• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

ABBEY ROAD by The Beatles

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thanks for sharing that with us, I’m sure it wasn’t easy but hopefully cathartic.

Take your time and I hope that it comes to you with comfort and inspiration my brother:pink-heart:
    Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot. I really feel comfortable sharing anything here!

And yes, I know that when the time is right, the Beatles will become huge for me! And they will help me keep the memories alive for as long as I live!

Reactions: Gemma G.S.

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    Honestly I've never heard the whole album. Yes, I know most of the songs as "Come together" is a classic, clearly a masterpiece. I've heard it for many years at family gatherings and in many places. I've finally heard the whole album, I've heard "Oh Darling" several times. I already knew this song, but I haven't heard it in a long time, it has a lot of strength in every chord and the voice is perfect!.

My favorite song, it's hard to choose one!!... I really like "i want you (she's so heavy) , the guitar chords and the whole orchestra mix to perfection creating a unique melody.

I really like the Solo from “You never give me your Money”, as the guitar sounds throughout the song, really amazing and also "the End", sounds great!!

The song "Because" is magical the way the choruses come together at the beginning of the song, I really liked it and "Golden Slumbers" has blown my head is beautiful from the voice to the rhythm and chords, choruses... everything is a unique creation, it goes directly to my playlist!!

I wish I could learn more about chord changes so I could give you a better opinion on it, and I'll also do more research about George Martin's production.

@Syn Gates Thank you so much Syn! for giving us the opportunity to express ourselves and listen to very good music and read our answers and share our thoughts! I admire you so much and you are my favorite guitarist! you have a big heart!! I love you so much! You're the Best! 🤘 ❤️

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Okay so never been a huge beatles fan. But after giving this record a listen, i think ive changed my mind. So here we goooo.

Favorite song, its a tossup! Between Come together (such a classic) and I want you, two seriously groovy songs. I want you is seriously heavy and not something youd think of if you DONT know much about the beatles. Hell, i thought they were mostly a pop-rock band from the 60s, and i now realize how wrong i was.

Exapnding on that, i noticed in not only the drum beats, the solo’s, melodies, how much they influenced so many of my favorite artists and wrote the general blueprint for blues, rock, etc. seriously. I see why they were so big.

Favorite solo has to be in “The End” it just has all the elements of my favorite things in a blues solo. And it kinda comes outta no where and just knocks you over and before you know it, its gone! Love it

I still cant say im a huge beatles fan, just because a lot of their most popular songs, were incredibly overplayed as i was growing up, be it the radio, or the one teacher i had that was obsessed with the beatles. Either one lmao.

Loving these monthly recommendations Syn! Youre the first person in the world to actually get me to give the beatles a good listen 😂😂 Keep em coming!

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Favorite song, its a tossup! Between Come together (such a classic) and I want you, two seriously groovy songs. I want you is seriously heavy and not something youd think of if you DONT know much about the beatles. Hell, i thought they were mostly a pop-rock band from the 60s, and i now realize how wrong i was.
    Those were my exact thoughts! I'm used to hearing the famous clip of I Want to Hold Your Hand from the Ed Sullivan appearance, Hey Jude, and Come Together. That was a lot darker and heavier than I thought the Beatles went. That song caught me off guard the most on Abbey Road.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Those were my exact thoughts! I'm used to hearing the famous clip of I Want to Hold Your Hand from the Ed Sullivan appearance, Hey Jude, and Come Together. That was a lot darker and heavier than I thought the Beatles went. That song caught me off guard the most on Abbey Road.
    It was a pleasant surprise! I got major “babe im gonna leave you” vibes from it!

This Is clearly a brilliant album, although I think I haven’t dive that deep on its complexity yet. I need a little bit more zen connection with it. But I do have a favorite song cause it clicked on me at first listen which is She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, and now that I heard it again, it got stuck on my head. 😂 I love everything about it, for me (by now) is the best from the medley. It has that groovy feeling right from the beginning like a party of rhythms and non stop doses of cheerful energy... And with the Beatles thingy I just remembered this movie called “I Am Sam” where the whole soundtrack album is a bunch of Beatles covers by different artists, and some of them are pretty nice, i recommend it!.

And! I have a little suggestion/question maybe for future/bonus sharing?, I would love to know which songs you’d pick up if you had to make a road trip playlist. 🤭 ✨🚗

This is my first time writing btw, I love what you’re doing here Syn, much love.💛 Take care y’all

TristynsterGatesJrJr

New Student
    Nov 22, 2020
    :syngates:Yo family! My record of the month for November is Abbey Road by The Beatles. This is my personal fav album by my fav band(tied w Bungle of course).

I’ve always gone back and forth between Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey but as I’ve gotten older, Abbey is just so solid and clever that it continues to increase its lead to me. The medley on the back half is nothing short of pure genius and the different soundscapes, vocally and beyond that the front half procures, take me to another dimension. A dimension where all perceived “rules” of music are either summarily dismissed, or used as China for the proverbial Bull in that proverbial China shop.

