• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Best explanation of CAGED system yet!

Justin Mcinnis

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I just got to say, I was playing through the lessons on the caged system, and they are great! I’ve been playing for 22 years, and wasn’t expecting to find much in the beginners section…but there it was. Something I’ve overlooked in my younger years, and is such a handy tool when you know it inside and out. The caged system… When I got older, I tried watching some videos, and applying it, but I’d always feel like I had a couple questions I couldn’t get answered. Well these lessons are a great road map. Now it’s just a matter of learning a few shapes, and it should become second nature eventually. And if you learn it early, it can give you great knowledge of the fretboard, and you can throw the “thinking” part out the window.

Justin Mcinnis

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Have you watched all the lessons pertaining to CAGED yet? If not, I’d say watch them all. But also, learn them one at a time. Learn them and then link them together as you learn. Also you don’t really have to relearn chord shapes. As long as you account for an open note as you slide the shape up and down the neck. Take the c shape for example. When you play an actual c chord, you have an open high e and an open g. So if you’re playing a d chord/sound, but you want to use the ‘c shape’ in the caged system, you would slide your usual c up two frets, to the d. Now you must also slide those two open strings up two frets, and fret them on the second fret. I’m no teacher and the full aha moment for me came after watching these great lessons. Work through them and learn them one at a time and I think you’ll be Good!