• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A WAKE-UP CALL TO SHY BEGINNERS!!!: Please, DON'T BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR MISTAKES

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
I've been thinking a lot about this lately, especially since I jumped in in the improv challenge that @Ids Schiere started.

The thing is that thanks to the challenge I'm exposing myself a lot, all my weaker spots show up when I try an improv and this is definitely waking me up as a player, making me much more aware of everything I need to improve. I'm going over a lot of the lessons and it is really helping me set new higher goals on music theory and picking techniques.

But beyond that, every single video I've posted in the school has been helping me see what I have to keep working on, and every single comment giving me suggestions and tips to improve that I've got so far along the way, has been encouraging and eye opening. We are lucky to belong to this community that offers all of us the possibility to interact with other players of different levels and get awesome advice from the most advanced ones. PG @Brian Haner Sr. giving me his feedback has been like god himself speaking to me, lol, others like @Ed Seith, @Jak Angelescu, @Ids Schiere, @Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar ...they've always helped sooooo much. This is the essence of this community, helping each other, and I feel really thankful.

I've been playing for 3 years now, I'm still a beginner and I'll stay here for a while, I'm not a fast learner, but this is my own pace and it's ok with me, we all have different learning processes. I was already 44 when I started and it's not easy in my daily life to be in touch with other guitar students. The school has given me the opportunity to interact with real classmates and I love it and I'm enjoying my learning.

There are some other beginners here who are really inspiring, like @Alicia Willis, @Kim La, @ari.mac, not afraid to post their videos playing slowly, with mistakes, showing their awesome progress, asking their questions,...growing up as players.
I do post a lot of videos showing mistakes and weaknesses, because that's exactly what learning is about, making mistakes and learning from them. It is really cool and rewarding to post whatever you are nailing, but it's even more beautiful to see the full process that brought you there, showing your effort. You can't get help from others if you never show your weaker spots. There are really talented players here but, you know what?: none of them was born knowing how to play, not even Syn 🙃 This is a school and we're here to learn and guitar is a lifelong journey.

So please, GATHER ALL YOUR COURAGE, POST YOUR VIDEOS, SHOW YOUR PROGRESS, KEEP ROCKING!! 🤟🎸

Last edited:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I learn from watching/listening and people asking questions or sharing their thoughts, as well as the critique/suggestions.
    If I never saw or heard some things I would have never known it was possible or given me other ideas. I guess sharing is caring
    Forgot to mention I get inspiration too, like sometimes I'll forget about adding an arpeggio or double stop or something to my playing. Kind of a reminder of like "hey don't forget you can add this or that too" or "try this next time"

Reactions: Mariler and Kim

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I've been thinking a lot about this lately, especially since I jumped in in the improv challenge that @Ids Schiere started.

The thing is that thanks to the challenge I'm exposing myself a lot, all my weaker spots show up when I try an improv and this is definitely waking me up as a player, making me much more aware of everything I need to improve. I'm going over a lot of the lessons and it is really helping me set new higher goals on music theory and picking techniques.

But beyond that, every single video I've posted in the school has been helping me see what I have to keep working on, and every single comment giving me suggestions and tips to improve that I've got so far along the way, has been encouraging and eye opening. We are lucky to belong to this community that offers all of us the possibility to interact with other players of different levels and get awesome advice from the most advanced ones. PG @Brian Haner Sr. giving me his feedback has been like god himself speaking to me, lol, others like @Ed Seith, @Jak Angelescu, @Ids Schiere, @Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar
    ...they've always helped sooooo much. This is the essence of this community, helping each other, and I feel really thankful.

I've been playing for 3 years now, I'm still a beginner and I'll stay here for a while, I'm not a fast learner, but this is my own pace and it's ok with me, we all have different learning processes. I was already 44 when I started and it's not easy in my daily life to be in touch with other guitar students. The school has given me the opportunity to interact with real classmates and I love it and I'm enjoying my learning.

There are some other beginners here who are really inspiring, like @Alicia Willis, @Kim La, @ari.mac, not afraid to post their videos playing slowly, with mistakes, showing their awesome progress, asking their questions,...growing up as players.
    I do post a lot of videos showing mistakes and weaknesses, because that's exactly what learning is about, making mistakes and learning from them. It is really cool and rewarding to post whatever you are nailing, but it's even more beautiful to see the full process that brought you there, showing your effort. You can't get help from others if you never show your weaker spots. There are really talented players here but, you know what?: none of them was born knowing how to play, not even Syn 🙃 This is a school and we're here to learn and guitar is a lifelong journey.

So please, GATHER ALL YOUR COURAGE, POST YOUR VIDEOS, SHOW YOUR PROGRESS, KEEP ROCKING!! 🤟🎸
    Great Post! You really are inspiring and O Hope you can encourage more beginners to get active!

