• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A small doubt

Which one should I spend more money ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Personally, I would upgrade the guitar. Throwing great pickups into an entry level guitar is like putting a Ferrari engine in an old Datsun.

As for your poll question (again personal opinion), I would spend more on the guitar, primarily because you can get some great solid state amps these days for a really good price.

Reactions: Adithya
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Just walk into the store (if you can...) and play a guitar until you find one that feels good. Price isn't an issue here if you're upgrading from beginner to first real guitar. My revenger was.only 680 when I got it. And to this day it's my go to.

Reactions: Adithya

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    If you upgrade the humbucker on the beginner guitar, could you take it out again later and put it in another guitar? I'm scared to test it cause I only got 1 guitar.
    Definitely! As long as you don't damage the copper wiring (which should be under some protective tape) or the wires that you solder to the volume/tone pots which isn't easy to do as long as you watch what you're doing/go into it knowing what to do. I've seen videos of Ryan Bruce from Riffs Beards and Gear install and remove 4 or 5 different pickups into 1 guitar to test out how different certain pickups can sound/affect your tone.

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    As others have said, the guitar is your personal and intimate connection to the music. The amp channels it, but the connection comes between hands and strings. Ultimately, it depends on whether or not this particular guitar "feels like home" to you. If it FEELS perfect, then upgrade the pieces you don't like until it SOUNDS right to you.

Odds are strong, though, that the entry level guitar will not FEEL like the best guitar in the world to you. I would suggest finding that guitar, and then saving up for the SGS-50, or at least a Boss Katana.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Definitely! As long as you don't damage the copper wiring (which should be under some protective tape) or the wires that you solder to the volume/tone pots which isn't easy to do as long as you watch what you're doing/go into it knowing what to do. I've seen videos of Ryan Bruce from Riffs Beards and Gear install and remove 4 or 5 different pickups into 1 guitar to test out how different certain pickups can sound/affect your tone.
    I should probably practice connecting stuff first. There was some tin that came with the solder machine, I tried to mix it with copper from my speaker. The tip has tin all over it, do I need a new tip? Getting copper stuff to melt if I can find it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I should probably practice connecting stuff first. There was some tin that came with the solder machine, I tried to mix it with copper from my speaker. The tip has tin all over it, do I need a new tip? Getting copper stuff to melt if I can find it.

You do not want the copper to melt at all. You want the tin to melt and solidify the electrical connection between the two pieces of copper or the copper and the metal of the connector on the pot. Please read and watch videos (or watch someone do it in front of you) before you attempt to solder. It's actually not easy to learn and if you don't do it 100% right, it can really make the guitar sound terrible.

Tin on the soldering iron is fine. Don't touch the hot part.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    You do not want the copper to melt at all. You want the tin to melt and solidify the electrical connection between the two pieces of copper or the copper and the metal of the connector on the pot. Please read and watch videos (or watch someone do it in front of you) before you attempt to solder. It's actually not easy to learn and if you don't do it 100% right, it can really make the guitar sound terrible.

Tin on the soldering iron is fine. Don't touch the hot part.
    So it's ok to use Tin on Copper wires? I don't know what color the wires are inside my guitar, my speaker had bronze colored and I put Tin on it. I'll check out videos for sure, I'm not wanting to mess up my guitar anytime soon. There's like a globe of solid Tin on the tip, I did everything I wasn't suppose to do on my first attempt. :LOL:

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So it's ok to use Tin on Copper wires? I don't know what color the wires are inside my guitar, my speaker had bronze colored and I put Tin on it. I'll check out videos for sure, I'm not wanting to mess up my guitar anytime soon. There's like a globe of solid Tin on the tip, I did everything I wasn't suppose to do on my first attempt. :LOL:
    Solder is always a tin-based alloy, yes - it melts quickly, cools fast, and conducts electricity.

Reactions: William B.