• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

(Beginner) Finger touching multiple strings

Archnova

Free Bird Player
May 17, 2020
Hi,
This is a real beginner question but I was wondering : Is it a bad thing if my finger (often the pinky) touches multiples strings when I want to play a single note. I'm not talking about chords but for example, when I'm doing a pentatonic scale, my pinky often touches the string under the one that I'm playing. Since I don't find informations on that, I don't know if I need to stretch my hand or if it is just normal.
Thank you for your help and sorry for my english !

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Hi,
    This is a real beginner question but I was wondering : Is it a bad thing if my finger (often the pinky) touches multiples strings when I want to play a single note. I'm not talking about chords but for example, when I'm doing a pentatonic scale, my pinky often touches the string under the one that I'm playing. Since I don't find informations on that, I don't know if I need to stretch my hand or if it is just normal.
    Thank you for your help and sorry for my english !
    It's always like that in the beginning. It will get better once you use your pinky more. Just keep practicing and slow down if you need to. 1234 exercises could help too. It doesn't have to be a bad thing though, don't aimfor perfection right away.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Upvote 0

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's practice and finger strength. There's a spider exercise you can do that will help with your individual finger agility. With respect to your pinky, it could also be that your thumb is too high on the back of the guitar neck, as you move towards the thicker strings, you will want to move your thumb towards the floor side of the neck and then you can move it back to the ceiling side of the neck as you go to the thinner strings. There is a kind of exception if you're doing the over the top neck thing with your thumb (ie. how hendrix/frusciante do bar chords) ..but that's for future you to worry about...

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection