• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A new guitar

Syxguns

One Stringer
  • Feb 8, 2023
    Houston, Texas
    I don't know if a flying V is the body shape that you desire as per a previous post from @Little Laguna05.

There are things that would come in helpful when selecting a guitar.

1. What type of pickup configuration would you like?
    2. I would stay away from Floyd Rose tremolo. Not for beginners!
    3. As far as wood for the body, I would suggest Alder over Poplar because it is more sustainable.
    4. Is there a certain body style that you like?

The guitar you selected had a body made out of Basswood. That material is in abundance but as far as tone it is flat.

I found a Jackson for you which I trust only because of the brand name. The body is made with Poplar which is a little softer than Alder but sounds nice. I just don't know the longevity of the instrument. For a price of $300, it is not my go-to guitar of choice. Jackson

This guitar is a go-to for me at an incredible price. The body is made of Sycamore a harder wood than Alder. The name of the guitar is relatively new, Sawtooth. Don't let that steer you wrong. I purchased this 12-string just for playing at home and was blown away by the incredible way it was set up.

I assumed I might have to set intonation or make adjustments to the neck but it arrived perfect. I was impressed.
    Sawtooth 12-string

So the guitar I found for you is: Sawtooth

Problems with the selections that I am making for you are this. It is not a pack set-up with cables, picks, straps, mini-amp, etc. Those items will need to be purchased separately. You can grab all of those items for an extra 150.00. This guitar does not come with a tremolo bar either.

This last guitar in my little price hunt, I would purchase myself. Mahogany body and back, with a maple neck. Sawtooth Electric

Of course, my last selection is a little more costly. 450 bones for a pretty nice guitar with double humbucker pickups and a standard tremolo system. Perfect guitar for any guitarist and something a beginner could hold on to for years.

Last but not least, let me give you one more site you can use to help narrow down your search. https://findmyguitar.com
    You may set a price range and pay attention to the woods used. I hope that helps. 🤘

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jamie London
    Upvote 0

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    I don't know if a flying V is the body shape that you desire as per a previous post from @Little Laguna05.

3. As far as wood for the body, I would suggest Alder over Poplar because it is more sustainable.

The guitar you selected had a body made out of Basswood. That material is in abundance but as far as tone it is flat.

I found a Jackson for you which I trust only because of the brand name. The body is made with Poplar which is a little softer than Alder but sounds nice. I just don't know the longevity of the instrument. For a price of $300, it is not my go-to guitar of choice. Jackson

This guitar is a go-to for me at an incredible price. The body is made of Sycamore a harder wood than Alder. The name of the guitar is relatively new, Sawtooth. Don't let that steer you wrong. I purchased this 12-string just for playing at home and was blown away by the incredible way it was set up.

I assumed I might have to set intonation or make adjustments to the neck but it arrived perfect. I was impressed.
    Sawtooth 12-string

Problems with the selections that I am making for you are this. It is not a pack set-up with cables, picks, straps, mini-amp, etc. Those items will need to be purchased separately. You can grab all of those items for an extra 150.00. This guitar does not come with a tremolo bar either.

This last guitar in my little price hunt, I would purchase myself. Mahogany body and back, with a maple neck. Sawtooth Electric

Of course, my last selection is a little more costly. 450 bones for a pretty nice guitar with double humbucker pickups and a standard tremolo system. Perfect guitar for any guitarist and something a beginner could hold on to for years.

Last but not least, let me give you one more site you can use to help narrow down your search. https://findmyguitar.com
    You may set a price range and pay attention to the woods used. I hope that helps. 🤘
    Okay so I found a guitar that matches what you said and my price but the ones you listed are over my price.

Upvote 0

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    My favorite guitar to this day is my Tux-J by Sublime Guitar Company (SGC). Such a solid guitar, great for rhythm but also sounds great for lead. Very versatile, comfortable, and easy to play as well! I believe that they're out of business now, which is so unfortunate because everything the produced from guitars to pedals was top notch quality for very reasonable prices. You can still find some of their guitars used on eBay or Reverb around the price point you're looking for like this one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385249160353?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1O9sfNhUDQjy5tWiQSIBf0Q32&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=385249160353&targetid=1587268789337&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9032139&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1587268789337&abcId=9300697&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAjwiOCgBhAgEiwAjv5whBhXqtINdSMjuGD0a5ftSHFGKp79InaTCdfJXXkFu5PRkKMZ8cKrxhoCEEYQAvD_BwE

or this one: https://reverb.com/item/66545415-po...n0yT4vItKU49SMUq_eiqYXSDaxSZmoCBoCTR0QAvD_BwE

I love these guitars and don't think you can go wrong with almost any of their models! They may not be what you have in mind but felt like I should suggest em just in case!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Syxguns
    Upvote 0

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    My favorite guitar to this day is my Tux-J by Sublime Guitar Company (SGC). Such a solid guitar, great for rhythm but also sounds great for lead. Very versatile, comfortable, and easy to play as well! I believe that they're out of business now, which is so unfortunate because everything the produced from guitars to pedals was top notch quality for very reasonable prices. You can still find some of their guitars used on eBay or Reverb around the price point you're looking for like this one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385249160353?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1O9sfNhUDQjy5tWiQSIBf0Q32&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=385249160353&targetid=1587268789337&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9032139&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1587268789337&abcId=9300697&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAjwiOCgBhAgEiwAjv5whBhXqtINdSMjuGD0a5ftSHFGKp79InaTCdfJXXkFu5PRkKMZ8cKrxhoCEEYQAvD_BwE

or this one: https://reverb.com/item/66545415-po...n0yT4vItKU49SMUq_eiqYXSDaxSZmoCBoCTR0QAvD_BwE

I love these guitars and don't think you can go wrong with almost any of their models! They may not be what you have in mind but felt like I should suggest em just in case!
    Thanks! I’ll check them out!

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023

Sawtooth 12-string

Also the Flying V has been a guitar I would love to have, but the guitar I wish I could by is Syn’s new Dark Night guitar. it’s a beauty! It’s going to be a money goal for me haha!

Upvote 0

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    Okay so I know it’s been a while but I was looking for more guitars, to see what there was, but since I’m figuring out the Cortez, I need to find parts to replace for the Cortez.
    Here is the problem.

when I put the switch at the bridge pickup the volume works okay with it at the small numbers I have to flick or tap the knob to make it steady without the cutting, but the louder I make it the clearer, but for the middle pick up and the neck pickup it’s very staticky no matter what number the volume is on, and I believe (please correct me on this) the tone knob closest to the volume is for the neck pickup and the tone knob underneath that one is the middle pick up yes?)

Upvote 0

Syxguns

One Stringer
  • Feb 8, 2023
    Houston, Texas
    The pots on your guitar are giving you issues. 95% of the time, this problem can be repaired with a tiny spray of Deoxit D5. The first one in this link is all you need to breathe life back into that volume and tone knobs.

Deoxit D5

You can open up the back of the guitar to see the pots. A tiny spray of Deoxit D5 in the window of each pot, and then turn the knob back and forth multiple times to work it in. This will clear debris from the pot, and your knobs volume and tone knobs should work fine again.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection