• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Best way to structure practice?

Pampers92

Free Bird Player
Apr 26, 2022
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked but does anyone have advice on how to structure my practice sessions? I'm a beginner (like a week into it) and taking the lessons but a little confused on how to take what I'm learning and practice in a meaningful way. Currently, I'm just switching between the scales and chords I'm learning with a focus on picking technique and tone but I feel like I'm not getting the most out of my practice. Thanks in advance!

Kazu

Free Bird Player
Oct 21, 2021
Versailles
first of all be aware that you have only one week into the guitar and it's really small compared to some people that have to have 2 years and don't even know the scales so be aware of that and chill with it. Guitar is very hard to manage and play on the right way so just chill with it and take your time guitar is very long to get well played !
Realize that you are very lucky to have discovered this site in your beginnings of guitar, so just learn, sleep well to memorize that and re-learn the next day :)

Upvote 0

Zack Elekes

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 13, 2019
I start my practice with 5 mins of warmups. After that I usually practice some scales with a metronome then practicing the techniques that I want to focus on. After finishing this I start fidling around and playing songs.
Not saying this is the perfect way, but this is how I get it done.
Have fun and be patient! You will be there in no time 😃

Upvote 0

Pampers92

Free Bird Player
Apr 26, 2022
first of all be aware that you have only one week into the guitar and it's really small compared to some people that have to have 2 years and don't even know the scales so be aware of that and chill with it. Guitar is very hard to manage and play on the right way so just chill with it and take your time guitar is very long to get well played !
Realize that you are very lucky to have discovered this site in your beginnings of guitar, so just learn, sleep well to memorize that and re-learn the next day :)
Yeah I guess I'm rushing myself a bit but I just want to maximize my practice so I develop good habits. Thanks for responding
I start my practice with 5 mins of warmups. After that I usually practice some scales with a metronome then practicing the techniques that I want to focus on. After finishing this I start fidling around and playing songs.
Not saying this is the perfect way, but this is how I get it done.
Have fun and be patient! You will be there in no time 😃
Ok cool this is more or less what I've been doing so thanks for that! While I have you, when I'm picking do I want my palm to rest on the strings I'm not using or should I keep my hand floating above the strings? I apologize if this makes no sense lol

Reactions: Christian Schulze
Upvote 0

Zack Elekes

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 13, 2019
Yeah I guess I'm rushing myself a bit but I just want to maximize my practice so I develop good habits. Thanks for responding

Ok cool this is more or less what I've been doing so thanks for that! While I have you, when I'm picking do I want my palm to rest on the strings I'm not using or should I keep my hand floating above the strings? I apologize if this makes no sense lol
Yes. It serves as a muting tool so you dont get much unwanted noise and it’s kind of an anchor too. I would suggest that you watch some good players like Syn and Papa Gates and analise their technique in depth also. That helped me when I got lost.

Upvote 0

tsm

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Jul 12, 2020
I'd say this is a valid and okay to ask question, because the process will be different for everyone. I follow a bit more with what Zack says, start with at least 5 minutes of warmups, then I'll spend maybe 10-15 on scales (can be 5-10 if you don't want to spend as long practicing!), then what I personally like to do is pick a song I wanna learn, start to play it, find out what techniques they use in that song and follow that up with finding a lesson here that corresponds to those techniques/tricks. For instance, I started going through Death By Rock and Roll by The Pretty Reckless (fairly simple song to pick up!) but they use a technique I haven't practiced much at all, which is pinch/artificial harmonics. I just happened to get through some of the intermediate lessons which ended with how to do pinch harmonics which really helped me figure out how to land them and bam: I'm moving forward more with that song.

Another aside to consider is to not stick just to these lessons. Take what they teach here and experiment with it on your own. If something doesn't quite stick or make sense, make note of it and do some research. There are tons of articles and YT videos of people explaining the same concepts, and one person may explain it in a way that makes more sense to you than it does here. Circle of 5ths is a great example for me. I had a bit of trouble grasping it from these lessons so I did more research and watched a few different videos until I found one that really clicked for me.

As your confidence grows, start trying to make your own little licks here and there. This will help build and flex your creative muscles while helping you solidify the lessons you learn. Take one lesson (maybe it's on a particular scale) then start playing with that scale on your own. Do different things with it, from string skipping to bending, hammer ons and pull offs, tapping etc. You probably haven't gotten there quite yet and that's okay. Take it one small piece at a time and let your confidence grow.

All in all, as with anything in life, the only thing that truly matters is consistency. What can you do and practice regularly that you can enjoy and be consistent with? Whatever that is, do it. 🤘 good luck with it and have fun!

Upvote 0

MuhammetÜnal

Free Bird Player
Jul 5, 2020
Türkiye
www.instagram.com
I'm practicing lesson that i whatced (YT videos, udemy videos and syn lessons ).I practice this lessons not regularly but i take notes for dont forget and im practicing these in long schedule.Another thing i do, learning songs that i want (these are also long schedule).And the last thing i do is download backing tracks and learning mods and scales with it.Btw i practice every thing with metronome!

Try to do practice every day 🤘Practice makes perfect. 🤟

Reactions: Pampers92
Upvote 0
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Pampers92

Free Bird Player
Apr 26, 2022
I'd say this is a valid and okay to ask question, because the process will be different for everyone. I follow a bit more with what Zack says, start with at least 5 minutes of warmups, then I'll spend maybe 10-15 on scales (can be 5-10 if you don't want to spend as long practicing!), then what I personally like to do is pick a song I wanna learn, start to play it, find out what techniques they use in that song and follow that up with finding a lesson here that corresponds to those techniques/tricks. For instance, I started going through Death By Rock and Roll by The Pretty Reckless (fairly simple song to pick up!) but they use a technique I haven't practiced much at all, which is pinch/artificial harmonics. I just happened to get through some of the intermediate lessons which ended with how to do pinch harmonics which really helped me figure out how to land them and bam: I'm moving forward more with that song.

Another aside to consider is to not stick just to these lessons. Take what they teach here and experiment with it on your own. If something doesn't quite stick or make sense, make note of it and do some research. There are tons of articles and YT videos of people explaining the same concepts, and one person may explain it in a way that makes more sense to you than it does here. Circle of 5ths is a great example for me. I had a bit of trouble grasping it from these lessons so I did more research and watched a few different videos until I found one that really clicked for me.

As your confidence grows, start trying to make your own little licks here and there. This will help build and flex your creative muscles while helping you solidify the lessons you learn. Take one lesson (maybe it's on a particular scale) then start playing with that scale on your own. Do different things with it, from string skipping to bending, hammer ons and pull offs, tapping etc. You probably haven't gotten there quite yet and that's okay. Take it one small piece at a time and let your confidence grow.

All in all, as with anything in life, the only thing that truly matters is consistency. What can you do and practice regularly that you can enjoy and be consistent with? Whatever that is, do it. 🤘 good luck with it and have fun!
Thanks for taking the time to write all that. This helps a lot!

Upvote 0

Ladywolf

Campfire Attention Holder
Jul 5, 2021
Whiteville, TN
Great advice for us beginners! I know I find myself frustrated that I have to repeat lessons to get them down. Thank you Kazu!

Upvote 0