• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Always makes me laugh when people take shots at line 6

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Guys dont believe them. They have NO IDEA what they are talking about. I’ve own two different line 6 amps, the spider 2 and 5.. and both were HUGE. Infact, they progression they made from 2 to 5 is unbelievable. I know Jak said she plays through one too. I have a peavey too, which also sounds great, but its definitely not made for the same things at line 6. The spider v to me helps me play guitar through headphones better, without much static going into the recordings I make. There is some.. but NO WHERE near the static from the peavey I have when I recorded. Infact, its like 200 times better sounding. Those amps were MADE for digital recording. And they do a damn good job of it. The only reason I decided to post this was cause this one guy who I was going to jam with and try to maybe form a band with was all over facebook with the memes talking about how you cant get good tones with line 6.. SO WRONG. The clean tones are where its at. Kinda glad I told this guy I didn’t wanna jam with him.. he seems like another immature 24 year old. No offense to any 24 year olds here now.
Would love to hear opinions on this amp, as well as other amps where you find their strengths and weaknesses. I’m sure there are tons of amps that are better for jamming on the spot or recording, etc. Do you think they always use the same amps as bands?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I had a POD HD500 that I loved, except the cabinet emulation sucked, so it sounded amazing when I pumped it through my power amp and 4×12, but recording direct, it sounded terrible. Worse, they didn’t allow you to use other IRs from 3rd party vendors, so you were stuck with their crappy cab emulation. They still use their crappy cabs with the Helix, but they allow importing, so that problem is now entirely solved. I almost chose the Helix over the Fractal.
    I also just bought a Line6 Relay G90 rackmount wireless unit. Pretty much the best out there. Solid unit.
    People who trash Line6 are snobs with no idea what they’re talking about.

J

Jak Angelescu

Dude if you look on my Instagram, there are actual people who asked me on a video and said, “Is that Axe FX?” Another person asked me once if I was playing through a Hellwin amp. They literally almost shit the bed when I tell them what I’m playing through. My dad bought an amp from a homeless guy once. It was a solid state Washburn BD-75R amp with Bad Dog (or Mad Dog) speakers in it. Was THE best sounding amp I’ve ever played through. Period. Washburn has since turned into Randall but they don’t sound the same to me. Never really cared for Tube amps and honestly never could stand digital. But my Line 6 sounds pretty damn close. When my amp blew out and I needed a new one, the salesman at Guitar Center really tried working with me. He brought me Bogner, Orange, Fender, Marshall, and loads of other ones and I walked out completely dissatisfied. It wasn’t until a year later I walked in to a Guitar Center and fell in love with the Demon 6 Schecter on the wall. They just so happened to have a Line 6 on sale that was sitting so conveniently right below the guitar. I used that to try out the guitar and immediately said, “THIS is what I’ve been looking for.” I walked out with both amp and guitar!!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah the rhythm tones aren’t the best, but thats why you distort the clean tones. They say 200 presets, but honestly, its endless with the different distortion pedals out there. People just dont understand. Like I said, the buddy I was talking about is just an immature punk who thinks he knows music. He posted a second meme of someone laughing when I told him he didn’t know what he was talking about. lol That pretty much proves the point. He also PLAYS BASS. He doesn’t even play guitar, making fun of line 6.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I also don’t know who are these guys making fun of Line 6 amps. My friend has a Spider V. I found it terrific. Of course, way way better than my outdated Vox Pathfinder 10. We did some demo recordings with that. I will second Calvin. IT IS actually that good to be used for studio and digital recording.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    lolll, like I love the peavey for chuggy rhythm guitar, but it wasn’t so good for lead. Didn’t have too many thicker tones, I had to use pedals to gain lead. Now, I dont have to do that with the spider V. I mean, if you are recording through a mic, maybe I wouldn’t use the spider V, but since I’m directly into my PC, I feel The spider works best for me. I dont think any other amp company is anywhere near as close to line 6 in that area. But like I said, other amps have other strengths. Other then the peavey, I haven’t really played through another amp. Would love to hear the opinions on others.

Tory Capman

One Stringer
    Nov 11, 2019
    I’ve had the Spider IV half stack for like 8 years now and a few months ago bought the Spide V240. I love both of them! Like you guys said, you just gotta tweak the settings and find the right sound!
    So versatile and you get so much BANG for your buck! Think about how many pedals you’d have to buy to get all those tones!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I honestly never really been a fan of line 6 amps. I played on one once and it seemed kinda like a space station. I couldn’t really settle on something I like so just settled with he one that sounded the best out of those.
    ‘He doesn’t even play guitar, he plays bass’ maybe he played his bass through a line 6 amps and didn’t like it. Taste tenses to differ for everyone.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Glenn Fricker has a huge grudge against line 6 and I feel that from a producers point of view it may be a valid point but for a lot of people they are using it at home and don’t have the budget to own amps such as a revv generator or Mesa boogie. If he was to go back to that situation he would probably say they are decent for what you pay. I aim to get a mesa some day but until such time line 6 more than get the job done.

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    My main amp right now is a Line 6 Spider IV 75, and for me it’s absolutely perfect. Admittedly I was a bit skeptical beforehand as I had been looking up stuff online (And to be fair, I don’t really know anything about amps), but once I actually got round to playing it, I knew that it was the amp for me.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Line 6’s from what I see dont even have a bass channel.. maybe some do. THe ones I had didn’t. They aren’t made for basses. Maybe they have bass amps, couldn’t tell you. But anyone who thought they could play a bass into an actual guitar amp without bass settings.. what really are you looking for? I cant personally see that working.. maybe it does. I dont play bass enough. But to comment on a strictly GUITAR amp over a bass amp seems silly to me. Obviously it wont sound as good as a bass amp would. Could be wrong tho, and like I said, the dude was a 24 immature punk who just posts “metal memes” all day. I highly doubt he really knows what hes talking about.