• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A moment of your time

G

Hello, World!
Id like to take a moment to talk about something thats quite important, and its about confidence.
confidence part 1;
I believe that confidence is in everyone. We don’t necessarily learn to be confident, we unleash. It’s always there. We can’t really get rid of it either, it’s definitely somewhere there, and we often find a certain job or hobby helps us unlock confidence. And its important to know confidence comes as a strength and as a weakness, and let me explain why.
Confidence comes in a strength. Your strengths are what you are good at. This doesnt only apply in music, but across all industries too. We all have them and its very important to know what our strengths our and where they come from. From a musical point of view your strengths could be; sight reading, alternate picking, sweeping, music analysis, music tech, finger picking, a specific genre, certain knowledge or anything like that. We find that our strengths are techniques we practice more so than others, or techniques we believe we are good at. From this we build confidence as we are satisfied with our own ability and become more ‘expert’ in a certain topic.
We then have our weaknesses. Our weaknesses tell us what we are not so sufficient in. A weakness is definitely a weakness, but why does it lead to confidence? Because if you are aware of your weaknesses, you are in a powerful position to do 1 of 2 things (or both). 1) We use our weaknesses as a source of motivation using the “I can do this” attitude, or 2) We are aware of our weaknesses and disguise with our strengths.
Confidence part 2;
I think strengths and weaknesses should be identified because you need to know what it is you need to work on. I strongly believe that we all have strengths and weaknesses, and the thing with strengths and weaknesses is, they change between person to person. We sit and practice day and night towards certain techniques (say that technique was tapping) and I mean say a guitar player practiced specifically on this technique for a very long time. They are building towards a strength that will make them ‘wow’ audiences and colleagues, and this will give them a great feeling of satisfaction. This gives them confidence.
Weaknesses I find are very complicated. Because they are what they are, but could be used as a fantastic tool. When I was younger, I was guilty of being ‘wowed’ by my heroes because they mastered their strengths. At the time I was only aware of strengths, but sadly only their strengths and not their weaknesses, but when I analysed my playing, I was aware of my own weaknesses and not my strengths. For years I had this frame of mind and essentially was comparing my weaknesses to their strengths. When really, my weaknesses (as mentioned above) should have been a source of motivation). You kinda give up.
We find our heroes do nothing but impress us, which is very true. They are the fuel to our motivation and they influence our musical taste and because of this we try to copy what we see and hear. After all, the saying goes ‘Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery’. But its important to know that these guitar heroes have weaknesses like the rest of us. I am in no way shape or form, trying to insult the greatest, but merely say they are human like us, and are probably in our shoes when they talk about their heroes.
From this, Id like to give you a task. I would like everyone to comment constructively on their own playing. And I will give you an example with myself.
I believe a strength I hold as a guitarist is I really like how I’ve progressed with my sweeping and arpeggios. I find that I was really weak with my finger rolls, and could only play a C major or A minor shape patterns. I practiced sweeping and arpeggios for ages to learn other shapes, to get cleaner and to incorporate other techniques in there too. For example, I like tapping the arpeggio when following a sweep to cover more area of the fret board, and also find string skipping breaks the technique up a little bit.
Another strength is I’m technically a “Master of Music’ through academia. It took a lot of work and because of this I believe I can cover a bit of ground across the board of music. I by no means ‘master’ anything, but in order to achieve a qualification like this I had to study my ass off.
A weakness I carry is that I’m quite a sloppy and lazy guitar player. You will occasionally find in my videos I miss notes, I slip up, my bends and vibrato can be off and I can get upset by this. However, to overcome this, I spend a bit of time going backwards a little bit. For example, playing 1 note in as many embellished ways as possible.
So the idea for the strength is you say something you believe you are good at and explain why. Then for the weakness, you state a weakness and say “my weakness is…BUT heres what im going to do about it’.
I’ve wanted to write something like this for a long time, because I sometimes find people are really unhappy with their playing or feel like they are just not getting anywhere, and where I dont message or comment much, I’d like to contribute to something.
I really do hope this helps. And it doesnt matter how experienced or un-experienced you are, we all have strengths and we all have weaknesses.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yeah you are right! I do sometimes feel like there is a certain group is replying here and uploading riffs which consists of like 50 people or so and there are like hundreds/thousands of people on here but they simply don’t have the confidence to reply to some highlights or upload a riff. I would encourage all of them to reply to reply and upload riffs because they can definetely help people and probably are amazing players!

