• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A CHRISTMAS GIFT TO YOU from Phil Spector

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Well, it's already Dec 24th where I live, so I just wanna wish everyone a Merry Christmas! I won't be celebrating it this year because of many things, but I will sure keep the Xmas spirit alive (thanks to @Syn Gates who ignited that little sparkle in me). I'll be listening to this album rec and many other Xmas related music, while enjoying the safety of my house and the love of my mom and grandma.
    I wanna thank @Syn Gates for being so lovely and nice. You really made me smile so many times, even when I was really down. You inspire me to always strive to be a better version of myself and never give up. Thank you for creating this community (thank you too, @Brian Haner Sr. ). You really keep changing my life everyday, Syn! I love you ❤
    Thank you to everyone here; you guys create a loving, respectul, hate-free community.
    May next year be amazing and filled with blessings for everyone.
    Happy Holidays!
    🎄💫

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So I was going into this with my only reference for the term "wall of sound" from the era, which is Born to Run. Granted, it's 13 years later, but that was my reference point. Apple Music has the version that is "Remastered by Phil Spector," so I was unprepared for it to actually be in MONO.

That alone is jarring enough. I think the remaster does bring a few things slightly out of mono, but it's still very much a mono recording. Brought me once again back to Dad's wagon, with the lone shitty speaker in the center of the dash.

Most of the songs are well-worn traditions, but the arrangements are interesting. I never liked how the vocals on these old recordings sound like they're clipping. The digital clipping in Death Magnetic is far more horrid, but I really don't like techniques that distort the final product like that.

My favorite chord progression is the one in Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    :syngates:Yo Family!
    For this months album rec I thought I’d rock some holiday spirit with A Christmas Gift To You From Phil Spector.

This may be just another Christmas record at first glance and listen, but it was an unbelievably influential record by an unbelievably influential producer, Phil Spector.

Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys has claimed that this is the most influential record on his songwriting and producing. This inspired the brilliance that is his magnum opus, Pet Sounds. You will immediately hear the influence after you familiarize yourself with Spector’s work.

Phil Spector is probably more infamous now for the murder of his wife, Lana Clarkson, in which he appeared on trial to be apathetic all the while donning an outlandish perm and small spectacles, my new look.

Phil Spector’s :explode-skull:Wall Of Sound:explode-skull: was an ingenious use of blending instruments with a lot of compression to achieve a unique hybrid instrument with its comprising instruments to be virtually indistinguishable from their sum. He also doubled a lot of instruments and used an echo chamber reverb to create a massive sound for the time.

I’ve always felt that his records, especially vocally, were pushed to the max. The “breakup” or naturally overdriven nature of his compression techniques added next level intensity. You can really hear it on the tracks with The Ronnettes. Veronica Bennett(who married Spector and took the name), lead singer of The Ronnettes, really shines on this record. Also, Christmas(Baby Please Come Home) featuring Darlene Love, stands out as perfection among all components; songwriting, performance, arrangement, and production.

Really try to listen to the arrangement of the instruments as well as the texture, meaning tone, overdrive, intensity, etc. I hope this inspires you to think outside of the box when you create. Try doubling guitars with pianos or other instruments to get a sound no ones ever heard before. I do this ALL THE TIME in the studio and it’s the only way to create something truly unique. It can also inspire how the song is written by how an unusual hybrid of textures makes you feel.

I can’t wait to hear what you all think!

Happy Holidays my beautiful family, I wish you all prosperity and good health!

And get ready for 2021, it’s gonna be one hell of a ride!

All my love,
    SYN
    :syngates:
    Since this is a Christmas record. I waited to give it a listen. An so I did hear it through in one take today while preparing Christmas dinner.

I consider myself a bit of a Grinch..but slowly it got me into the Christmas mood to be honest..so Santa is coming to town!

Thanks for the suggestion Syn!

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    So I was going into this with my only reference for the term "wall of sound" from the era, which is Born to Run. Granted, it's 13 years later, but that was my reference point. Apple Music has the version that is "Remastered by Phil Spector," so I was unprepared for it to actually be in MONO.

That alone is jarring enough. I think the remaster does bring a few things slightly out of mono, but it's still very much a mono recording. Brought me once again back to Dad's wagon, with the lone shitty speaker in the center of the dash.

Most of the songs are well-worn traditions, but the arrangements are interesting. I never liked how the vocals on these old recordings sound like they're clipping. The digital clipping in Death Magnetic is far more horrid, but I really don't like techniques that distort the final product like that.

My favorite chord progression is the one in Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).
    C’mon Truth, that’s my fav part🤨 It brings the energy up. Def not that shitty digital clipping. Touch of hair as they say. Next album I’m doing that to the vox just for you 😘 You’re gonna love it😝

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I finally gave it a listen. I can’t give a detailed synopsis like some these amazing guys and gals, but this unlocked some memories for me that were long forgotten ! As soon as I heard “Marshmallow world” the memories came flooding back and I had to call my Nanny ! (Aka grandmother)
    I had forgotten this song existed, but as soon as I heard it the lyrics came flooding back to me ! It was one of Nanny’s favorites, and I remember I would have an entire scene made up in my head to go along with the lyrics. Lol
    This whole album is amazing.
    Im a sucker for the “old” style of singing and the big band feel ! How can you not be happy while listening to stuff like this !!!!!

(I’m also currently dancing around my kitchen so thanks 🤩)

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I just started listening to it and I'm pretty sure I already knew it without knowing it. One of my friends is a Phill spector fan(atic) so he used to always turn on this album around Christmas and I have to say it has lots of elements that I like about 60s music. Love the singing and just overall the happy vibe it portrays!

Klementein

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Morlaix, France
    In France, we don't really have those Christmas songs, when they talk about Christmas, you have the same old boring songs. Someone who know Tino Rossi ? 🤣
    So, when I saw this recommandation, I was like "Oh is it the true Christmas' spirit ?" I enjoy listen to that album. It make me feel good. The vocals are really good.
    I couldn't listen to it for the 24/12 so it was the 31, with my children before celebrating the New Year. And when my man told me today to put some cool music (for the guests of the birthday of my little girl), and put those Christmas songs, and it was good.
    May I will listen to it every year, those bells are sooo Christmas !

Thks for this 😊

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Synner Endless Summer Collection