• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

BATMAN by Danny Elfman

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
aah cool! every month im here to learn new music from your suggestions! this time i already knew, cuz im a huge elfman fan, BUT, i didnt know you worked with him, WHAT THE HELL? will check it out! btw feels good to see you talking about of my favorites! When comes o soundtracks, mr Elfman and mr John Williams are my favorites by far, both genius musicians! all the best man!
Those Elfman and Williams are my favs as well:pink-heart:

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Just finished listening to the soundtrack. As a 90s kid, this movie was a part of my childhood, even though it's been so long since the last time I watched it and I can't remember much (must watch it again!). Tim Burton and Danny Elfman were a big part of my childhood; Tim is my fav director, and my fav movies come from his brilliant mind (Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice), and both those movies have Danny Elfman taking care of the music aspect. So, this AOTM rec has two of the most inspirational people of my life! I really love it!

Those are the songs that I liked the most

Roof Fight: that tension throughout the song keeps building up, and it makes you feel an urge to escape, to run away.
    Kitchen, Surgery, Face-Off: a very dark vibe and then, that part by the end of the song hits suddenly, and everything turns into this epic, kinda uplifting ballroom, waltz dance.
    Clown Attack: I love this type of song, where you can feel the tension building up and makes you be on the edge, feeling like something bad is about to happen. That piano gives that creepy, chilling vibe.
    Batman To The Rescue: I don't know if this actually inspired the Andronikos Theme from the Hail To The King: Deathbat game, but that's what I felt as soon as I started listening to this song! I heard an organ in some part of the song (which I really LOVE, because it gives a more gothic vibe to the song).
    Decent Into Mystery: this one makes me feel like something glorious, powerful and exciting is about to happen.
    Charge Of The Batmobile: around 1:00 the song turns into an epic adventure, and I really loved it! Wish it was longer.
    Up The Cathedral: I absolutely LOVE the organ in this song! Man, love me some dark, gothic vibe! lol
    Waltz To The Death: "Have you ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?". This might be my favorite song from the soundtrack, at the moment.

With all due respect to Hans Zimmer, which is another brilliant composer whose work I admire so much, but Danny Elfman is the best! I can definitely hear how he inspired A7X's music, not only ALPOH.

Had a blast with this rec, Syn! Thank you again. Luv ya! ❤

Gonna read the other reviews now.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    @Syn Gates out here always being the biggest Batman fan and no one can say otherwise... 😎
    20210529_163956.jpg

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    So damn good. I adore this film and soundtrack. The scene when the Joker sticks the feather pen in homies neck always freaked me out as a kid haha. And Danny Elfman, what a genius. He and Tim always make for an incredible duo. I think this soundtrack is a prime example of musically matching the vibe of the film to a T, if not more so being the reason the vibe is the way it is to begin with. Solid choice brother.

Also never knew you got to work with the man himself, how cool!

Side note: the AOTM playlist has been updated to include Batman!

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Hey Syn. Thanks for reminding me about this movie. I haven't seen it since I was young. It's classic Tim Burton. Dark, creepy, and weird. From elementary through the end of high school, I played brass instruments in school bands and orchestras, mainly French horn and trumpet. Through this I was exposed to a lot of classical music and started paying attention to film scores. Very quickly Danny Elfman, John Williams, and James Horner became my favorite composers. So it's no surprise that many of my favorite movies were scored by these guys. Movie scores can completely change how a movie is received by people. I know Danny Elfman gets labeled as "weird" especially with his scores for Pee Wee and Men in Black. But I think it's that quirkiness that makes his scores so unique. Gonna come back with my thoughts.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I wish I could say I did more but it was mainly feedbacky ambient stuff. I showed up with a guitar and basically shoved it into the studio speakers for a few hours to make some weird noises. I was never called back.
    It’s funny, I’m on my bike ride, and I made a quick playlist of Batman and Wanted. More on Batman later, but I listened for you in “The Little Things,” and nah, nothing, but a couple tracks later in a more orchestral piece, there was some highly processed stuff that sounded like “atmospheric noise” and feedback on a guitar. Some of it was flipped backwards and some had a lot of filtering and stuff on it, but in my head I said, “that could be Syn.” Never would have guessed it was you without you mentioning it. Very cool and thanks! More thoughts on Batman when I get home and showered and stuff.

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    Ooh I'm really stoked for this one! I'm always a sucker for movie soundtracks and I loved Elfman's work in the movies I've seen, having been an emo kid in the 2000s, Nightmare Before Christmas is probably the one I am most familiar with..
    I don't know if I know the Batman soundtrack beyond the main theme so I'll definitely give this one a watch and a listen 🤓

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    And to conclude, Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?:devilish:
    I wrote this on my review, without even seeing that you had written it already. Now you're gonna say I was copying you, but in reality you copied me, because you knew I would write it and decided to do it first just to piss me off, right, @Radu-Cristian Perde? 🙄

Aquamandy

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Brazil
    OK, I need to calm down and write my oppinions...

Well, is BATMAN so I listened to the whole album super excited and felt a rollercoaster of emotions. This may be my most different review I've made (not that I did so much but ok) cause I always try to analyze each song technically but that was impossible 😆 I let my emotions speak higher. So here are the main songs I would like to comment:

The Batman Theme: It's EPIC, SPLENDID, CHILLING. It matches a great opening with a powerful turn that makes it the biggest soundtrack to one of the greatest heroes of all time 💪
    Listening to it gave me childhood memories 🥺 and made me dream about being in Batman's universe again 😆

Clown Attack and The Joker's Poem: I love how they capture the Joker's essence very very well. Joker is a complex character with many layers of development, and these two musics transcribe his nature in a perfect way.

Photos/Beautiful Dreamer: Finding this song in the middle of the epic soundtracks gave me a soft and warm vibe. 🤗

Descent into Mystery: This one has a thriller vibe, making justice to the Detective aspect of Batman. 🧐 I like the voices and how they give a special touch to the song.

The Bat Cave: How can a song capture the essence of a place? That's exactly what Danny Elfman did. You can feel like you're in a cave, you can imagine yourself in the Bat Cave, and that's fantastic!

Charge of The Batmobile and Attack of The Batwing: These two songs refer directly to The Batman Theme, and that's mindblowing, cause if you think deeply, Batmobile and Batwing are directly connected to Batman, as they're his possessions, and Danny did the same with its soundtracks too. Isn't it cool and well thought? 🤯👏

Waltz To The Death: I felt like I'm dancing with the Joker myself! This song has classical waltz style, but with little touches that turn this song into a insane and crazy dance. 💃

The Final Confrontation and Finale: When you're watching an action movie, you expect things go wild from the third act. You want more action, more fights, more explosions 💥, and the final soundtracks follow this same vibe, they're bigger, louder, deeper, and they finish suddenly with a quiet part, like all the superhero battles we see. It's a great way to finish a great soundtrack.

In short, it takes some high level to understand complex characters so well. It also takes another level to make great and catchy instrumental compositions. Danny Elfman's brilliant mind mixed both perfectly and the result couldn't be other than one of the most epic superhero soundtracks of all time 🦇🤓

This is my favorite AOTM along with Groove Family CYCO!

tenor.gif

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I wrote this on my review, without even seeing that you had written it already. Now you're gonna say I was copying you, but in reality you copied me, because you knew I would write it and decided to do it first just to piss me off, right, @Radu-Cristian Perde? 🙄
    I'm always a step ahead

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Danny Elfman is a freaking GOD! I don't think there is anything he has done that I do not like which makes it pretty difficult to pick favorites. This entire soundtrack is phenomenal and I LOVE the fact you've encouraged those who have not seen it to watch it first. You TRULY do have to be able to put a scene to the music to truly appreciate it.

My two personal favorites are:

1. "Joker's Poem" because I adore that scene. The music box like sound goes so well with Joker's farewell bid to Vicky perfectly and creates just enough tension. The quick switch up at the end to the big theatrical finish is perfection! I feel like this scene really encompassed multiple sides of joker and the song did it justice.

"I'm only laughing on the outside, my smile is just skin deep. If you could see inside I'm really crying, you might join me for a weep."

2. "childhood remembered" Is also a favorite, again because of the scene. It is so intense and dark. We have seen many variations of the murder of Bruce's parents, but this one has always been my favorite. The way the music intertwines with this scene always got me especially in the scene where the music cuts out to where you can barely hear it and its eerily silent. The score is hauntingly beautiful, with a dark yet ethereal feel at times and always building the tension. Which is why we all love Danny ! He truly is the master of all things dark, yet pretty imo.