J

Jak Angelescu

👏👏👏👏 EVERYONE needs to read this. Out of all of it, this stuck out to me the most…
“I was guilty of being ‘wowed’ by my heroes because they mastered their strengths. At the time I was only aware of strengths, but sadly only their strengths and not their weaknesses, but when I analysed my playing, I was aware of my own weaknesses and not my strengths.” 
This is the reason Syn saved my playing. He was the ONLY guitar idol I had that said “I don’t consider myself the best. There’s so much I wish I could do but can’t. I have so much still to work on.”
Knowing that 1 of my idols was in fact human, was the biggest breath of fresh air I could have ever had. This was an amazing post Ben! Thank you for sharing!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

sally smith

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks so much for the motivation! I can tell you put a lot of thought into writing that. You gave me a different perspective on my own playing. I’ll do your task as well:
I think a strength of mine is being able to lock into a groove. When I started playing I had awful rhythm but it’s something I worked on and think I have improved greatly on. I’m able to “feel” a song a lot more easily.
I think a weakness is playing accurately. I tend to miss a lot of notes and do things sloppily which really brings my playing down a lot. To fix this, I’m going to play things over and over when I first learn them. There’s this quote, “Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong.” It’s pretty popular and I’m sure most of you have heard it, but it’s something I’m going to consider more when I’m practicing.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
A very nice post which is quite general in topic, not limited to musical aspect of life. this is dope. I hope everyone reads this. The clarity in this writing is amazing. I wonder though what triggered you to write this post @ben?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Great post!
    Here’s mine:
    I have a hard time pointing out a certain strength because there really is nothing yet I have mastered, or can do way better than something else. So I just go with my first achievement in playing guitar. One day I was playing one of my favorite solos of my favorite band and was like “wow, I never thought I would be able to do that someday”
    My biggest weakness might be my focus of lead and lack of rhythm while playing. I was never musical and only started out with guitar practicing solos and stuff about three years ago. Good news: I am working on it. knocking with my finger to the beat of the music when I am not playing, playing more riff and chord based stuff with my guitar. Hope to master it some day 🙂

G

@Sayonil, A few times now I have noticed a couple of people posting on the forum about feeling unmotivated, lost and are generally unhappy with their progress. It was a couple too many, and so I believed it was something that needed to be addressed. I wanted to show people that we are all human and we make mistakes, we slowly progress, we get things wrong…but that doesn’t matter. Because we do things wrong, so we can get it right. You dont get right without wrong. If we make mistakes its because we are learning and if we progress slowly, its because we are learning. I suffered with confidence years ago, and quickly followed anxiety and its a hard hole to climb out of. I’m probably still recovering from it, but I would hate for others to feel they are not moving forward with their playing, because from what I see on the video page, everyone does so bloody well and the best thing about it is, every person on here have their own unique characteristic they bring to this site, which essentially make this website one hell of a diverse rich community, where all together we make one knowledgable pack of guitarists. I hope people pick things out to suit other parts of their lives.

Josh Wright

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    As of right now one of my biggest strengths is I will play something over and over again until I get it, I may not be the fastest yet, I agent even attempted sweeping, but in playing five years I can say I’ve come a long way. Another strength I have is that I research why people play things the way they do, I have times of insomnia and in those times I watch YouTube video after YouTube video where it’s someone teaching riffs, or its someone explaining why they play something a certain way, or I watch gear demos and just try to figure out what they are doing while staring at a pedal. When I got my first guitar, my family couldn’t even afford an amp, I would just strum on the electric guitar barely able to hear it, didn’t know a chord, but I wanted to play so bad that I just made noise with it, and I’ve worked to keep that passion going. Another strength is that when I struggle with something I get frustrated but I don’t stop, I once played secret agent man for an entire day until I could play it all the way through without a single mess up.
    One of my biggest weaknesses bas to be burning myself out, I go for weeks playing all the time and then I’ll take a break. I’ll make a of of progress and then lose some of it all. Another weakness I have is I blame my gear, I know the gear isn’t what makes the guitarist good, although I have noticed I do sound a lot better through the really expensive stuff. Another weakness is that I don’t always follow through, so like I started the lessons here and then I got to a point where I just stopped and I don’t know why, I blame my adhd brain and that I see something new and shiny and that’s my new focus.
    Honestly this helped motivate me again, I recently fell into kind of a rut in my playing.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    G

Nice one Josh! I’m glad you took the time to reflect. Sometimes doing an activity as small as this can help you go a long way. It’s about the psychology of it. If you are in a position to say whats going right and whats going wrong, you are in a better position over all to accept challenges and identify change. Keep at the practice! 🙂