• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Beginner set up?

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
Jul 5, 2022
Hey. I'm new here and I'm sure I am repeating a question asked before but I couldn't find the answer so I'm hoping not to be too annoying.

I'm keen to learn guitar. I have no experience at all. Except from listening to more music than I like to admit. I currently own an acoustic guitar, and I am assuming it's very basic as it cost £250 about 15 years ago. I have had a little play today and I'm not feeling the love.

I think I am just going to buy an electric guitar and set up but I am so overwhelmed. I don't think it matters but just for info I am in the UK.

Would the Syn custom standard Schecter be suitable for someone learning? What else would I need?

I do believe that I may be having a midlife crisis ha ha ha. However I am determined and would appreciate any help. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Hey there, welcome to Synner!

So if you're just looking for the basics, I'd say the main things you will need are the guitar and an amp (plus a cable). You may also want to get some other small bits like picks, a strap and a clip-on tuner. From my own personal experience, I found the Syn models were great for me to learn on. The inlays on the fretboard were great for remembering which fret is which, plus it has 24 frets. The only "downside" is they have a Floyd Rose, which is great for keeping the guitar in tune as it "locks" them in place, but some people find them annoying. It definitely isn't a requirement and there are cheaper guitars around that are also really good (I had an Ibanez Gio too, which was really nice and had no Floyd Rose). It all comes down to preference really. If you've got any local music shops, maybe see if they have any guitars you can try out!

As for an amp, I've found that Line 6 amps are great for practicing and don't cost too much (I love the Spider 4 model), but admittedly I haven't tried out many others so my recommendations there are very limited. This isn't an exhaustive list and others may have some more detailed recommendations or something I've missed, but I hope this has helped you to get started! :)

Reactions: Cleo.Black
    Upvote 0

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I actually live in the middle of nowhere (The Forest of Dean) and there are not many guitar places around so replies like yours really are very helpful. Even if I did get myself to a guitar shop I think I'd be way to embarrassed to ask for help. So would probably end up buying nothing I wanted so I didn't feel awkward. I will Google the Floyd Rose thing as I have no idea what that is but it sounds important and maybe helpful?
    I really am grateful for your help. I've no doubt that I will learn as once I decide to do something I generally do it but it is amazing to be in a space where I can ask such basic questions. Thank you.

• Love
    Reactions: Matt Wildcat
    Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    First of, welcome, I'm happy to have you here!

To add on to what Matt say, just know that there are 2 versions of the Synyster Standard: one with Floyd Rose and one without it (Hardtail bridge).

Synyster Custom with Hardtail: https://www.schecterguitars.com/Synyster-Custom-HT?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=725

The Synyster Custom with Floyd Rose don't seem to be in production at the moment according to the schecter site but you could find them fairly easily on the used market or even held in stock somewhere if you're lucky.

All those point aside, Floyd Rose can and will be a pain in the ass if you are a complete beginner. Are they useful? Yes if your type of playing fits into it. I have 3 guitars equipped with it and I barely use it so to each their own. On the other end, the hardtail guitar will be MUCH easier for you to use. It will sound the exact same, you just won't be able to ''dive bomb'' but as I said, depends on your playing style.

All said and done, you can never go wrong with a Synyster guitar. They all play wonderfully! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! It's always a pleasure to help! :)

• Love
    Reactions: Matt Wildcat
    Upvote 0

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I actually live in the middle of nowhere (The Forest of Dean) and there are not many guitar places around so replies like yours really are very helpful. Even if I did get myself to a guitar shop I think I'd be way to embarrassed to ask for help. So would probably end up buying nothing I wanted so I didn't feel awkward. I will Google the Floyd Rose thing as I have no idea what that is but it sounds important and maybe helpful?
    I really am grateful for your help. I've no doubt that I will learn as once I decide to do something I generally do it but it is amazing to be in a space where I can ask such basic questions. Thank you.
    You're very welcome, we're always happy to help here! No question is ever too basic, so if you ever have any more, feel free to fire away!
    It sucks to hear there's not really any shops local (and trust me, I feel the anxiety about asking for help!), but I'm sure someone else may be able to chime in with some pros and cons of other guitars they know about to help you decide what kind may be best for you. I wish you all the best in finding one and beginning your journey! :D

Upvote 0

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    First of, welcome, I'm happy to have you here!

