• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

ABBEY ROAD by The Beatles

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
:syngates:Yo family! My record of the month for November is Abbey Road by The Beatles. This is my personal fav album by my fav band(tied w Bungle of course).

I’ve always gone back and forth between Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey but as I’ve gotten older, Abbey is just so solid and clever that it continues to increase its lead to me. The medley on the back half is nothing short of pure genius and the different soundscapes, vocally and beyond that the front half procures, take me to another dimension. A dimension where all perceived “rules” of music are either summarily dismissed, or used as China for the proverbial Bull in that proverbial China shop.

This is also the only album in existence where I don’t have a favorite song. I simply can not pick one. I do however, have a least favorite and that is Come Together; a smash hit classic covered by many other legends. Also, I fucking LOVE that song with all of my heart, but it is clearly and always has been, my least favorite song on the record. As it may speak to my shoddy coding as a human program, I believe it to speak to the level of brilliance that is the entire record.

Questions I’d love answered by my beautiful family!

-Fav song
-Fav solo
-Clever chord changes that stick out(always my life pursuit)
-Insight into George Martin’s production genius and notable moments
-Interesting arrangements vocally and orchestrally

Don’t confine yourself to these if they don’t inspire thoughts, these are just ideas that stick out to me. I’m also VERY curious to hear other ideas or discoveries in hopes that a new way to listen to this masterpiece will be revealed for myself and others.

Can’t fucking wait to hang out with you!!

All my love,

Syn
:syngates:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Fuck, where do I even begin. I want to say this is by far my favourite records of all time but rubber soul, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber soul and The stage also exist so that would be a bit of an overstatement.

This is one of the records where when it ends I want to either listen to it again or listen to a different beatles record because frankly a lot of music dissapoint me a little bit after I listen to the beatles 😅

As far as my favourite moments of the record goes it's the medleys. Sun King, mean mr mustard, polythene Pam and she came in through the bathroom window is absolutely genius! Golden slumbers, carry that weight and the end is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Funny thing about these medleys is that Her majesty was supposed to be on it but they cut it. Also the 2 medleys where supposed to be one and include her majesty.

Fav song is a hard time to really pick one. The one I'd really like to mention is I want you(she's so heavy). The chord progression is absolutely amazing and gives a really dark vibe which I love. The two things that really stick out to me is that that song is 6 minutes long and the lyrics have only 15 unique words across the whole song and it doesn't bother me at all! Another cool thing about that song is the Moog synthesizer(I think it's a Moog synthesizer but could be wrong here) that creates the woosh sound during the outro, it adds so much depth and I love it!

Fav solo is a tie between george harrison's solos in something and the end. I think both of those could be considered the best Beatles solos(yes I like them more than Eric clapton's solo in while my guitar gently weeps)

Another song I love is maxwell's silver hammer. I love the bang bang sound in that song which is recorded by hitting an anvil and the Moog synthesizer solo is just genius!

Another notable song is you never give me your money. That song is multiple songs in one and the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all good children go to heaven bit is catchy and always cracks me up.

I probably could go into each song individually if I have to 😅

P.s. I have also definitely joked about having the album cover tattoos on my ass for all the obvious reasons 🤣

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
As far as clever chord changes go in because theres a part where it goes D-D(b5)-Ddim(underneath the ah bit) which is pretty damn cool! Before that there's A7-A7add13 which is cool too!

In carry that weight there's a bit that goes Csus4-C-Cmaj7

There are some others too but the one I want to point out in particular is something. That's probably the most beautiful chord progression I've ever heard. It also happens to be my favourite love song(Frank Sinatra agrees with me and I think he knows a thing or two about love songs)

C-Cmaj7-C7-F-F/E-D7-G-Am-Am(maj7)-Am7-D9 is just genius

Fun fact about that one, it's actually not about a girl, it's about hare Krishna. george used she because it was weird to write a song with those lyrics using he

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Abbey road is such an amazing album! I grew up on the Beatles and I even have a framed picture of the album cover above my bed that I got when I was 11! The only good guitar teacher I had knew how much I loved the Beatles that he got me a Paul McCartney pick from his trip to Liverpool and I cherish that pick :ROFLMAO:

my favourite songs would have to be here comes the sun and octopus’s garden. Here comes the sun will always be a favourite of mine because it just reminds me of when I was a little kid cuz I heard it play a lot (bee movie.... 😬) as for octopus’s garden it’s just such a good song and makes me feel so happy! Plus I’m a big sucker for the songs ringo sings I just love him!

