• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Alternate Picking Exercises 4 – Lesson 76

johnbre20

New Student
Dec 14, 2019
I'm working on getting my speed up but having a difficult time. I'm just going really slow but I get stuck trying to alternate pick up to speed. I also see that if you start on a down stroke during the run you end up on a down stroke on the 10th fret. I want to master this technique but speed has always been a problem with my pick hand keeping up with my left.

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
It sounds like you may just be trying to play the exercise at a speed you are not comfortable with yet.

You want to bring your speed up gradually, start slow with a metronome and bring the speed up a couple of BPM only when you can consistently nail the exercise at the current speed. Bump up again when you can nail the new speed consistently, repeat.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm working on getting my speed up but having a difficult time. I'm just going really slow but I get stuck trying to alternate pick up to speed. I also see that if you start on a down stroke during the run you end up on a down stroke on the 10th fret. I want to master this technique but speed has always been a problem with my pick hand keeping up with my left.
It's really important to realize that you shouldn't run before you can walk. As Adin mentions this can be the source of the problem.

When you start with a downstroke you indeed end with a downstroke on the 10th fret. For the transition to the next string you need to either do inside or outside picking so you could have a look at those too.

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
as everyone said before, don't worry it will come with time, if you're only advancing 1bpm per day, after a month it will become 30bpm and over a year 360bpm so you will be really fast! so take it slow and take your time to get it perfect, it's not only speed, it's also about getting a really great tone in your playing.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    What I found helpful is to pay attention to the slant of your pick. If you start with a downstroke, have your pick angled upward (pointy end down), or opposite if you start with an upstroke. That way your pick is always above the strings when you need to switch. I like starting this with an upstroke though, since I'm more comfortable with my pick slanted the other way.