• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Bat country solo help

TheBrokenGod

Free Bird Player
Jan 8, 2022
I can play most of the solo, but am currently struggling (and have been for about 3 or so months now) to do the part right before the duet, the part where it's a fast up then back down on the frets kind of thing, does anyone have any tips, or advice, on how I should go about doing it, or any exercises that could help? Right now I've just been trying to do it slowly then speed it up but I'm not making any progress doing it this way.

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Aug 12, 2022
I can play most of the solo, but am currently struggling (and have been for about 3 or so months now) to do the part right before the duet, the part where it's a fast up then back down on the frets kind of thing, does anyone have any tips, or advice, on how I should go about doing it, or any exercises that could help? Right now I've just been trying to do it slowly then speed it up but I'm not making any progress doing it this way.
Are you talking about the alternate picked arpeggios part?

Upvote 0

TheBrokenGod

Free Bird Player
Jan 8, 2022
Do you have a posted video attempt of it? That may help with feedback.

I would keep at it moving slow to fast. Personally I try to slow down as much as possible like slower than comfortable. And definitely use a metronome.

Other than that just keep
Do you have a posted video attempt of it? That may help with feedback.

I would keep at it moving slow to fast. Personally I try to slow down as much as possible like slower than comfortable. And definitely use a metronome.

Other than that just keep shredding it.
That’s my attempt at it, if I go any faster the notes get mixed together and stop sounding out entirely.

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I'm guessing you're looking mostly at a hand synchronization problem. There are a ton of exercises out there to work on hand sync, especially on single string runs. Look up the Bens on YouTube (Higgins and Eller) for good hand sync exercises, then slowly work your way up.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    Firstly, you're trying to take on WAY too much at once. Those alternate picked chromatic scales that Syn plays (what you're playing) is a really, REALLY freaking long-ass run. You're trying to practice the whole thing at the same time, and you're doing yourself a massive disservice practicing it like that.

This run is ungodly fast. Like, really super shreddy fast. So before I give any help, please be kind to yourself. If you can promise me the following, I'll make a practice video that I'd like you to do SPECIFICALLY to help with this:

1. Promise yourself you'll give yourself at LEAST 3-6 months to get it up to speed
    2. Practice what I lay out for you for AT LEAST an hour everyday.

I don't know how often you practice or how long. But unless you're willing to dedicate at LEAST an hour DAILY to THIS alone, it will take you way too long to get to your goals.

So if you can promise me you'll be kind to yourself and give yourself at least 3-6 months to get it right, and give yourself an hour a day to practice this, I'll make a video for you that I KNOW is going to help you.

@Ed Seith is right, it's going to be a massive hand-synching issue, as what it usually is with alternate picking runs.

Also? Mad props for posting the video! This helped a lot!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

DXMG503

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think just slowing it down and keeping to a metronome then increasing it will help.

I havn't tried playing this song in years but I remember using guitar pro and slowing down the tabs so I could play along in time. Then increased by 10 rpm every time I got comfortable..
    I second this. Also, play as delicately as you can - don’t stiff up or anything. It takes a bit of time, and it can be boring. Even just repeating the run for a few minutes every day will help.

Your video looks like you’re practicing it well. Keep at it.

Just a friendly note, the last run you did in the video is wrong. Thankfully, most of the tabs for this solo are really accurate. Syn also has some old lesson videos on playing this solo which will help with that

Upvote 0

famednow

New Student
    Dec 1, 2022
    I second this. Also, play as delicately as you can - don’t stiff up or anything. It takes a bit of time, and it can be boring. Even just repeating the run for a few minutes every day will help.

Your video looks like you’re practicing it well. Keep at it.

Just a friendly note, the last run you did in the video is wrong. Thankfully, most of the tabs for this solo are really accurate. Syn also has some old lesson videos on playing this solo which will help with that
    Yeah. I remember using the John Petrucci flight of the Bumblebee tab to help me good woth chromatics. I never got as fast as John, but it sure helped with chromatic runs like in Bat country. I found the sweeps in Bat Country hard though, still do!

Upvote 0

TheBrokenGod

Free Bird Player
    Jan 8, 2022
    Firstly, you're trying to take on WAY too much at once. Those alternate picked chromatic scales that Syn plays (what you're playing) is a really, REALLY freaking long-ass run. You're trying to practice the whole thing at the same time, and you're doing yourself a massive disservice practicing it like that.

This run is ungodly fast. Like, really super shreddy fast. So before I give any help, please be kind to yourself. If you can promise me the following, I'll make a practice video that I'd like you to do SPECIFICALLY to help with this:

1. Promise yourself you'll give yourself at LEAST 3-6 months to get it up to speed
    2. Practice what I lay out for you for AT LEAST an hour everyday.

I don't know how often you practice or how long. But unless you're willing to dedicate at LEAST an hour DAILY to THIS alone, it will take you way too long to get to your goals.

So if you can promise me you'll be kind to yourself and give yourself at least 3-6 months to get it right, and give yourself an hour a day to practice this, I'll make a video for you that I KNOW is going to help you.

@Ed Seith is right, it's going to be a massive hand-synching issue, as what it usually is with alternate picking runs.

Also? Mad props for posting the video! This helped a lot!
    I'd gladly practice something for at least an hour each day for a few months if it means I'll be able to play it, thank you for the help

Upvote 0

Alexander

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    AZ
    That’s my attempt at it, if I go any faster the notes get mixed together and stop sounding out entirely.
    I have been neglecting this segment lol. But I will practice it alongside you. One thing I noticed that may help is shifting your pinky during the transition from 13 to 14 to then 15. Then continue that chromatic with that position.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I made a bit more progress. I also added more hand shifting, which made playing at around 60% speed a bit easier. Still, I can’t yet imagine how I’ll manage when I get to 100%. 🫠
    If it starts to get uncontrollable you could go back a bit slower, maybe you'll notice something you can adjust, I think you did it this time too

Upvote 0