• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Any Tips?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
First tip is work on either economy picking or sweeping first. They are kind of similar in a way but in my experience economy picking is a whole lot easier to get a hang of then doing 5 string sweeps and a welcome bonus is if you can economy pick you probably can do 2 and 3 string sweeps too.

Secondly, if you want any real tailor made tips you will have to show how you do it now otherwise you will jsut get general tips and those don't work for everybody.

• Love
Reactions: Nocturne

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Always find your max bpm you can play something clean first. Then practice the shit out of that speed until you are totally relaxed while you play, meaning you can breathe regularly while playing, your forearm, shoulder, elbow, back, neck, and jaw muscles are ALL relaxed and not too tense, and you should be able to play it without looking at your hands, assuming there are no position shifts (Left or right on the fretboard).

Then, like Lindsey said, bump up the metronome by 1-2bpm, and practice as many repetitions as you can again. If you find 2bpm is now too easy, just keep bumping it up slowly until you start having problems. Then, once you start making mistakes again, you must STOP,..... and take time to understand what exactly it is that is failing. Is it your fretting hand? Your pinky on a certain note? Is you Picking hand early or late for a certain note? Are your upstrokes not as accurate as your downstrokes? etc. Once you find out what your mistake is, focus your attention exactly on what you can do to fix that one mechanic. If your picking hand is late on 2 specific notes for example, I would go back using my picking hand ONLY (Fretting hand simply mutes the strings) and go over and over those notes you are prone to mess up. By focusing on only one hand, you will improve faster in that specific area. Then go back to playing it with both hands, and see how it feels. Repeat the process. Over. And over. And over again. It's not glorious but anyone can do it!

Also, I would love to see you playing your sequence, it will give us a chance to critique your playing and help you out more.

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: Nocturne