• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Axe FX3 or FM3?

Laur Trandafir

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    www.youtube.com
    Hey guys!
    I recently saw that Fractal released a new unit, the FM3. They say it uses the same technology as the Axe FX3. If anyone has bought it yet, is it as good? I was thinking of saving money to buy the Axe FX but when I saw that this unit is almost half the price, it got me thinking I should buy this instead. Any thoughts?

Laur Trandafir

• Nov 11, 2019
    www.youtube.com
    I'm in the same boat tbh. Since it's the same technology I would assume it does the job just as good but wouldn't know for sure.

@Ed Seith do you have any insight on this?
    I also assume it does the same, but the huge difference in price raises a flag. Does just the fact that it has less outputs and it's smaller make it that much less costly?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Yeah so this is exactly like Kemper did with the ''Kemper stage'' or like Line6 did within its Helix series: It's exactly the same technology only in a more restrained hardware. So yes you will get the exact same quality of sound as the AXE FX3. The biggest difference will probably be the workflow which will be very much restrained on the FM3. This means that you just won't be able to do things as easily as you would have on the AXE FX3 which to be fair, is a good compromise if you can get the same sound quality in such a smaller package. In my opinion, it can be a good investment!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Michael Kokoszka

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hi,

I own a FM3 since 3 months.

Differences:
    1. Processing power: Axe has a lot more processing power than the FM3. On the axe you can have dual amps and up to four cabs. FM3 is 2 cabs and 1 amp. The pitch block on the axe is much more advanced as wel as the drive block. This means you can use the axe with 2 guitars.
    2. Control : FM3 has three built in footswitches with several functions. On the axe you have to buy the FC-6 or 12 to be able to control the unit with your feet.
    3. Price : i paid 1300 EUR for my FM3. An axe costs 2500 over here. An FC6 cost 600 EUR.

My opinion :
    I mainly play at home and i thought the axe is overkill for me. The FM3 is gig ready. People always say that the FM3 has not enough power, but i never had to change a preset because i ran out of processing power. I think unless you make crazy presets with 10 blocks in it, there schouldn't be a problem.
    Before i didn' use 2 amps, so i dont miss it right now either.

For the rest the sounds are the same, as well as the blocks (= +200 amps, + 1100 cabs, ...). The only (not noticable) difference is the quality of the delay block, witch can overload the power when set to ultra.

The FM3 will get soon Hires IR's and the new drive block from the axe, as well as cygnus.

I think you will do fine with the FM3

Laur Trandafir

• Nov 11, 2019
    www.youtube.com
    Hi,

I own a FM3 since 3 months.

Differences:
    1. Processing power: Axe has a lot more processing power than the FM3. On the axe you can have dual amps and up to four cabs. FM3 is 2 cabs and 1 amp. The pitch block on the axe is much more advanced as wel as the drive block. This means you can use the axe with 2 guitars.
    2. Control : FM3 has three built in footswitches with several functions. On the axe you have to buy the FC-6 or 12 to be able to control the unit with your feet.
    3. Price : i paid 1300 EUR for my FM3. An axe costs 2500 over here. An FC6 cost 600 EUR.

My opinion :
    I mainly play at home and i thought the axe is overkill for me. The FM3 is gig ready. People always say that the FM3 has not enough power, but i never had to change a preset because i ran out of processing power. I think unless you make crazy presets with 10 blocks in it, there schouldn't be a problem.
    Before i didn' use 2 amps, so i dont miss it right now either.

For the rest the sounds are the same, as well as the blocks (= +200 amps, + 1100 cabs, ...). The only (not noticable) difference is the quality of the delay block, witch can overload the power when set to ultra.

The FM3 will get soon Hires IR's and the new drive block from the axe, as well as cygnus.

I think you will do fine with the FM3
    I have a question. I think I've read about it, but just to be sure, can your record the FM3 directly through an USB? Or can you only use the XLR out?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I have a question. I think I've read about it, but just to be sure, can your record the FM3 directly through an USB? Or can you only use the XLR out?
    Works the same way as all the Fractal products - USB port on the back becomes your interface when plugged into the computer.

It is a FANTASTIC option for people who want the sound quality but don't need ALL the bells and whistles. It is gig-ready and sounds amazing.