As for fav solos it would have to be the solos in the end! Their Just so catchy and I’d say fairly simple and not too crazy which I love! Also the style it’s played in just screams Beatles and I find the solos pretty recognizable.

Id love to go into chord progressions and stuff but I don’t know music theory 😬 I’m really ashamed of that! As soon as covid is done I’m gonna take lessons. I tried myself but it’s not happening.

Also Im horrible at explaining why I like the songs and bands I do but I tried :ROFLMAO: I just like stuff cuz I like it lol

thanks for sharing this amazing album syn!!

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Fuck, where do I even begin. I want to say this is by far my favourite records of all time but rubber soul, Sgt. Pepper, Rubber soul and The stage also exist so that would be a bit of an overstatement.

This is one of the records where when it ends I want to either listen to it again or listen to a different beatles record because frankly a lot of music dissapoint me a little bit after I listen to the beatles 😅

As far as my favourite moments of the record goes it's the medleys. Sun King, mean mr mustard, polythene Pam and she came in through the bathroom window is absolutely genius! Golden slumbers, carry that weight and the end is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. Funny thing about these medleys is that Her majesty was supposed to be on it but they cut it. Also the 2 medleys where supposed to be one and include her majesty.

Fav song is a hard time to really pick one. The one I'd really like to mention is I want you(she's so heavy). The chord progression is absolutely amazing and gives a really dark vibe which I love. The two things that really stick out to me is that that song is 6 minutes long and the lyrics have only 15 unique words across the whole song and it doesn't bother me at all! Another cool thing about that song is the Moog synthesizer(I think it's a Moog synthesizer but could be wrong here) that creates the woosh sound during the outro, it adds so much depth and I love it!

Fav solo is a tie between george harrison's solos in something and the end. I think both of those could be considered the best Beatles solos(yes I like them more than Eric clapton's solo in while my guitar gently weeps)

Another song I love is maxwell's silver hammer. I love the bang bang sound in that song which is recorded by hitting an anvil and the Moog synthesizer solo is just genius!

Another notable song is you never give me your money. That song is multiple songs in one and the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all good children go to heaven bit is catchy and always cracks me up.

I probably could go into each song individually if I have to 😅

P.s. I have also definitely joked about having the album cover tattoos on my ass for all the obvious reasons 🤣
    Why do I remember you joking about the ass tattoo of the album cover :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
    Reactions: idssdi

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    As someone who listens to practically nothing of The Beatles, I think I'll give this album a go this afternoon. I didn't grow up listening to them and since none of my family members that I know of listen to them I never really gave their music a listen chance besides Hey Jude and Yesterday. Curious to see how much I'll enjoy it.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    Here's a cool story:

I have a photography class in college, and last week we were supposed to present a photography of our choice that is striking something with us. I of course wanted it to be music related somehow, and I initially thought about using the Vulgar Display of Power front cover, but I didn't want to end up looking like a total wacko (even though I am, duh...), so I used none other than Abbey Road front cover for my project. The professor really liked it and we had a segment of 100 Greatest Photograhps by Time Magazine, and one of the photos was The Beatles having a pillow fight in a hotel - so my professor connected that segment with my photo, which was a cool moment. I also spoke to him about Tool in a prior class, so he gets my love for music haha.

But yeah, Abbey Road is so iconic. Even me who isn't hugely into The Beatles appreciates that record (Sgt. Pepper and Revolver as well). Everybody should listen to this record. It's not even about your taste, it's about having culture.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I'm not gonna lie (and please, guys, no hate), I don't like The Beatles 🤐
    But, since I'm always open to new discoveries and to dive into Syn's inspirations, I'm gonna listen to the album and take notes to post here later. I hope it leads me into an unexpected journey.
    Thank you, Syn! I appreciate so much what you're doing here. ❤

Reactions: Syn Gates

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    :syngates:Yo family! My record of the month for November is Abbey Road by The Beatles. This is my personal fav album by my fav band(tied w Bungle of course).

I’ve always gone back and forth between Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey but as I’ve gotten older, Abbey is just so solid and clever that it continues to increase its lead to me. The medley on the back half is nothing short of pure genius and the different soundscapes, vocally and beyond that the front half procures, take me to another dimension. A dimension where all perceived “rules” of music are either summarily dismissed, or used as China for the proverbial Bull in that proverbial China shop.

