• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Any way to make my baby sing better?

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Hi folks!
I was just wondering if there was any way to make my guitar sound better, without having to do with amps. Like messing with the pickup height and what not?
Thanks for the help.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul...dunno if this helps.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Honestly, I don't really know. Usually when I don't sound good it has either something to do with the settings on my amp/pedals(treble too high etc.) or me just not playing very well.

Pickup closer to the string increases the output of the pickup. It may also be just be that your guitar needs a change of strings.

Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Honestly, I don't really know. Usually when I don't sound good it has either something to do with the settings on my amp/pedals(treble too high etc.) or me just not playing very well.

Pickup closer to the string increases the output of the pickup. It may also be just be that your guitar needs a change of strings.
So lowering the pickup would make distorsion sound cleaner I guess? Less muddy?

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
I’d play around with your amp settings, and try playing with the knobs on your guitar.

When i play with heavy distortion, and i want to back off and give my guitar a cleaner sound, i just roll off the volume of my guitar knob. Think of it as using your knob as a boost, keep it around 4-5 or 5-6 for verses, choruses, parts that may require a cleaner sound and when you come to a solo, turn it up to 8-10. You can see me do this with my guitars in my videos (and ill probably do a lesson on this in the future).

Also, if you’re not comfortable rolling your volume up or down, set maybe your bridge pickup to the full on volume at 10 and your neck pickup at 5, that way you can go from clean to dirty with a flip of your selector switch!

I will say though, the pickups in the epiphone les paul customs are notorious for sounding muddy, the one i have is the same way! You just got to experiment with what works for you man

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
I’d play around with your amp settings, and try playing with the knobs on your guitar.

When i play with heavy distortion, and i want to back off and give my guitar a cleaner sound, i just roll off the volume of my guitar knob. Think of it as using your knob as a boost, keep it around 4-5 or 5-6 for verses, choruses, parts that may require a cleaner sound and when you come to a solo, turn it up to 8-10. You can see me do this with my guitars in my videos (and ill probably do a lesson on this in the future).

Also, if you’re not comfortable rolling your volume up or down, set maybe your bridge pickup to the full on volume at 10 and your neck pickup at 5, that way you can go from clean to dirty with a flip of your selector switch!

I will say though, the pickups in the epiphone les paul customs are notorious for sounding muddy, the one i have is the same way! You just got to experiment with what works for you man
Thanks man, I will experiment today!

Synner Endless Summer Collection