• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Anyone has experience with Ibanez Axion?

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
Dec 7, 2021
Indonesia
www.instagram.com
Hello guys, I went to used guitar shop afterschool today. I chose to buy an old but feels like new Schechter Omen 6. My dad had me to try this Ibanez Axion RGA61L. It was in good condition and has good sound plus good price, but it has lower sustain and harder to bend than the Scechter Omen (need some set up maybe?). It also had different feels of neck then Schecter type neck.

Ibanez Axion is rare thing in our country though it was made here. Mom, dad, and I have seen some review, but no local review, and they said it was a good guitar. Anyone has some opinion for this guitar? Is it worthed to buy? Because it is still pricey on used. My mom hasn't trust me enough to use fancy expensive guitars.😆

Here's one of the review that I watched, and me trying to play with this fancy guitar.

Thank you.

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Ibanez generally makes high-quality instruments with a focus on technical or speed players. The Axion label amps that up. For their price point, they are very high quality instruments. The differences you feel could be setup or possibly string gauge - both will have a 25.5 scale length, which is mostly what affects bending (outside of string gauge), so there would be very little (if any) difference otherwise.

If you like the guitar and can afford it, it's probably going to be worth it.

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Ibanez generally makes high-quality instruments with a focus on technical or speed players. The Axion label amps that up. For their price point, they are very high quality instruments. The differences you feel could be setup or possibly string gauge - both will have a 25.5 scale length, which is mostly what affects bending (outside of string gauge), so there would be very little (if any) difference otherwise.

If you like the guitar and can afford it, it's probably going to be worth it.
    Thank you so much for the review.
    Does it has different type of neck than Schechter? I don't know how to describe it, but it feels different.
    Thanks, I'll tell my parents about this.

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Thank you so much for the review.
    Does it has different type of neck than Schechter? I don't know how to describe it, but it feels different.
    Thanks, I'll tell my parents about this.

The shape of the neck is different. The Ibanez is thinner by 1mm and has a slightly flatter radius on the fretboard (15.1" vs 14" on the Schecter). The Ibanez neck is also 1mm wider at the nut.

These differences largely come down to personal preference - one is not BETTER than the other because of these things, they're just DIFFERENT and each may fit a set of hands better depending on the hands.

• Love
    Reactions: Javier Wienarjati
    Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Update : I have a new guitar now. 2 guitars actually. 🙌🙌🙌
    This Ibanez Axion is mine now plus the Schecter Omen from the day before.😆
    Thank you Ed and William for the reviews.
    IMG_20220914_195136.jpg

IMG_20220914_195714.jpg

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    Update : I have a new guitar now. 2 guitars actually. 🙌🙌🙌
    This Ibanez Axion is mine now plus the Schecter Omen from the day before.😆
    Thank you Ed and William for the reviews. View attachment 3067
    View attachment 3069
    Oh wow they are both awesome guitars. You are amazing by the way. I love all the videos you post. I can only imagine what you'll be doing 10 years from now.

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Oh wow they are both awesome guitars. You are amazing by the way. I love all the videos you post. I can only imagine what you'll be doing 10 years from now.
    Thank you so much for you kind words. Cant wait to see your videos with your beautiful custom S. 😻

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Aww, I am hoping the lesson videos are back soon so I can learn. I've also managed to get my hands on a Zacky Vengeance Fractured Mirror!
    That is so coollll.. I hope you can have it.
    Yeah, I am waiting for the lessons too. Little bit lost without papa gates lessons video to the rescue.

Upvote 0

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    That is so coollll.. I hope you can have it.
    Yeah, I am waiting for the lessons too. Little bit lost without papa gates lessons video to the rescue.
    I know right?!! I am missing PG so much. I hadn't been doing much guitar practice as I had exams to prepare for but they are done now so I am ready to learn guitar!
    Hopefully they are fixed soon 🤞🏻

Upvote 0

scoennen

New Student
    Oct 2, 2023
    I have both those guitars ( along with 30 other Schecter and Ibanez guitars...lol) and the Ibanez is a much better option for d-tuning than the omen any day of the week.. I get on demand harmonics on any fret with tap or pick on the axion unlike the omen which I really have to put some work in to getting the same effect on.. The bare knuckle pickups are amazing and would make a squier a shredder! Lol....Like the man him self (my musical hero and name sake of this school), I use EB rock and roll (10 - 56) strings on my axion and it sounds amazing... I use the same strings on my hellrasier but I use that purely for rhythm.. The axion is made for drop tune as it's a little longer scale than any Schecter model or RG i own as of yet and if you see how the low 2 strings are set back from the other 4 like my solar and iron label baritone's are when they pass through the body this was made for lower tunes.. Keep in mind if you don't drop a full note or 2 these guitars are in no way solo friendly but if you drop 2 full steps to C( or even Cb if it still bothers you) you can bend every single note on songs such as "so far away" and "nobody" (though Syn plays this on a 7).. I once made my fingers bleed with that guitar tuned standard and won't make that mistake again.... Lol... I don't use over a 9 gu on my Schecters with a FR (or without a FR come to think about 💭) as if you set your FR springs right you can D-tune and hold it forever as if it was an evertune bridge.. So long story short... Tension Tension Tension is the key to bring able to solo with any gauge string.. And if you have a chance to buy that Axion RG still I highly recommend it as I promise you will not regret it..😎😎😎 Comes with lumalay markers and a glow in the dark label on the head stock... Its my GO TO FOR ALL D-TUNEING.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection