• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A CHRISTMAS GIFT TO YOU from Phil Spector

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
Alright so I just listened to the record, here is my takeaway:

The music is christmas music, you like or you don't. there isn't much to say about it. However, the performances are amazing. Even more when considering that is was from a period where autotune and all those studio techniques to correct mistakes didn't exist!

Now here is the thing. At first glance, the sound isn't that impressive by today's standard. It could easily be brushed off as just another vintage christmas album. Until I realized that this was produced in 1962!! This is absolutely well produced considering the limitations of the time! I listened to this record on my studio headphone so I could really pay attention to what I was listening. What impressed me most is how everything blends together so well and that I felt like every instrument complimented the other however, if I paid enough attention, I could still clearly hear each instruments. Every sound was given the right amount of space for them to breath without taking away from others! One thing I noticed as well was somewhat the texture on the voices. I dont know exactly what it is but I feel it's some sort of slight overdrive that gives it a texture that really makes it ''pop'' if that makes sense? Other than that, the layering of the strings with the choir were absolutely amazing which is something I use myself. I noticed this particularly in the song Christmas (Baby please come home).

Now I followed the link because I was curious about the wall of sound. I have heard of it but I didn't fully know what it was. This seems to me to be the originator of modern compression! It was really interesting to read how they had to do it back then knowing that today it can be done with digital plug ins. We have come such a long way. And it was truly revolutionary back then!

Anyways, I really appreciated this album for the creativity behind its conception. It's truly is a wonderful piece of work. And while the sound of it might have aged by today's standard, I feel like it gives it a unique touch that keeps it enjoyable and fitting for any christmas event.

All said and done, happy holidays to you and your family! I wish you only the very best! :syngates::rock-hand:

P.S: I really want to see you rocking that perm and those small spectacles hehe
Great analysis my dude! And thanks for mentioning the release date, I totally forgot to do that and it really puts things into perspective! 1962, wtf???

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    listened to everything...! always thank you dear Syn! very very great, thanks for bringing a bit of a Christmas atmosphere...i haven’t felt it for years.. i loved it, really.
    and this part «May we wish you the very merriest of Christmases
    And the happiest of New Years, and thank you so very much
    For letting us spend this Christmas with you»almost made me cry. beautiful piece of art. 🙌🏻
    happy 2021 to you man!
    🖤🎶🖤

Last edited:

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Great analysis my dude! And thanks for mentioning the release date, I totally forgot to do that and it really puts things into perspective! 1962, wtf???
    Right!? It really blows my mind when I see things from this perspective. Yes Phil has made some very questionable choices in his personal life (that's putting it mildly) but his impact on the music and recording industry is absolutely massive and it has paved the way for what we are able to do today!

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    I've never heard this album before, so while I was studying, I started listening to it and also did some research on the album, released in 1963!! and also the technique used by Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" very interesting. Darlene Love has an incredibly powerful voice, I loved hearing it in the song "Christmas". I really liked the song of The Ronettes , "Sleigh Ride" really expresses all that Christmas spirit, the voices create an incredible harmony, loved it!

I'm probably going to listen this music for Christmas! Haha Thank you very much Syn for giving us the opportunity to express our thoughts and all the detail that expressing yourself about this album was very interesting to read it.

@Syn Gates I wish you a beautiful Christmas with your family and happy 2021!! Be safe!! Lots of prosperity, love and health! ♥️

Thank you! I love you so much!! you're a genius! :cool:♥️

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    My grandma, where the music in the family comes from, is 93 as well❤️

Ya Brian was a super fan of Spectors. Funny to think of such a pure and intrinsic genius like Brian Wilson being a crazy fan boy. He used to stalk him a little and then hang with Spector in studio. I believe he layed down some piano for Spector(maybe on this record) that never made it because it didn’t meet Phil’s standards lol.
    First, I just wanna thank Grandma Florence for bringing the music passion into the Haner family, so now we have two of the most talented musicians ever, Papa Gates and Syn ❤

Well, I listened to the album and really enjoeyd it. My 3 favorite songs are Santa Is Coming To Town, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus and Christmas (Baby Please Come Home). The latter is my favorite of them all, truly a gem! The vocals, to me, are perfect. That singer is amazing! Really blew my mind away.
    I don't have many things to say about the album, but it definitely made me feel more excited about Christmas.

Oh, btw, I quote @Radu-Cristian Perde: "I really want to see you rocking that perm and those small spectacles"

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Side note: I’ll be updating the “Syns AOTM” playlist on Spotify with this classic before the day is done. My phone is acting up and won’t let me add to it from there so I have to wait until I’m at home with my iPad.
    I’m currently running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off trying to finish last min holiday stuff haha 🤪 But it’ll be updated ASAP!

