• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Any tips?

LucasDuran1721

Garage band Groupie
  • Feb 20, 2021
    Argentina
    www.instagram.com
    As I'm sure you know by now, this technique takes quite a while and you may not see the results you want even within a few months time. This is one of those things where you can't really take shortcuts, you just gotta put in your time. As much as it may suck, you really need to practice it slowly with a metronome, or you'll end up with half baked sweeps that you can only distinguish the first and last notes with noise in between (I'm guilty of this). I would say to master the 3 string major and minor shapes on only the G, B, and E strings first. Maybe even the diminished shape if you're feeling daring. Then you can move on to the more advanced 5 string sweeps and the different positions you can do those in. Putting in the time and working slowly to really get it down is the best advice, and most obvious, that you'll probably get. There's really no hack for it.
    Thanks a lot buddy, I am following the lessons of syn and papa gates to the letter and it is giving results, step by step.
    Cheers 🤘🏽🔥

Reactions: [DELETED]
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Definitely a process. (A loooong process). Syn has switched to a .73mm pick - BUT - back in the day when he mastered sweeping, he used a rock - 2.0 mm. Ironically I played a .73mm for 30 years until Syn talked me into switching to a 2.0mm - which is when I started sweeping like a champ. I have since backed down to something more manageable - around a 1.mm (give or take).
    The point is a very thick pick is easier to sweep with. It does the heavy lifting for you. Shitty to strum with, but great for the sweep.
    As Alex said - use a metronome. And go slow. WAY slower than you want to. Stupid slow. Then move it up a couple of BPM and continue. This process takes days and weeks. Not hours. Also keep working on your chops in general. You don't want sweeping to overtake your playing. You need to have equal faculty in regards to alt & economy picking. Nothing sadder than someone who sweeps like monster but can't do anything else. It's like a weight lifer that only works on his right side. Got a huge right arm and a huge right leg, but his left side is withered. He looks silly and can only run in circles. Don't be that guy.
    Cheers!
    pg

LucasDuran1721

Garage band Groupie
  • Feb 20, 2021
    Argentina
    www.instagram.com
    Definitely a process. (A loooong process). Syn has switched to a .73mm pick - BUT - back in the day when he mastered sweeping, he used a rock - 2.0 mm. Ironically I played a .73mm for 30 years until Syn talked me into switching to a 2.0mm - which is when I started sweeping like a champ. I have since backed down to something more manageable - around a 1.mm (give or take).
    The point is a very thick pick is easier to sweep with. It does the heavy lifting for you. Shitty to strum with, but great for the sweep.
    As Alex said - use a metronome. And go slow. WAY slower than you want to. Stupid slow. Then move it up a couple of BPM and continue. This process takes days and weeks. Not hours. Also keep working on your chops in general. You don't want sweeping to overtake your playing. You need to have equal faculty in regards to alt & economy picking. Nothing sadder than someone who sweeps like monster but can't do anything else. It's like a weight lifer that only works on his right side. Got a huge right arm and a huge right leg, but his left side is withered. He looks silly and can only run in circles. Don't be that guy.
    Cheers!
    pg
    Thank you very much for your tips Mr.Haner, I am practicing with 2.0mm picks, preferably a Jazz Pick III

• Love
    Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.