• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar A7X Dexter Amp?

DXMG503

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
What exactly is the “Dexter” amp Avenged Sevenfold used on Hail to the King?

In the Breakdown video for Shepherd of Fire (see below), a couple of the guitar tracks are labeled “Dexter” as mentioned by Shadows.

This sound is used throughout the album. I’ve heard an isolated track of it, and it sounds an awful lot like the Bogner tone used on all the other A7X Albums, but I’ve never seen or heard anyone call that Bogner “Dexter” and I’m not sure if the band has access to it anymore. I know they have their own Uberschall that’s a bit beat up and taped in some spots, so maybe that’s what they’re referring to.

Anyone have ideas?

Reactions: William B.

DXMG503

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey @Awex Came thanks for the info!

I’ve seen the Green Day amp, but I didn’t think that could possibly be it - hilarious! That’s pretty cool about the Bogner amp too - I was wondering what on earth it was all taped up for.

Man, I just want to say how much I really appreciate your input on here! Back in the early 2000s when I first became a fan of the band and was trying to learn more about the guitar - and the internet was still a relatively early thing - I would search high and low for hours and days trying to find info like this in magazines, on CDs, or try and catch a glimpse of the gear in a really poor quality live video. I’ve spent years and years trying to figure out what these guys are doing for their sound (because I love it) and this website and school and members have opened up a whole new world I never imagined would be possible.

I know lots of pros say you shouldn’t try and copy someone’s sound and just make your own, so it shouldn’t matter what gear or settings a band uses, but I disagree with that a fair bit. I think for new players who are still learning the very basics of tone and gear, it makes a world of difference for them to see what it is that creates the sounds they already love - that helps them understand what it is they actually like about it, so then they can use that to form their own stuff down the road.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend
May 23, 2021
Hey @Awex Came thanks for the info!

I’ve seen the Green Day amp, but I didn’t think that could possibly be it - hilarious! That’s pretty cool about the Bogner amp too - I was wondering what on earth it was all taped up for.

Man, I just want to say how much I really appreciate your input on here! Back in the early 2000s when I first became a fan of the band and was trying to learn more about the guitar - and the internet was still a relatively early thing - I would search high and low for hours and days trying to find info like this in magazines, on CDs, or try and catch a glimpse of the gear in a really poor quality live video. I’ve spent years and years trying to figure out what these guys are doing for their sound (because I love it) and this website and school and members have opened up a whole new world I never imagined would be possible.

I know lots of pros say you shouldn’t try and copy someone’s sound and just make your own, so it shouldn’t matter what gear or settings a band uses, but I disagree with that a fair bit. I think for new players who are still learning the very basics of tone and gear, it makes a world of difference for them to see what it is that creates the sounds they already love - that helps them understand what it is they actually like about it, so then they can use that to form their own stuff down the road.
No problem man, always glad to help. I was always a fan first, so I love to bridge information between Syn & people in their circle and the other fans. I’m very lucky to be in a position where I can do that. Obviously there’s a lot of things I can’t say, but I give info when I can.

I think it’s always a good idea to understand someone’s sound, at least the basic ideas. Single Coil vs Humbucker sound, what a Marshall sounds like, different effects etc. so when you have a sound in your head, you know where to start.

DXMG503

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
No problem man, always glad to help. I was always a fan first, so I love to bridge information between Syn & people in their circle and the other fans. I’m very lucky to be in a position where I can do that. Obviously there’s a lot of things I can’t say, but I give info when I can.

I think it’s always a good idea to understand someone’s sound, at least the basic ideas. Single Coil vs Humbucker sound, what a Marshall sounds like, different effects etc. so when you have a sound in your head, you know where to start.
Totally! I think another big thing is that once you understand how the sounds you like are formed - especially for younger fans who are just starting out and don’t have a lot of money - you realize that you don’t actually have to go out and blow thousands of dollars on gear to achieve what you want to hear - there are lots of different routes you can take to achieve a sound, and that’s a game changer.

I’ll never forget the day I figured out that the main component I love of Johnny’s bass tone (the “clank” I would call it) doesn’t come from the $2,000 Gallien Krueger amp and cab (though that’s part of it of course) - it comes from a $30 set of fresh, heavy gauge strings. Game changer.