This is also the only album in existence where I don’t have a favorite song. I simply can not pick one. I do however, have a least favorite and that is Come Together; a smash hit classic covered by many other legends. Also, I fucking LOVE that song with all of my heart, but it is clearly and always has been, my least favorite song on the record. As it may speak to my shoddy coding as a human program, I believe it to speak to the level of brilliance that is the entire record.

Questions I’d love answered by my beautiful family!

-Fav song
    -Fav solo
    -Clever chord changes that stick out(always my life pursuit)
    -Insight into George Martin’s production genius and notable moments
    -Interesting arrangements vocally and orchestrally

Don’t confine yourself to these if they don’t inspire thoughts, these are just ideas that stick out to me. I’m also VERY curious to hear other ideas or discoveries in hopes that a new way to listen to this masterpiece will be revealed for myself and others.

Can’t fucking wait to hang out with you!!

All my love,

Syn
    :syngates:
    In terms of favorite solo, there's quick drum solo in the last half of the medley that's my absolute favorite, only because of the lore surrounding it.

I heard that Ringo was taking issues with doing a drum solo, so the guys had him record a drum track for a song, without him knowing it was going to be used as a solo in the Medley.

I also enjoy this because we have forsure one definitive song where all of The Beatles play a solo.

This is all taken with a grain of salt ofcourse 🧂

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    So I've just finished the album and I'm kicking myself that I've never listened to it back to back before!

The only way I can describe it is a musical feast 👌 I sat with this one tried to type notes for every song so I wouldn't forget what stood out - my favorite track kept changing as I listened too.

Favorite track (s)

- 'Because'
    - Out of all the impressive modulations I had heard on the run up to this tune (and even during) , the one thing that got me overall was the backing vocal line on 'blows my mi-i-i-i-i-i-ind' - it's like when I was listening I kept waiting for it to come round again because it was so haunting, like I needed to hear it again. Loved the whole Harmonic Minor rising into Lydian type thing it had going too, then rising into D major, right into D minor, then settling back into the original key - so strange but so fun.
    Here Comes The Sun - this was my favorite mix to listen to as the whole song is tuned pretty sharp, so it gives it this really pretty & jangley brightness/airiness. Tried looking it up and people on Beatles forums talk about how certain songs are sped up, so it could be that. But really pretty song overall.

Fave Solo - The End - The Guitar tone was killer and the phrasing was nice and Rocky/bluesy/a bit off the wall too, just not caring. The continuous backing vocal motif in the background also made the whole solo section even catchier. After the solo was also sort of my favorite modulation, because it seems to rise by not even a half step, which is a strange lift. Reminds me of the kinda stuff Jacob Collier does in his tracks that are barely noticeable but feel really good to the ear.

Other things that stuck out -
    - 'You Never Give Me Your Money' had a really cool chord modulation where the Dominant chords were hopping around in a diminished lick (2:18 - 2:28)
    - The End wasn't actually the end
    - They wrote a 26 second love song about the Queen that seems to have been cut before the last note 😅

Such a fun album that I'll be re-listening to and picking more out for sure, thanks again Syn! :rock-hand:

Reactions: idssdi
    oh God, I'm so glad to see so many people are giving this album and the beatles a shot, they literally changed my life in so many ways. I'm not a good english speaker, or a good musician, but will try to give my opinion on this because why the fuck not?

Best song is impossible to say, can I count the side B as a single song? because it's a master piece in its entirety. Also shows the genius of George Martin, who managed to put together a bunch of Paul's unfinished songs and keep it cohesive.

Best chord progression I would say something, such a simple song and such a beautiful one. That was the first song I ever learn in my guitar.

Vocally I think because and sun king are really good examples of how good this fuckers could harmonize together, even when they basically hated each other. And also I have to mention She's so heavy, that guitar following the vocals, and that sexy bass line, my God, it kills me every time.

Just my thoughts on it! It's so good to see everyone discussing good music, keep up the good work Syn! thank you!

• Love
    Reactions: Jamie London

Niharreddysyn

New Student
    Nov 7, 2020
    :syngates:Yo family! My record of the month for November is Abbey Road by The Beatles. This is my personal fav album by my fav band(tied w Bungle of course).

I’ve always gone back and forth between Magical Mystery Tour and Abbey but as I’ve gotten older, Abbey is just so solid and clever that it continues to increase its lead to me. The medley on the back half is nothing short of pure genius and the different soundscapes, vocally and beyond that the front half procures, take me to another dimension. A dimension where all perceived “rules” of music are either summarily dismissed, or used as China for the proverbial Bull in that proverbial China shop.

This is also the only album in existence where I don’t have a favorite song. I simply can not pick one. I do however, have a least favorite and that is Come Together; a smash hit classic covered by many other legends. Also, I fucking LOVE that song with all of my heart, but it is clearly and always has been, my least favorite song on the record. As it may speak to my shoddy coding as a human program, I believe it to speak to the level of brilliance that is the entire record.

Questions I’d love answered by my beautiful family!

