• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Beast and the Harlot Help

chazzy

New Student
Jul 22, 2020
Hey everyone!

I'm learning the Beast and the Harlot and I have a form question about the solo and the main riff played with individual notes. I'm having a lot of trouble playing the super fast scale run in the solo and the riff at normal speed.

When I play the fast picking should my picking hand generate motion form my wrist? Or should I generate motion from my elbow?

When I do super fast tremolo picking I move my whole arm (motion from my elbow). But when I do that with this song my fretting hand can't go that fast and I barely have any control with my picking hand (I end up playing too many strokes per string and my left and right hand are not in sync).

But when I try to move just my wrist to generate speed with my picking hand I can't move it nearly fast enough.

Any tips?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate any tips! I feel like no matter how much I practice it just sounds horrible, I'm either going too slow Or my right hand is picking way too fast and out of control for my fretting hand to follow, so I thought I may by using horrible form.

-Chaz

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So, in principle the movement of you pick should always come form your wrist unless your strumming chords. Picking very fast from the elbow may result in what you would call a tennis arm. The reason is exactly like what you describe, from the wrist it's easier to control the motion and fast speeds are also more accessible since you make a smaller motion.

It sound like you need to get rid of a habit to do so. Try picking a scale(any will do) and begin very slowly with a metronome and pick from the wrist. Gradually increase speed to get it up to super sonic level and you're good

Attachments

• Sonic-The-Hedgehog-foto-3-600-bij-400.jpg
    Sonic-The-Hedgehog-foto-3-600-bij-400.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    So, in principle the movement of you pick should always come form your wrist unless your strumming chords. Picking very fast form the elbow my day in what you would call a tennis arm. The reason is exactly like what you describe, form the wrist it's easier to control the motion and fast speeds are also more accessible since you make a smaller motion.

It sound like you need to get rid of a habit to do so. Try picking a scale(any will do) and begin very slowly with a metronome and pick from the wrist. Gradually increase speed to get it up to super sonic level and you're good
    Im just popping in to say that I found it hilarious and awesome that you took the time to attach a picture of Sonic. You didn't have to do it. But you did it anyways. Fucking legend

But yeah, great advice! You explained it well!

Jorge Melo

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Feb 8, 2021
    Chile
    Hi!
    That is a hard guitar solo, you just have to move your wrist for doing speed and alternating picking, if you move your elbow you are losing energy and tensing more muscles.
    I recommend to practice the solo very slow with a metronome, and use guitar pro for checking the notes of each measure

Reactions: Batbia and chazzy

chazzy

New Student
    Jul 22, 2020
    Thank you so much for the advice; I will practice with only moving my wrist. Should my finger joints bend at all or should I try to freeze all my joins (elbow joint and finger joint) and only move my wrist joint? Thanks guys! This speed stuff is new to me.

Also is there ever a situation where you would want to use your elbow joint? Maybe during the tremolo picking part from Shepherd of Fire solo? Just curious.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jorge Melo

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Feb 8, 2021
    Chile
    Thank you so much for the advice; I will practice with only moving my wrist. Should my finger joints bend at all or should I try to freeze all my joins (elbow joint and finger joint) and only move my wrist joint? Thanks guys! This speed stuff is new to me.

Also is there ever a situation where you would want to use your elbow joint? Maybe during the tremolo picking part from Shepherd of Fire solo? Just curious.
    Mmmm Try to dont tense any muscle, all the movements have to be natural, let your fingers and wrist flow.

Reactions: chazzy