• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Alternate Picking Exercises 3 – Lesson 75

Kevin Dumont

Music Theory Bragger
Dec 15, 2019
France
Some patterns are more difficult than others, Especially when little finger have to be played before the third one!

I improve a little bit this exercise (Yes I'm crazy) by jump one cord each time
E string then D string then A string then G string then D string then B string then G string then E string.
Jump 3 cord is also possible!

One question: what step of tempo increase do you suggest? 5bpm by 5bpm. For some speed I'm stuck and couldn't go at higher speed. I don't know what to do.

Reactions: Kohav Buskila

Kevin Dumont

Music Theory Bragger
Dec 15, 2019
France
What do you suggest to increase your speed? I'm actually in 4 beats per bar and 4 clip per beats So i have 12 clip per bar.
In this configuration, I'm stuck at 100 bpm and only with the configuration 1234.... For the other combination I'm stuck around 80 bpm. I don't know how to increase my speed...

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
What do you suggest to increase your speed? I'm actually in 4 beats per bar and 4 clip per beats So i have 12 clip per bar.
In this configuration, I'm stuck at 100 bpm and only with the configuration 1234.... For the other combination I'm stuck around 80 bpm. I don't know how to increase my speed...
Could show what you do? It can be in the way you hold the pick or lifting up your finger to much or anything like that

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Reactions: Kevin Dumont

Kohav Buskila

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Some patterns are more difficult than others, Especially when little finger have to be played before the third one!

I improve a little bit this exercise (Yes I'm crazy) by jump one cord each time
    E string then D string then A string then G string then D string then B string then G string then E string.
    Jump 3 cord is also possible!

One question: what step of tempo increase do you suggest? 5bpm by 5bpm. For some speed I'm stuck and couldn't go at higher speed. I don't know what to do.

If u get stuck you have 2 options (from what worked for me)
    Either stay at a speed you are just barely comfortable and can play till you are fully comfortable and then speed up

Or (the controversial one) just kick up the speed to somewhere retardedly fast where u can only play a few notes before you fail
    Do that for awhile and suddenly u can play more than just a few

Ive uses both methods and they both have their place
    The first when u wanna perfect your technique and the 2nd when you want to break a barrier of speed

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alexander

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    AZ
    I recall playing these patterns when I was a kid, back when I was trying to make sense of things and had no grasp of scales yet. Luckily, I still have most of it engrained, so saves me a bit of time... Big takeaway from this lesson was counting in three's. It's pretty neat! Hides the accents you tend to make when descending strings.

Now, my counting has to be conscious for me to recognize that I'm accenting it correctly. I'm playing the note subconsciously so that it doesn't interfere with my counting (which is quite eerie). Does at some reasonable point, the accenting become obvious subconsciously?