-Fav song
    -Fav solo
    -Clever chord changes that stick out(always my life pursuit)
    -Insight into George Martin’s production genius and notable moments
    -Interesting arrangements vocally and orchestrally

Don’t confine yourself to these if they don’t inspire thoughts, these are just ideas that stick out to me. I’m also VERY curious to hear other ideas or discoveries in hopes that a new way to listen to this masterpiece will be revealed for myself and others.

Can’t fucking wait to hang out with you!!

All my love,

Syn
    Syn Sir nice to see you again hope you are good It is always a pleasure to hear your leads and songs I always love them...... I jam regularly to all A7x songs I always admire you As my role model sir I always wanted to see A7x concerts live how about planning a concert after this pandemic in India? What's your opinion? We have a good fan base to A7x in India hope you soon perform live lots of love from India ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

TreSavedge

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 25, 2019
    St Louis, MO
    People say it’s impossible to pick a fav Beatles song. I say it’s impossible to pick a 2nd. ‘Something’ has always been my fav Beatles song on this near perfect album. Side thought: humanity will judge the vaccine based on where it ranks on the list of the top “most welcome occurrences in human history.” The current top 4 of course being (and this is very scientific and unarguable 😂):

1: Release of Rust in Peace
    2: Release of Abby Road
    3: Release of ‘The Wire’ box set
    4: Mike Portnoy’s drum fill at the very end of ‘Save Me’ (y‘all know the one)

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    People say it’s impossible to pick a fav Beatles song. I say it’s impossible to pick a 2nd. ‘Something’ has always been my fav Beatles song on this near perfect album. Side thought: humanity will judge the vaccine based on where it ranks on the list of the top “most welcome occurrences in human history.” The current top 4 of course being (and this is very scientific and unarguable 😂):

1: Release of Rust in Peace
    2: Release of Abby Road
    3: Release of ‘The Wire’ box set
    4: Mike Portnoy’s drum fill at the very end of ‘Save Me’ (y‘all know the one)
    Actually it's

1: Paul McCartney was born
    2: John Lennon was born
    3: George Harrison was born
    4: Ringo starr was born

🤪

Reactions: TreSavedge

TreSavedge

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 25, 2019
    St Louis, MO
    Actually it's

1: Paul McCartney was born
    2: John Lennon was born
    3: George Harrison was born
    4: Ringo starr was born

🤪
    Lol ‘born’. Those beings were always here and always will be, even before and after us in this simulation. Sounds crazy but think about the math. If you are going up a river at 1.8 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix does it take to re-shingle your roof? Touchdown Clippers. #Woke

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    When I was a kid, and on through my late teens and early 20s, my exposure to the Beatles was almost entirely limited to the single-speaker stereo in my dad's work car or truck, always tuned to the oldies station in New York (WCBS? Funny how I can't remember for sure anymore). So I know a significant part of their catalog and know the songs and stuff, but I haven't really LISTENED to this album in particular, front to back, possibly ever. Songs here and there, but end to end? Nope.

So the first thing that really struck me is how HUGE it all sounds, even though it was probably done on an 8 track machine, and the drums are usually panned hard right, unlike the big stereo drum tracks of today that emulate the kit placement across the stereo spectrum. The second thing that hit me was Paul's bass. I know bass guitar was not especially common in pop music back then, and Paul was using it in ways it generally wasn't used (yet) and it's wonderful. People always bash on poor Ringo (and he probably deserves it for solo shit like "You're 16, you're beautiful and you're Mine" when he was in his 30s), but Ringo had a style all his own and he was the glue.

Something is otherworldly. From the leslie cabinet to the beautiful, haunting melodies, to... everything. Oh Darling and it's perfect 6/8 feel - and raspy, screaming Paul - how shocking that must have been to pop sensibilities back then? The opening lick in Octopus's Garden - I don't think I've ever fully heard it before, and I love it, and the tone is gorgeous. In fact, there are so many gorgeous and iconic and perfect guitar tones on this record. Listening to it on a real stereo is a treat I can't believe I've passed over for so long.

So much sonic and stylistic diversity all across the record, from one song to another. Is there really a "Beatles Sound" beyond just "The Beatles?" I mean, how do you really quantify it? They covered so much ground.

It's a shame these guys never caught on. They had talent, and could have BEEN something if only they'd stuck with it.

Raquel Sousa Calvoso

New Student
    Sep 25, 2020
    Brasil
    genial

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1606599083081.jpg
      FB_IMG_1606599083081.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 110

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Hey all,
    I’ve made a playlist keeping track of each AOTM! I figured it’d be cool to have em all in one place, and give any new students who join up later a chance to go back and listen to any that they may have missed :money-face:
    I’ll be updating it each month as the albums are announced! :rock-hand:

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Hey all,
    I’ve made a playlist keeping track of each AOTM! I figured it’d be cool to have em all in one place, and give any new students who join up later a chance to go back and listen to any that they may have missed :money-face:
    I’ll be updating it each month as the albums are announced! :rock-hand:

AWESOME! Thank you! 🖤