• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

[Beginner] How to realistically organize schedule between practice routine and learning songs?

Notare

One Stringer
Nov 28, 2020
Let’s say I want to practice 3 songs and I only have 30min/day to play, would it be better to:
Day 1: normal practice routine with exercises etc
Day 2: practice only song1 for 30min
Day 3: normal practice routine
Day 4: practice only song2 for 30min
Day 5: normal practice routine
Day 6: practice only song3 for 30min

Or

Day 1: normal practice routine with exercises etc
Day 2: practice all three songs for 10min each
Day 3: normal practice routine
Day 4: practice all three songs for 10min each
Day 5: normal practice routine
Day 6: practice all three songs for 10min each

I mean, will it make a difference in the long term practicing a song every 6 days for a longer time (the first method, cycling days) vs every other day for a shorter time?
Currently, I’m trying to learn only 1 song and trying to make it perfect and I think this is killing my progress and motivation, that’s why I want to include more songs to practice at the same time.

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    I am by no means an expert on this, but if I were you I would focus on learning one song and figuring out what techniques you need for that song. I get that there might be a lot of things you want to try and learn, but spreading your attention across all sorts of things is probably not gonna make you progress the way you want, especially if you want to get it perfect like you say you do. As much as we want to think we can multitask, neurologically speaking it is just not a thing sadly.

And just to end this whole thing off with a bit of self-promotion: I did a whole stream about learning/figuring out how you learn things and how to build a practice routine about a month ago. You can watch it back here if you want to.