Leo7F

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 16, 2019
    Portugal
    I'm composing some stuff on the pinkly smooth style (my favourite music style ever), so i started listening to Danny Elfman as he is maybe your main influence. When i listened to the batman theme i noticed that the intro is almost the same that the intro of Pixel and Nasal, and i always wanted to know, was this intentional? would you like to tell us something else about Pinkly please (your favourite song for example hehe)? thank you Syn and Papa! |m|

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I'm recovering from my first Covid shot. So I'm reviewing the whole album because I feel like crap and have nothing else to do. :)

"The Batman Theme"-Fucking French horns!!!! Great way to start any album.
    "Roof Fight"-Great ominous sound and the main theme making a reappearance is great.
    "First Confrontation"-Very foreboding "Jaws" type feel. I'm getting ALPOH vibes from this one. Also hearing shades of The Planets suite by Gustav Holst. Specifically "Mars" and "Uranus".
    "Kitchen, Surgery, Face Off"-Nice change of pace. But that waltz at the end gives me hives because any French horn player will tell you that for the most part waltzes are very boring for us. Just eighth notes the whole damn time. Our high school orchestra played a waltz concert every year. Hated it so much.
    "Flowers"-Now this one sounds a bit like the Superman score in the beginning, again with a hint of The Planets. This time "Neptune".
    "Clown Attack"-Sounding a bit more like classic Danny Elfman. Also sounds like the Super Mario theme. Not the main one, but there's another theme that comes in when you're underground or something. I can't remember. Needs more French horn though.
    "Batman to the Rescue"-Back to the French horns and the main theme!!!!! I can't accurately describe what the piano is doing, but it reminds me of the score to "The Great Escape". It gives a feel of someone running.
    "Roasted Dude"-Weird. Very weird.
    "Photos/Beautiful Dreamer"-Very creepy at times. I do like Beautiful Dreamer. Needs more French horn.
    "Descent into Mystery"-Love the choir. This one gives off an "O Fortuna" feel. Also, sounds like parts of this was revisited for the Sleepy Hollow score.
    "The Bat Cave"-Again. I get The Planets feel.
    "The Joker's Poem"-Reminds me of Pee Wee.
    "Childhood Remembered"-Very dark. The percussion sounds like a heartbeat.
    "Love Theme"-Not a fan of this one. But that's because it reminds me of the Love Theme from Superman. Which I don't like. Also, needs more French horn. There's a theme to this review.
    "Charge of the Batmobile"-I like how this has a completely different feel. It's mostly the main theme but the percussion gives a different feel that I can't put into words. And honestly, parts of this sound like "The Wicked End" to me.
    "Attack of the Batwing"-There are parts of this one that sound like they made it into future Danny Elfman movies. Blanking on them though. Might be my favorite track.
    "Up the Cathedral"-Love the bells and the organ. Very fitting. And again. Shades of The Planets. Love all the French horn.
    "Waltz to the Death"-Please refer to my previous statement that I hate waltzes with a passion.
    "The Final Confrontation"-More vibes from the Planets. Love the urgent feel of this one and the reprise to a bit of Beautiful Dreamer.
    "Finale"-Just a beautiful ending to this masterpiece of a soundtrack. Think I heard the 1812 Overture in there for a second.
    "Batman Theme Reprise"-Back to the main theme. Love it.

There you have my very wordy review.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Okay, so I haven't seen this movie in a LONG time - decades. I may have to revisit. The score is pure Danny. As varied and eclectic as he is, there are always "tells" that give away the author, whether he's writing soundtracks, solo stuff, or Oingo stuff. As I listened to this there was a part early on that made me think of The Simpsons theme, which led to, "oh yeah, that's Danny too," which led to "AND that was right around the same time as this!" so very cool to see that come around.

Also a lot of little bits and touches that likely influenced later film composers like Hans Zimmer, while also maintaining the idea of character themes perfected and made popular by John Williams.

Also, since Syn mentioned what he did in the "Wanted" score, I thought it merited pointing out - Syn always wanted to be a session musician, but wound up being a rock star instead. The rock star thing got him the chance to be a session musician for DANNY FUCKING ELFMAN, which ain't a bad way to come full circle. NICE!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Okay, so I haven't seen this movie in a LONG time - decades. I may have to revisit. The score is pure Danny. As varied and eclectic as he is, there are always "tells" that give away the author, whether he's writing soundtracks, solo stuff, or Oingo stuff. As I listened to this there was a part early on that made me think of The Simpsons theme, which led to, "oh yeah, that's Danny too," which led to "AND that was right around the same time as this!" so very cool to see that come around.

Also a lot of little bits and touches that likely influenced later film composers like Hans Zimmer, while also maintaining the idea of character themes perfected and made popular by John Williams.

Also, since Syn mentioned what he did in the "Wanted" score, I thought it merited pointing out - Syn always wanted to be a session musician, but wound up being a rock star instead. The rock star thing got him the chance to be a session musician for DANNY FUCKING ELFMAN, which ain't a bad way to come full circle. NICE!
    You most definitely need to revisit it ! I’ve got the VHS tape if you wanna borrow it 🤣

…..we are old Ed…. 🥲