To add on to what Matt say, just know that there are 2 versions of the Synyster Standard: one with Floyd Rose and one without it (Hardtail bridge).

Synyster Custom with Hardtail: https://www.schecterguitars.com/Synyster-Custom-HT?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=725

The Synyster Custom with Floyd Rose don't seem to be in production at the moment according to the schecter site but you could find them fairly easily on the used market or even held in stock somewhere if you're lucky.

All those point aside, Floyd Rose can and will be a pain in the ass if you are a complete beginner. Are they useful? Yes if your type of playing fits into it. I have 3 guitars equipped with it and I barely use it so to each their own. On the other end, the hardtail guitar will be MUCH easier for you to use. It will sound the exact same, you just won't be able to ''dive bomb'' but as I said, depends on your playing style.

All said and done, you can never go wrong with a Synyster guitar. They all play wonderfully! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask! It's always a pleasure to help! :)
    Thank you so much. I will see what is on offer here in the UK. This seems standard https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...qmclz_DxJJshM_CJVYnyhUX92SqrnhUYaAjisEALw_wcB
    It all sounds like another language to me right now (I'll get there in the end) but once I have what I need I am sure I'll be okay. What a brilliantly helpful community. I decided I needed to learn the guitar when I bought Waking the Fallen all those years ago. Nah, it was probably after stealing my Dad's copy of Appetite for Destruction... however... unfortunately life got in the way.
    Thank you.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thank you so much. I will see what is on offer here in the UK. This seems standard https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...qmclz_DxJJshM_CJVYnyhUX92SqrnhUYaAjisEALw_wcB
    It all sounds like another language to me right now (I'll get there in the end) but once I have what I need I am sure I'll be okay. What a brilliantly helpful community. I decided I needed to learn the guitar when I bought Waking the Fallen all those years ago. Nah, it was probably after stealing ny Dad's copy of Appetite for Destruction... however... unfortunately life got in the way.
    Thank you.
    Yes that's the standard! I own 2 of those and they served me well so can't go wrong! It has a floyd rose though but that's no biggie. In anyways, if it causes any problem, we're here to help!

I also found that the custom with fixed bridge is available for order on the website so for your consideration: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Schecter-Synyster-Custom-Hipshot-Black/3B86

But yeah, it's never too late! Welcome to the family and I hope to see you hang out with us often!

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    I am really torn what to go for. I have been browsing sites for ages. I really love the sound of every guitar I look at. I'd love to learn with a Synyster one alongside Papa Gates as I would find this visually easier. However everyone in the community seems to recommend the custom. I thought hey may as well go for that and then everyone was raving about the custom S so I thought that's cool... but I cannot find a new one in the UK without a long wait except from the gold and I'm all about the black and silver. Have I missed something?
    Geez, I'm going to have to work alot of overtime and hope that the government has a plan for a huge payrise for nurses he he.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

Tunefulcathodic

Garage band Groupie
  • Jun 9, 2022
    well i didnt buy an amp , cause y use the laptop and a realtone cable i had a budget of €220 and with thah i get the guitar (Harley benton r-446), a realtone cable, a strap and a kit of 12 picks.

i use softwares as Bias efffect(free version), bias amp(free version) , and rocksmit (a game that cost €11)

with that you can sound good without disturbing anyone haha but is not like a good amp and pedals, (but es economic in the other side)

Upvote 0

Cleo.Black

One Stringer
    Jul 5, 2022
    well i didnt buy an amp , cause y use the laptop and a realtone cable i had a budget of €220 and with thah i get the guitar (Harley benton r-446), a realtone cable, a strap and a kit of 12 picks.

i use softwares as Bias efffect(free version), bias amp(free version) , and rocksmit (a game that cost €11)

with that you can sound good without disturbing anyone haha but is not like a good amp and pedals, (but es economic in the other side)
    Gosh I had not even considered amps etc but at least I'll have a little money left to budget. That is good to know about the laptop. Thank you.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tunefulcathodic
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

mehrzad abedini

New Student
    Mar 21, 2023
    Hi, i am new player and i have trouble with the emp setting. I want to make my guitar sound like what synyster plays but i never finded the right setting.(I have an Ibanez GRG121DX guitar an Vox Vt20x Emp)
    I dont have any pedal yet but i wanna found that clean overdrive what Symyster plays.

I would appreciate any help. Thank you :)

Upvote 0