• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Bad VS Good Practice Habits

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend+
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CNRR8KCjidR/?igshid=lsri5bd2vgr4

So tonight I had a bit of a “light bulb moment”. I knew about the different picking techniques and such but never went into any detail with them because I’m stubborn and I always just tried to play songs which ever way. But tonight as I was learning this solo (and very attentively referencing Syn’s Instagram video of him playing this solo backstage) I learned the use of economy picking. I know of it prior, but at that moment I then understood it. And in my strive to gain better practice habits I made this video displaying my previous practice habits (not so long ago unfortunately) and my new practice habits. Happy SynnerSunday

Ibiz123

Free Bird Player
    Apr 13, 2021

So tonight I had a bit of a “light bulb moment”. I knew about the different picking techniques and such but never went into any detail with them because I’m stubborn and I always just tried to play songs which ever way. But tonight as I was learning this solo (and very attentively referencing Syn’s Instagram video of him playing this solo backstage) I learned the use of economy picking. I know of it prior, but at that moment I then understood it. And in my strive to gain better practice habits I made this video displaying my previous practice habits (not so long ago unfortunately) and my new practice habits. Happy SynnerSunday
    I've been playing guitar for almost three years and I definitely wouldn't call myself advanced, but I think the most important thing is playing clean. Don't speed up until you can't hear any 'dirty' sounds. It may sound cheesy, but it really helped me. Sometimes it's frustrating af, but you'll get there. Good luck!

Reactions: Jeremy Healey

Ibiz123

Free Bird Player
    Apr 13, 2021
    I've been playing guitar for almost three years and I definitely wouldn't call myself advanced, but I think the most important thing is playing clean. Don't speed up until you can't hear any 'dirty' sounds. It may sound cheesy, but it really helped me. Sometimes it's frustrating af, but you'll get there. Good luck!
    Also I'd suggest starting from easier solos like 'Seize The Day' or 'So Far Away'. Learning really difficult solos may be frustrating, especially when you can't see any progress for months. On the other hand, being able to play some of Syn's solos is pretty rewarding - and also beneficial, since you'll be working on your technique anyway. Cheers

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I'll be honest. I haven't really played many of syns solos since I started writing my own music. But I could barely do chapter 4 before. I think if I sat down now and spent like a week I could get them down. But I spent more time developing my techniques using the lessons on the school. It'll help you figure out WHY syn chooses to economy pick over a sweep or alternate. You also gain massive ginger strength just learning simple arpeggios cause you use all fingers.

I'm just now starting to think of the idea of playing syn solo and avenged songs again but it's hard to spend time there with so much theory knowledge to gain. I understand understand rewards of playing syn solos but i feel it's more rewarding when you website your own.