• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Any Djent/Prog metal fans here?

Dylan Tower

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I recently have been really into bands like periphery, animals as leaders, wage war, etc. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who liked that kinda thing. I would love to pick your brain about songwriting for that genre since it seems a little more intensive than say thrash

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I’ve been a big fan of Periphery for a number of years, but the style of play is so far removed from what I spent decades doing that trying to learn a lot of it is an exercise in frustration. Add to that the constantly shifting tunings and the extended ranges, and it’s just not worth it for me. As I listen, elements of the style are subconsciously infused in my writing, but that’s about where it stops for me, and I’m good with that.
    The basic elements of songwriting structure don’t change – there’s still verse, chorus, bridge, etc. Guys like Misha tend to not write from theory (he claims he doesn’t know any), and with alternate tunings abound, that makes it harder to transcribe and figure stuff out. They do a lot of very busy licks, and odd-time rhythms.
    It’s great stuff, but very advanced in non-traditional ways. It’s a different kind of progressive, for sure.

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    One of my favorite bands of all time is Meshuggah and my two fav records of theirs are “Chaosphere” and “Destroy, Erase, Improve”. The main songwriter and lead guitarist Fredrik Thordendal is as brilliant as it gets. He’s one of my top 6 fav guitarists and I feel bad that I hardly ever mention him amongst my other heros. The music is as heavy and complex as it gets and his solos sound like metal Allan Holdsworth over djent magic. It’s fucking insane!!

Reactions: Bungle grind
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Djent, metalcore, and prog metal are my three favorite subgenres. As far as djent goes, you can’t beat Animals as Leaders, Periphery, Meshuggah, and Wage War. I had a point in time about a year and a half ago where I started listening to some smaller name djent bands and found some really good stuff. VOLA is a Danish band, they’re a mix of Djent and prog metal, and their guitarist, Asger Mygind, hands down has the best tone I’ve ever heard on a 7 string guitar. It’s so punchy yet so distinct. A Sense of Gravity has an amazing vocalist. Make Them Suffer is really great for djent more on the metalcore side, and of course I love Oceans Ate Alaska.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I am not really that much of a metal guy. I do really like proggy stuff like Dream Theater, Yes and Rush also some Rainbow stuff is very progressive. If you are into proggy stuff I would also recommend checking out the song The odyssey by Symphony X it is a 23 minute long masterpiece! I have never really been that much djent(I don’t even know when something djents)

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I listened to the song and even though I’m really impressed with his playing as a listener im not really a fan 😅 I listened to this version btw https://youtu.be/OH4shnEiIkM
    Just to give a small sample of stuff i’ve been really enjoying lately. I still buy cds(yes I’m old school and I bought 4 new ones today namely:
    The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
    Prince – 1999
    B.B. King – Live At The Apollo
    Otis Redding – the Dock of The Bay(Definitive Collection)
    I know none of it is really prog but weirdly enough I felt like putting it out there(which means I’m a bit drunk right now)

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    One word: Opeth
    Syn, if you haven’t ever listened to them, I’m telling you man, Mikael Åkerfeldt is going to become your new hero. His songwriting is probably the best in modern metal. The way Opeth are able to blend crushing, dark riffs and growling vocals, with the acoustic prog rock passages of the 70’s and Scandinavian folk melodies is beyond this world. I suggest listening to Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries in full to anyone who is looking for adventurous prog metal that will take you to a journey.
    Here’s my favorite Opeth song of all time, Ghost of Perdition. I mean, how can you not like this?

Dylan Tower

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I love especially Mark Holcomb’ s style. If you’ve ever cared to differentiate between the members styles, misha has more of the djentier polyrhytmic stuff while Mark writes in broad embellished chords, like the main riff of scarlet. I’m just astounded that people can write such original ideas and just make these really complex things out of thin air. And to Syn’s point meshuggah is ridiculous and make my brain spin trying to figure out how to write that type of thing

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Graeme Meekison

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Animals as Leaders are amazing. Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes will be two of the most influential players in the world of Prog this generation.
    Fans of them should 100% check out guys like Plini, Aaron Marshall from Intervals, Nick Johnston, and David Maxim Micic! It’s a little tamer than AAL or Meshuggah or Periphery, but their melodies and writing are super super tight and their playing is impeccable. Instrumental prog rock musicians like them are carrying the torch of virtuosity. Cannot recommend all their stuff enough.