• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Anyone know anything about a Mains or 8 - 16 Ohm switch on my vintage Orange OR-80?

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I have an early 70's Orange OR-80 combo amp that sounds like pure rock fury. The only problem is that I can't use it much because of volume issues. Here's my question, it's got a 8-16 Ohm switch on the back that I keep on 8 and a switch that says 'Mains" with settings for 100 110 200 220 that I keep on 100.

I've had issues with this amp in the past and it works now so I never touch the switches. Does anyone know what they do, or how it would affect the amp if I changed the settings?

Thanks

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
USA power voltage is 120v, so I’d keep it on 110 (if you’re in America) because that’s closest and power fluctuates. The 200 and 220 are for European countries.

The ohm setting depends on the cab you’re running it through and how the speakers are wired
Thanks for the response, its a 2x12 combo, not sure how the speakers are wired though or the wattage of the speakers.

Reactions: [DELETED]
Synner Endless Summer Collection