• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Advice on Tube Amp? (I'm looking to upgrade my old amp)

Josh Lachapelle

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hey everyone!

Hope your week is going well. So I wanted to finally get a Tube Amp, I've been using a crappy Peavey Bandit 112 for the past 10 years or so haha I'm just super torn what to go with. I play a lot of Metal like A7X style, but also a lot of lighter distorted stuff like Hard Rock/Punk (think My Chemical Romance for example). So I want something versatile in that sense.

I was considering the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL, but from the demos I've heard it seems pretty bright. I was also considering the Peavey 6505. I really want something I can get a good tone to record with. That's my main motivation to getting a new amp right now. I figured if I'm going to spend money, might as well get a tube amp and have something I COULD gig with in the future as well, but right now it's primarily just to be able to record good tones (I have a Shure SM57, SM7B, and a Neumann TLM 102).

As far as my tone goes, I like something that isn't too bright or too dark, something in between that has a punchy feel to it. I guess the closest tones to compare it to is Zacky's tone, or Frank from MCR, but also not quite either of their tones obviously. A tone that has the heaviness of metal, but the punchiness of punk/hard rock. BUT I also want to be able to do some lighter overdrive stuff as well for certain parts/songs haha.

Anyways, if anyone has recommendations I'm all ears and appreciate your time in advance! \m/

Josh

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Hey everyone!

Hope your week is going well. So I wanted to finally get a Tube Amp, I've been using a crappy Peavey Bandit 112 for the past 10 years or so haha I'm just super torn what to go with. I play a lot of Metal like A7X style, but also a lot of lighter distorted stuff like Hard Rock/Punk (think My Chemical Romance for example). So I want something versatile in that sense.

I was considering the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL, but from the demos I've heard it seems pretty bright. I was also considering the Peavey 6505. I really want something I can get a good tone to record with. That's my main motivation to getting a new amp right now. I figured if I'm going to spend money, might as well get a tube amp and have something I COULD gig with in the future as well, but right now it's primarily just to be able to record good tones (I have a Shure SM57, SM7B, and a Neumann TLM 102).

As far as my tone goes, I like something that isn't too bright or too dark, something in between that has a punchy feel to it. I guess the closest tones to compare it to is Zacky's tone, or Frank from MCR, but also not quite either of their tones obviously. A tone that has the heaviness of metal, but the punchiness of punk/hard rock. BUT I also want to be able to do some lighter overdrive stuff as well for certain parts/songs haha.

Anyways, if anyone has recommendations I'm all ears and appreciate your time in advance! \m/

Josh
What's your budget? Maybe one Ax-8 or Axe-fx Does what your looking for too

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I guess it's one of those things where, if it's out of my budget I can wait a little longer. But I was debating an Axe FX II. Seen a couple used for a fair price. Then again, I'm not super familiar with how they work either haha

I have detailed files. There are videos on my Cooking with Captain Ed channel that go into a bit of what working with an AxeFX is like. There are also a slew of newer tube amps with the kind of variability you're looking for. Those based on the 5150 architecture are outstanding, including the 6505 and Syn's own Hellwin (which are out of production and pretty nearly impossible to get now). But there are also a bunch of smaller lunchbox style amps fitting that niche, too. I just got a PRS MT15 that slays, and Peavy's Invective (Misha Mansoor signature) heads have a lot of built-in recording tools, like cab simulation and a direct-out for recording. Sure, Misha's the djentfather, but he likes a LOT of different modern and classic tones, too.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Josh Lachapelle

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I have detailed files. There are videos on my Cooking with Captain Ed channel that go into a bit of what working with an AxeFX is like. There are also a slew of newer tube amps with the kind of variability you're looking for. Those based on the 5150 architecture are outstanding, including the 6505 and Syn's own Hellwin (which are out of production and pretty nearly impossible to get now). But there are also a bunch of smaller lunchbox style amps fitting that niche, too. I just got a PRS MT15 that slays, and Peavy's Invective (Misha Mansoor signature) heads have a lot of built-in recording tools, like cab simulation and a direct-out for recording. Sure, Misha's the djentfather, but he likes a LOT of different modern and classic tones, too.
    Lots to consider, I'll have to check it out! Thanks for all that!

So in short, it seems like the 6505 and 5150 or any amps based off of those are great for that sort of versatility I'm looking for?

And do you think it's better to get an Axe FX over a Physical Amp?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Lots to consider, I'll have to check it out! Thanks for all that!

So in short, it seems like the 6505 and 5150 or any amps based off of those are great for that sort of versatility I'm looking for?

And do you think it's better to get an Axe FX over a Physical Amp?

I've been playing for ~35 years. There is no single piece of gear I've ever bought that has been as important and useful as my AxeFX.

But that's just me. My other passion is computers and tech, so it kind of goes hand in hand. It IS an amazingly versatile piece of kit, though.

Hiroshi Nakauye

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I'll second the axe fx. Its sounds great you can get it to do every thing from high gain to strange ambient. The ability to shape your tone is insane. I really like the freidman amp models they have. The axe fx 2 and up also works as an interface via usb for easier recording. One thing to keep in mind is that the axe fx will not power a guitar cab without a power amp. Or you can use a powered speaker.

Ethan Keeling

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Aylesbury, England
    I got the PRS Tremonti a few months back and it's killer!

Reactions: Ed Seith

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Worth Tx
    I've been running a Marshall DSL100HR into a 4x12 Marshall cab and have loved it. The DSL series is pretty decent for more affordable tube amps. The DSL40 combo is great too. Great cleans on both and the ultra gain channel is great with an OD in front and an EQ in the chain.

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Synner Endless Summer Collection