• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Afterlife and Mia

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
MIA is definitely more difficult. I've been a pretty avid fan of the band since 2003 and learned all of Syn's hardest solos and MIA is the only one I've never been able to consistently nail. MIA is difficult because it requires A LOT of pick hand agility, like he's always changing directions with the economy picking, skipping strings to play articulate alternate picked licks like in the C7 lick he plays starting in I believe the 5th bar of the solo. There are a lot of guitar acrobatics in that one.

Afterlife isn't particularly difficult except for the legato lick at the end of the first motif, which isn't insanely difficult to make it sound convincing. I will say that when you listen to the lick by itself in an isolated track it is DAMN smooth. It's pretty crazy and took me a while to tab out accurately.The rest of the solo is honestly pretty easy, it's just fast.

If you want an accurate version of MIA, I edited the solo in this powertab and I'm nearly positive that this is 100% accurate. It went though several edits after years of ear training, but I think it's good now.

I also recently went back and tabbed out "The wicked end" solo and I think I got this one perfect as well.

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Galicia
twitter.com
MIA is definitely more difficult. I've been a pretty avid fan of the band since 2003 and learned all of Syn's hardest solos and MIA is the only one I've never been able to consistently nail. MIA is difficult because it requires A LOT of pick hand agility, like he's always changing directions with the economy picking, skipping strings to play articulate alternate picked licks like in the C7 lick he plays starting in I believe the 5th bar of the solo. There are a lot of guitar acrobatics in that one.

Afterlife isn't particularly difficult except for the legato lick at the end of the first motif, which isn't insanely difficult to make it sound convincing. I will say that when you listen to the lick by itself in an isolated track it is DAMN smooth. It's pretty crazy and took me a while to tab out accurately.The rest of the solo is honestly pretty easy, it's just fast.

If you want an accurate version of MIA, I edited the solo in this powertab and I'm nearly positive that this is 100% accurate. It went though several edits after years of ear training, but I think it's good now.

I also recently went back and tabbed out "The wicked end" solo and I think I got this one perfect as well.

i've saw your MIA tab, and I think it's pretty spot on! There are some parts that I play in a different neck position.
Thanks for sharing! Great job!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
i've saw your MIA tab, and I think it's pretty spot on! There are some parts that I play in a different neck position.
Thanks for sharing! Great job!

Thanks, yeah I just downloaded the best sounding tab and changed the solo. The the only thing I remember tabbing on that was the 2 solos in the middle. I did not do the ending clean solo.

As far as the part I did do though, I'm pretty positive it is 100% accurate. I compared it to that video of Syn playing it above and it looks like he's playing it the same.

Here's the other part of all of this, it really doesn't matter how any of us play it as long as it sounds good! I think it's a great idea to learn stuff by ear just for the ear training, and it's also good to learn things note-for-note and in the correct positions to get an understanding of what the artist was thinking when he/she wrote it. But ultimately, it doesnt matter as long as we sound good when we do play it!

Moonrunner

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Galicia
twitter.com
Thanks, yeah I just downloaded the best sounding tab and changed the solo. The the only thing I remember tabbing on that was the 2 solos in the middle. I did not do the ending clean solo.

As far as the part I did do though, I'm pretty positive it is 100% accurate. I compared it to that video of Syn playing it above and it looks like he's playing it the same.

Here's the other part of all of this, it really doesn't matter how any of us play it as long as it sounds good! I think it's a great idea to learn stuff by ear just for the ear training, and it's also good to learn things note-for-note and in the correct positions to get an understanding of what the artist was thinking when he/she wrote it. But ultimately, it doesnt matter as long as we sound good when we do play it!
I completely agree!