would probably need to be a way to send a mix with the backing track and ALSO an isolated guitar track, to mix into the master without being evil.

Considering how long it would be, there should be a couple different backing track parts that work together. Those are my thoughts for the moment.
    This seems like a good idea on paper but with the execution, nah, unfortunate but like you said, Ed.

Reactions: Ed Seith

I like what Ed said here. In my opinion we should take our time to plan and execute this well, we want quality!
    Since I'm planning on releasing a video on how to record good quality video covers, maybe we can begin recording after I share that. Because I will explain in detail how to record good stuff and this will save people a lot of headaches.

I am going to be honest, I am very busy, but I could find some time to edit this video, it would just take me a while cause I'm working a lot. But I'm down.
    It's actually easier for me to mix the audio along with the video, but I think Filip could make a KICK ASS backing track, if he's up for it.