For anyone who’s not following it yet: https://spoti.fi/3rd46GR

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Phil Spector is probably more infamous now for the murder of his wife, Lana Clarkson, in which he appeared on trial to be apathetic all the while donning an outlandish perm and small spectacles, my new look.

Phil Spector’s :explode-skull:Wall Of Sound:explode-skull: was an ingenious use of blending instruments with a lot of compression to achieve a unique hybrid instrument with its comprising instruments to be virtually indistinguishable from their sum. He also doubled a lot of instruments and used an echo chamber reverb to create a massive sound for the time.
    Committed a murder? Check. Creates a wall of sound using reverb? Check. So Phil Spector is basically black metal before black metal, haha!

But seriously, after looking into him, I feel like this is one of those guys that is responsible for a shit ton of stuff in music but doesn't get enough credit (he does get it, but not nearly enough is what I'm saying). Cool stuff.

devil'slittlesister

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 13, 2020
    Massachusetts- USA
    instagram.com
    Side note: I’ll be updating the “Syns AOTM” playlist on Spotify with this classic before the day is done. My phone is acting up and won’t let me add to it from there so I have to wait until I’m at home with my iPad.
    I’m currently running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off trying to finish last min holiday stuff haha 🤪 But it’ll be updated ASAP!

For anyone who’s not following it yet: https://spoti.fi/3rd46GR
    Thank youuu

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Committed a murder? Check. Creates a wall of sound using reverb? Check. So Phil Spector is basically black metal before black metal, haha!

But seriously, after looking into him, I feel like this is one of those guys that is responsible for a shit ton of stuff in music but doesn't get enough credit (he does get it, but not nearly enough is what I'm saying). Cool stuff.
    My man! Haha I posted a story on the Synner page a little bit ago to promote the AOTM. I alluded to it being his most metal choice yet (and that was due to all of the above) 😂

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    I've never heard this album before, so while I was studying, I started listening to it and also did some research on the album, released in 1963!! and also the technique used by Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" very interesting. Darlene Love has an incredibly powerful voice, I loved hearing it in the song "Christmas". I really liked the song of The Ronettes , "Sleigh Ride" really expresses all that Christmas spirit, the voices create an incredible harmony, loved it!

I'm probably going to listen this music for Christmas! Haha Thank you very much Syn for giving us the opportunity to express our thoughts and all the detail that expressing yourself about this album was very interesting to read it.

@Syn Gates I wish you a beautiful Christmas with your family and happy 2021!! Be safe!! Lots of prosperity, love and health! ♥️

Thank you! I love you so much!! you're a genius! :cool:♥️
    Thanks for your insight!! I love you too, I’m no Phil Spector but I do have a gigantic perm now👨‍🦱

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Well, since we're in Christmas mood...
    images (11).jpeg

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    The playlist has been updated ✨
    42 songs, 2 hours and 30 min of Mr Bungle, The Beatles, and now Holiday tunes. I can’t wait to see what it looks like in 4 months 🙌😜

Ah just wait until we’re back in 100+ degree weather for the summer. One of those days you decide you’d like to enjoy some of SGs recommendations, I mean, who wouldn’t? They’ve all bean great! So you throw that bad boy on shuffle and BAM, Frosty the Snowman by The Ronettes hits you. Glorious. Absolutely glorious ⛄️
    Only at the SGS baby
    In all seriousness, enjoy the playlist friends 🤘

Last edited:
    G

Gemma G.S.

Y'know, for being a murderer Phil really put together a festive album! 😬 😂 I listened to it while I did some house cleaning and it put me in a big ol' holiday mood - I dig how dense and full everything sounds, very bass-y. "Marshmellow World" and "Here Comes Santa Claus" are some of my favorite Christmas songs no matter who sings 'em, usually, so those stuck out for me. I loooove Darlene Love's voice! "The Bells of Saint Mary" is another lovely one. I'm a sucker for crooners when it comes to Christmas music, and that song is so grand-sounding.

I'm also gonna have to third "pics or it didn't happen" 😂 SHOW US THE PERM

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Y'know, for being a murderer Phil really put together a festive album! 😬 😂 I listened to it while I did some house cleaning and it put me in a big ol' holiday mood - I dig how dense and full everything sounds, very bass-y. "Marshmellow World" and "Here Comes Santa Claus" are some of my favorite Christmas songs no matter who sings 'em, usually, so those stuck out for me. I loooove Darlene Love's voice! "The Bells of Saint Mary" is another lovely one. I'm a sucker for crooners when it comes to Christmas music, and that song is so grand-sounding.

I'm also gonna have to third "pics or it didn't happen" 😂 SHOW US THE PERM
    I think I've heard Darlene sing before, but I didn't know it was she. What an amazing, outstanding voice!
    This album rec put me in such a good mood that now I'm searching for more of Darlene's music and Christmas songs. Things are finally getting a little festive here! 🎄