• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A little personal story - trying to vent

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Hey guys, there's something I'd like to share with you now. This community is not just amazing from guitar perspective, but people are genuinely helpful to each other in regards other things too. This story is technically about the guitar and my passion for music, but there's more to it.

2 years ago I suffered a massive heartache, depression and nearly had a mental breakdown. A class acquintance of mine passed away at the age of 17 and one person made me feel a lot of pain. At the end of 2018 I made a vow I would pick my life back and focus on guitar playing and fulfilling my dream of having a big metal band. I did play A LOT in early 2019, I learned quite a few songs and realized I can learn songs by ear (thanks to Lateralus by Tool). But then I had a lot of things going on with graduating high school, which didn't go as planned, and I was bound to study for the rest of 2019. I played less and less guitar.

2020 came with a good start, I graduated from high school and just a week ago I managed to get into college. I still didn't get to play guitar as much as I did in early 2019, because I had to prepare for exams for entering the college.

Which brings us to what happened just a few hours ago. I was out with my best friend and he was setting me straight about my goals. He was telling me I shouldn't give up, and I was like "dude, there is no way I'll get to like Avenged or Trivium level" (my fav bands, which is why I use them as a reference). Oh, and remember that person that made me feel a lot of pain from the beginning of the story? Just as we were walking down the street and discussing this, we see that person bypassing us, along with another person who is the actual reason why that first person hurt me to begin with. This thing happens in fucking movies. I see the people that made my life completely miserable after 2 years, just as I was discussing my future with my best friend. I'm still shocked to say the least....

I won't bother you any further with my rambling, but I feel like I'm about to "restart" my life once again, and commit myself to guitar fully. I need to achieve EVERYTHING I set out to do. Syn, you need to hold me for these words. That's another reason why I'm posting this here, as a constant reminder that the man that has inspired me the most on this journey has my word that I'm gonna do something great with my life.

If you've read this long post, thank you. It feels like I have a purpose now, again.

Last edited:

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hey Daniel, I’m sorry you’ve had some ups and downs but you’ve got the right attitude. The only place you can move is forward. You’re very young and your life is literally just now beginning, even if it doesn’t feel like it. Everything takes time and patience and dedication and it seems like you’re heading down the right path. Hang in there and enjoy the ride ! Even the unpleasant things in life often teach us a valuable lesson.

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Hey Daniel, I really enjoyed reading this post. Reading about how you went from being in a low point in your life and mustering up the drive to push yourself forward. We all go through times where life feels like shit and we lack the means to move forward which leaves us feeling worse. The lessons we learn from these times are what will help build our character and shape our outlook on life. I'm glad to see you're mustering up the drive again to push yourself to be better. I hope you're able to accomplish what you've set out to do man. Good luck dude!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey man! Thanks for sharing your Story with us. Glad you found new strength and want to dedicate your Life to the guitar again!
    You know, James Hetfield used to Work too in the early beginnings of Metallica. But He would still find a way to practice every Bit He could, playing guitar in His Car when He Had a Break at Work. So I guess as Long as you really want it, you can make it Happen :)

Synner Endless Summer Collection