Kinda Jealous as I am playing for over 5 years now and really suck in all Things improvising!

Reactions: Mariler and Kim

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Dominik Gräber Improvise on one fret/string with power chords in drop D. Try to learn the Do,Re,Mi,Fa,Sol,La,Ti-Do or alphabet song by ear. Start on a note where you can go back down to the lowest and not cause a problem. Experiment, try a riff you like and change the picking pattern/mutes/tempo anything you like try to learn it a little and play around with it. It's kind of getting comfortable with your instrument like an athlete would a ball for example. Eventually it will be an extension of yourself, I liked your improv. Maybe you should try it more often even just alone over your favorite songs (even just 3-4 notes every min or so is good) You don't have to share, even though that is a hurtle that'll still be there waiting. Jealousy will probably hold anyone back at anything, admiration is the way to personal growth, I'd say.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    @Dominik Gräber Improvise on one fret/string with power chords in drop D. Try to learn the Do,Re,Mi,Fa,Sol,La,Ti-Do or alphabet song by ear. Start on a note where you can go back down to the lowest and not cause a problem. Experiment, try a riff you like and change the picking pattern/mutes/tempo anything you like try to learn it a little and play around with it. It's kind of getting comfortable with your instrument like an athlete would a ball for example. Eventually it will be an extension of yourself, I liked your improv. Maybe you should try it more often even just alone over your favorite songs (even just 3-4 notes every min or so is good) You don't have to share, even though that is a hurtle that'll still be there waiting. Jealousy will probably hold anyone back at anything, admiration is the way to personal growth, I'd say.
    Thanks for the Tips man! I May try it Out at some Point!
    And admiration is the better Word for it, you're right!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Great Post! You really are inspiring and O Hope you can encourage more beginners to get active!

Kinda Jealous as I am playing for over 5 years now and really suck in all Things improvising!
    Thank you!! You are another one of the students always willing to help.

About improvising I guess being old helps me in two ways: 1st is that I've heard a lot of music over the years and somehow it remains there and the 2nd and most important is that the older you get, nothing is too embarrassing anymore, so if I fuck it up it's just ok, I'll just post it anyway 😆

You are much better than me in technique, so we are even ;)

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    I learn from watching/listening and people asking questions or sharing their thoughts, as well as the critique/suggestions.
    If I never saw or heard some things I would have never known it was possible or given me other ideas. I guess sharing is caring
    Forgot to mention I get inspiration too, like sometimes I'll forget about adding an arpeggio or double stop or something to my playing. Kind of a reminder of like "hey don't forget you can add this or that too" or "try this next time"
    I like when you say sharing is caring

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

But beyond that, every single video I've posted in the school has been helping me see what I have to keep working on, and every single comment giving me suggestions and tips to improve that I've got so far along the way, has been encouraging and eye opening. We are lucky to belong to this community that offers all of us the possibility to interact with other players of different levels and get awesome advice from the most advanced ones. PG @Brian Haner Sr. giving me his feedback has been like god himself speaking to me, lol, others like @Ed Seith, @Jak Angelescu, @Ids Schiere, @Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar ...they've always helped sooooo much. This is the essence of this community, helping each other, and I feel really thankful.

I think posts like this are why @Syn Gates and @Brian Haner Sr. started this school. Truly awesome post, and I loved reading it.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Oh my God I'm so honored!! @Mariler Ferrer 🖤🖤 You are one of the players on this school that inspired me to post here so soon in my journey, I never thought I would do that when I signed up and yet here I am..also because of you! By the way, this community and everyone in it is amazing 😍

Last edited:

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Oh my God I'm so honored!! @Mariler Ferrer 🖤🖤 You are one of the players on this school that inspired me to post here so soon in my journey, I never thought I would do that when I signed up and yet here I am..also because of you! By the way, this community and everyone in it is amazing 😍
    wow thank you! It's really awesome to hear that! 🥰
    You'll see the more you post the more you learn because of the help you get. You are doing a great job you can be proud of. Happy to have you on board!!

• Love
    Reactions: ari.mac

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Speaking as someone who is shy to post... Haha
    It must be some extension to social media pressures. Posting imperfect things etc.
    I’ll have to slowly absorb your post and see if it changes anything in me :)
    We all mess up, even the professionals. Imperfect is real.
    I understand it can be embarrassing posting videos showing mistakes, but the point is that the riff section here is another amazing learning tool of the school besides the lessons. When I joined the school I thought that section would be full of show-offs shredding and it was a nice surprise to see people like me learning, trying to improve, asking what they don't know...without pressure.
    I know it takes time to feel comfortable with the videos you post. It really took me a long time to start posting mine. I really hope this post can help you look at things different, just take your time. 🙃

• Love
    Reactions: ari.mac