• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Battery on sun valley schreder

TrentNWM

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 15, 2019
    A lot of S-V-S guitars use RetroActive EMGs or USA SS/Pasadena, and these do last for a pretty good time. I find that the batteries begin to run out around 1/2-2 months, but can decrease much less depending on how much you play your shredder or if you leave the pickups on/hot. It also depends on the quality of batteries you use (I always recommend that you use high quality batteries because the cheap ones make the pickups weaker). Oh and if you have two active pickups then this will cut the life of your 9V in half, so keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Active pickups ALWAYS require batteries that work. Whenever a cable is plugged into the output jack, the battery is powering the pickups. I've had batteries last six months or more, but it depends on how much you play it and whether you forget to unplug it from time to time.

When the battery starts to go, you'll start to "fight" the guitar to play how you like it. It will sound weak and maybe a little fuzzy, and you'll wonder why you keep fucking up, until you realize that probably means you need a new battery.

Know about how long your battery lasts before you start using an active-pickup guitar for gigs, or else you should probably swap out the battery before the first gig, and at least every month thereafter - you don't want your battery to die mid-gig.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Upvote 0

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Also note that your battery usage will increase if you leave your cable plugged into the guitar when it's not in use, so remember to unplug in between sessions.

The circuit between pickup(s) and battery is typically complete when the cable is plugged in to the socket (if you replace the socket, you'll see their is more than the two prongs connected).

...which typically.. as I just read #WhatEdSaid #WhatEdJustSaid #mutters

• Haha
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0