• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

🤑Advanced Students Please Read 🤑

SGSIGTeam

Free Bird Player
Jan 10, 2021
Most of you know we do a weekly "Beginner Chats" on the page. Well now we're looking for our intermediate/advanced students to come forward!

What we need is for you to talk about ANY ONE of the following:
1. How you learn your favorite songs
2. How you study theory
3. The importance of knowing theory
4. Your approach to songwriting
5. How you overcome your slumps
6. Your favorite practice method
7. How you increased your speed

Pick ONE of the topics that you feel the most drawn to and DM us a video clip no longer than a minute long on the IG Page.

Thanks, and rock on😎

- The SGSIG Team

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I feel like my playing live in the roam of 'I have no clue what my skill level actually is' but I'll take the intermediate/advanced one. I think I'm gonna go full nerd for this one and write a code that picks a random number form an array containing 1 2 3 4 6 7 or you know address the importance of theory because apparently that's my expertise 😅

Can I do 2 and 3 because they feel kinda interconnected 😅

• Love
Reactions: SGSIGTeam

SGSIGTeam

Free Bird Player
Jan 10, 2021
I feel like my playing live in the roam of 'I have no clue what my skill level actually is' but I'll take the intermediate/advanced one. I think I'm gonna go full nerd for this one and write a code that picks a random number form an array containing 1 2 3 4 6 7 or you know address the importance of theory because apparently that's my expertise 😅

Go for it, homeboy! 😎😎🤘🤘

Reactions: idssdi
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019

Why don't you do a video for each bullet point you can add something to? I only say this so it gives the page more to share so they don't run out of material

TheHawk2114

One Stringer
Mar 24, 2020
To increase my speed and coordination I have been using this book called Guitar Finger Gym by Joseph Alexander and Simon Pratt. Simply doing these exercises has changed my guitar playing incredibly. I don't mean to sound like some guy from a commercial but the book actually works.

JaketheBurden

Free Bird Player
Dec 11, 2020
Indiana
distrokid.com
I’m no expert songwriter or anything, but I’ve wrote a few songs with my band so I’ll try and shoot for 4. I always start by just jamming (with my band or I just throw on a drum track) and find the key i want to play in. I start with just basic chugging on the base note and slowly add in different tricks with major 3rds, octaves, diminished notes, tapping, etc... really to just find 1 riff i really enjoy. I take that riff and record it into my DAW (i use to just use my phone and that works fine too for writing) I play with the riff and just do my best to stick with that key and jam with it to form other riffs. After i get a good 3 or 4 riffs in i write lyrics to the beat of the riffs and find how i want it sang first as well by humming over the riff. Bass lines I usually just stick with the guitar and try to spice it up a little if i can. I take all the riffs and lyrics and put them together almost like a puzzle, and try to repeat where necessary and where everything sounds in place. Eventually with just playing around with the riffs and lyrics, putting them together, you’ll have a song in no time. It’s important to not overthink and sit on the riffs for too long because you’ll get tired of it and no song will come of it, so recording the riffs as soon as possible is best. I hope this helps someone and isn’t just nonsense! I’ll make sure to share my songs in another thread as well :)

• Love

SGSIGTeam

Free Bird Player
Jan 10, 2021
I’m no expert songwriter or anything, but I’ve wrote a few songs with my band so I’ll try and shoot for 4. I always start by just jamming (with my band or I just throw on a drum track) and find the key i want to play in. I start with just basic chugging on the base note and slowly add in different tricks with major 3rds, octaves, diminished notes, tapping, etc... really to just find 1 riff i really enjoy. I take that riff and record it into my DAW (i use to just use my phone and that works fine too for writing) I play with the riff and just do my best to stick with that key and jam with it to form other riffs. After i get a good 3 or 4 riffs in i write lyrics to the beat of the riffs and find how i want it sang first as well by humming over the riff. Bass lines I usually just stick with the guitar and try to spice it up a little if i can. I take all the riffs and lyrics and put them together almost like a puzzle, and try to repeat where necessary and where everything sounds in place. Eventually with just playing around with the riffs and lyrics, putting them together, you’ll have a song in no time. It’s important to not overthink and sit on the riffs for too long because you’ll get tired of it and no song will come of it, so recording the riffs as soon as possible is best. I hope this helps someone and isn’t just nonsense! I’ll make sure to share my songs in another thread as well :)
This is excellent!! Please DM us a video of you talking about this, no longer than a minute long, so we can add it to our episodes on Instagram🤘🤑🤘

Reactions: JaketheBurden