This is also the only album in existence where I don’t have a favorite song. I simply can not pick one. I do however, have a least favorite and that is Come Together; a smash hit classic covered by many other legends. Also, I fucking LOVE that song with all of my heart, but it is clearly and always has been, my least favorite song on the record. As it may speak to my shoddy coding as a human program, I believe it to speak to the level of brilliance that is the entire record.

-Fav song
    -Fav solo

Don’t confine yourself to these if they don’t inspire thoughts, these are just ideas that stick out to me. I’m also VERY curious to hear other ideas or discoveries in hopes that a new way to listen to this masterpiece will be revealed for myself and others.

All my love,

Syn
    Yo Syn!!!
    how are you? i hope everything is fine. well, abbey road is a classic, a masterpiece, like all the beatles albums. they’re just magical, they‘re history, we have all had them as idols and inspiration at least once in our life. personally, my favorite song is I Want You (She's So Heavy) accompanied by Here Comes The Sun, it literally makes me dream. great choice! and thanks for sharing this wonderful album with us. love ya a lot.🖤

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    I’ve always felt the same way about “Come Together” haha! I was raised on The Beatles (British grandparents lol), they were the first band I ever truly loved and really set me down the path of my musical journey (and instilled a deep love for music as a whole). Sgt Pepper is still my favorite album by them.. we’ll I think so anyways, it’s tough to pick just one, but Abbey Road is right there along with it. It’s literally overflowing with masterpieces. The second half, that medley, is literally mind altering. If I had to pick a favorite song, I’d have to say it‘s a toss up between “Something and ”Golden Slumbers”. Teenage me would probably say “Something” but 28 year old me probably says “Golden Slumbers” haha. :money-face:
    There are moments when “Golden Slumbers” will literally bring me to the point of tears out of fucking nowhere. It’s just that type of song and I’m an emotional SOB 😅
    “Something” does feature my favorite solo work of the album though. Good old George.

Last edited:

TheTroller

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 16, 2020
    I'm not gonna lie (and please, guys, no hate), I don't like The Beatles 🤐
    But, since I'm always open to new discoveries and to dive into Syn's inspirations, I'm gonna listen to the album and take notes to post here later. I hope it leads me into an unexpected journey.
    Thank you, Syn! I appreciate so much what you're doing here. ❤
    To be honest, I don't really (for the most part) enjoy anything from the 20th Century from the Anglosphere before Malmsteen, Rhoads, and EVH (Two of them were literally Non-English Europeans).

Yosi Yamin

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    youtu.be

-Fav song
    -Fav solo

All my love,

Syn
    Hey Syn! Hope you've been doing well brother.
    I'm excited to finally give The Beatles a proper go. I wanted to do so far a long time and listened to a few of their songs and I loved them - I'll definitely listen to the whole record and share what I thought!
    P.S I still can't believe how great Mr.Bungle is. I'm totally addicted to them and they have been on repeat ever since you made the post about Disco Volante. I truly thank you for opening the Bungle world to me! 🤘🏻🔥

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Thought I’d share my framed abbey road cover! It’s printed on wood which is pretty awesome compared to having a print or just a poster! I got it at hmv which is now not a thing anymore :ROFLMAO: at least in Canada

8BD76084-91DB-45CF-A516-E71BA68E307D.jpeg

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I’ve honestly never listen to this entire album, I do know a few songs off it quite well (thanks mom and dad! 😂)

I’m going to make it a point to actually listen to the entire album and will report back lol.

Edit: so, I put the album on shuffle and have heard a few and I was just like “meh”

but then “because” came on. Never heard that one before and I may be in love with it.
    I was immediately captivated by the intro and then when the vocals came in I was raising my eyebrow yet smiling..... can’t articulate why I like it... but it gave me goosebumps.

Last edited:
    G

Gemma G.S.

Aaaahhhh I can't wait to talk about this one - the Beatles have such a special place in my heart, 'cause they've been my mom's #1 favorite since she was a teen so I grew up with her playing their albums all the time. She and I actually discussed it the other day and she called Abbey Road "arguably the best rock album ever produced." 😄😍 It'll be hard to pick favorites off of it!

Reactions: ari.mac and idssdi