• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Best guitar pick for Syn's style of playing

MaybeBaby

New Student
Sep 10, 2020
Hello SYNNER'S!
41.gif

I had been playing the guitar for about 7 years before I began to learn Synyster's playing style (Sweep picking, economy picking, etc.)
And for the majority of that time, I was using Jazz 3 picks.

A while ago, I tried using a regular sized pick (specifically, this PRS Heavy) and it felt more... "right," so I was wondering if this pick is suitable for syn's style of playing.

Although it feels like I have more control with a regular pick on fast sweeps and other fast parts, I am not used to this size.

Do you have any suggestions on which pick is better?
Does it depend on the style, and I need to switch to a bigger pick when playing Syn's stuff, or should I stick to what is familiar.

Reactions: Matt Wildcat

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The pick is one of the most important ways the player interacts with the instrument. The single most important thing for the pick to be is what YOU need it to be. You don't need to change to Syn's pick to play Syn stuff. It should be all about your comfort zone.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    100% what @Ed Seith said here. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to what they want feel-wise out of a pick. Emulating Syn will only give you what feels comfortable to Syn's hand physiology, which will differ from yours etc.

In saying that though, I used Ultex Jazz IIIs (1 mm ish) for about 3-4 years and swore by them as 'my pick' , then a few weeks back I randomly picked up a 0.73 pick that one of my students had left one day when I ran out of the Ultex...I genuinelly would never have considered a thinner pick and I'm now pretty much converted to 0.73's - which is the gauge Syn happens to use, or the last thing I read on here 👌

My advice would be to give everything a fair chance and you'll find what works for you 😊

MaybeBaby

New Student
    Sep 10, 2020
    100% what @Ed Seith said here. Everyone has different preferences when it comes to what they want feel-wise out of a pick. Emulating Syn will only give you what feels comfortable to Syn's hand physiology, which will differ from yours etc.

In saying that though, I used Ultex Jazz IIIs (1 mm ish) for about 3-4 years and swore by them as 'my pick' , then a few weeks back I randomly picked up a 0.73 pick that one of my students had left one day when I ran out of the Ultex...I genuinelly would never have considered a thinner pick and I'm now pretty much converted to 0.73's - which is the gauge Syn happens to use, or the last thing I read on here 👌

My advice would be to give everything a fair chance and you'll find what works for you 😊

I'm not really sure what guitar picker Syn use, so I was not talking about emulating him.

I randomly played with this pick and felt that it works good with his style of playing.
    So I think a better question is should I change picks when playing different styles

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I'm not really sure what guitar picker Syn use, so I was not talking about emulating him.

I randomly played with this pick and felt that it works good with his style of playing.
    So I think a better question is should I change picks when playing different styles
    Ah fair play! I'd say it really depends on what you intend on playing, like you could use a thick pick for overall playing and then use a thinner pick when playing/recording acoustic guitar just to get a different tone etc. It's really a personal choice/comfortability thing

Synner Endless Summer Collection