• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

AOTM : Fortitude by Gojira

Saphyra

New Student
Dec 16, 2021
France
Alright I am going to talk about one of my AOTM : Fortitude by Gojira

This album is only 1 year and two months and I think it would be one of their most unforgettable album that their have ever did
Personally this album is my second favourite (the first is L' enfant sauvage) and I know why I love this album 😄

They kept, of course, their death metal genre but they took also a prog metal way, that gives a beautiful mix between the brutal and the melodic sound that is totally different from what they did before

If I have to pick some songs to introduce someone to Fortitude album or even to Gojira it would be :

Born for one thing : the introduction is a rise of power (not power metal way 😂) made by an amazing drums skills of Mario Duplantier and then when the voice and the guitars begin to play, the blast starts like it is born of a new music

Amazonia : They got inspired by the traditional music of amazonian tribes. This song has really a heavy sound by the guitars like they want to riot, to scream their hopeless
And it's because the song talks about the destroying of Amazonia forest and the disapearing of amazonian culture.
I love how metal and traditonal culture or instruments are mixed for making a song that we feel anger and pain the music has when Amazonia is destroyed

Another world : A great song with a great animated clip with an great end that remains a little bit Planet of the Ape but unlike the movie there are not apes 😂
But anyways, the song has incredible riffs and the end is perfect with the end of the clip : a tragic melodic end that is diminished slowly
We all prefered to be in another world

Fortitude + The Chant : My favourite song of the album and yes Fortitude and The Chant are actually one and same song. The first part has percussions instruments not really common in general with the diminished choirs like people can't speak and sing loud and when the second part starts, the voices and the music is free
And in addition, the voice of Joe Duplantier is more melodic and beautiful
And I think they did the second part like it has something to be spoke because the song talks about a child from Tibet who has to run away from his hometown after the chinese army came to invade Tibet and make disapear their culture
But at the end of the song, they say to not give up and like they said : Wake up to the sound of doom. Don't let your voice being quiet by the fear
Ah and I forget : the solo is one of my favorite from the album, mauve even from the whole of their career.

This is my first AOTM thread so maybe I was bad in reviewing an album but thank you to all who read it :)

Saphyra

New Student
Dec 16, 2021
France
I’ve only ever listened to Gojira here and there, and I’ve dug everything I’ve heard from them, but I don’t think I’ve ever given one of their albums a listen from front to back before. Excited to give this a spin!
They are absolutely talented and for having seen them last sunday at the Hellfest, it was one of the best concert I have ever seen 🤩

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    So yesterday I listened to it in full, a play list of the album so not sure if it had all the songs. Although it's not my favorite Gojira album, I did enjoy it and could recognize their sound. I like the groove/riffs and sometimes get a meditation/trance like vibe ( not sure if that's the right word ). I read some stuff about the band and they make songs about the world/environment, it's different and I didn't expect that. My favorite album is "The Way Of All Flesh".
    I tried to play a few of their songs/riffs through tabs before, for my feeling at the time I got better at guitar.
    First heard them when "Magma" came out through reviews on social media.

Overall I don't like being a critic but I'm trying to give some feedback

• Love
    Reactions: Saphyra

Saphyra

New Student
    Dec 16, 2021
    France
    So yesterday I listened to it in full, a play list of the album so not sure if it had all the songs. Although it's not my favorite Gojira album, I did enjoy it and could recognize their sound. I like the groove/riffs and sometimes get a meditation/trance like vibe ( not sure if that's the right word ). I read some stuff about the band and they make songs about the world/environment, it's different and I didn't expect that. My favorite album is "The Way Of All Flesh".
    I tried to play a few of their songs/riffs through tabs before, for my feeling at the time I got better at guitar.
    First heard them when "Magma" came out through reviews on social media.

Overall I don't like being a critic but I'm trying to give some feedback
    Not problem :) thanks for the feedback, it is cool to hear your opinion and even it is not your favourite album, I am glad that you liked though :)
    The Way of all flash is good too and my favourite album is "L' enfant sauvage" XD

• Love
    Reactions: William B.
    Synner Endless Summer Collection