• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Arpeggios in a Single Position – Lesson 50

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Below the video there is a "Recordings" button. Click on it and choose "Video" so you can watch it

Is that supposed to be in this post or am I looking at the wrong place?
    IMG_6092.PNG

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Awesome lesson. I suppose that I could play all G major chord family arpeggios over E minor too ,right? Since its the relative minor.
    Could you clarify what you mean? In principle Arpeggios are broken chords so not every chord from the G major family will work by definition😅 you can play G over Em7 but G. If there is a significant amount of notes of the chord you're playing over yes it will work if there are notes in there that clash too much you should probably stay away from them a little bit.

Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Could you clarify what you mean? In principle Arpeggios are broken chords so not every chord from the G major family will work by definition😅 you can play G over Em7 but G. If there is a significant amount of notes of the chord you're playing over yes it will work if there are notes in there that clash too much you should probably stay away from them a little bit.
    I mean. All the arpeggios learned in the single postion. Could all of them be applied to an E minor song

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I mean. All the arpeggios learned in the single postion. Could all of them be applied to an E minor song
    Aah in that sense. Yeah you could apply all these Arpeggios in an E minor song but you can't use all of them over an Em chord. Basically the application of these Arpeggios works the same as you would apply any Arpeggio over a chord. If you have an Em you can use G over it because G has the notes D, G and B in it. D can sound a bit out but like good out. All the others have one or two notes that sound really out over the Em so they will not really work.

That they are in the same position does not by definition mean you can use all of them over the same chord but you can do cool things with it when the chord changes.

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Aah in that sense. Yeah you could apply all these Arpeggios in an E minor song but you can't use all of them over an Em chord. Basically the application of these Arpeggios works the same as you would apply any Arpeggio over a chord. If you have an Em you can use G over it because G has the notes D, G and B in it. D can sound a bit out but like good out. All the others have one or two notes that sound really out over the Em so they will not really work.

That they are in the same position does not by definition mean you can use all of them over the same chord but you can do cool things with it when the chord changes.
    Gotcha! Thanks mate!

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    Hey all. Lesson 50 inspired me to do a 10 day workout program focussing on triads of the major scale (for now: G major). In the lesson, PG plays the arpeggiated triads of the chords within the key of G major staying in one position of the scale (a CAGED position, not 3NPS). The seven basic triads of the key are:

I: G
    ii: Am
    iii: Bm
    IV: C
    V: D
    vi: Em
    vii°: F#dim

The workout idea is as follows (30 minutes or so per day for this):
    Day 1 - All triads within first position, ascending backing track
    Day 2 - All triads within first position, descending backing track
    Day 3 - move to next position, repeat

The goal is a melodic exploration of the keyboard, not timing or speed... other exercises are for that. At least for now! After the ten days, the workout can continue in various directions: Start mixing between the positions, start including extensions like 7 chords, start exploring different keys... The overall goal lies in gaining a deeper melodic understanding of the keyboard. Also, to finally start using all features of the school more, I will try do do videos at least every other day or so, to track my progress. ^^ Here is Day 1.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Hey hope everyone is doing great!
    I read the syn's comments on the video which stated that the sound of each chord has to be memorized. Can anyone help me with some good ear training exercises to work on the same?
    Initial ear training is usually intervals, you can find some of those for free on the internet. What works with chords is usually just play them a lot and listen, at least that's how it works for me. After a while I have audio memory or whatever you want to call it 😅

Experience definitely helps with that