• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Breaking down walls? Or something else?

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
How is it going Synners?

After another practice session today (and another fail at the planets solo), I just had an epiphany:

This is just another wall. Sooner or later it will fall.

I think you all faced these damn walls before, be it your first chord, song, or specially the F chord with the E shape barre chord.

So basically, learning guitar is just a breaking a bunch of walls, and the joy comes from breaking them, right?

Well no.

It’s so much more and actually more complex than that.

Playing guitar is fucking hard. We are actually reshaping what our hands are supposed to do!!! Can you believe that?!

Playing is so much more than smashing a goal and moving on to the next.

It teaches us to be patient, disciplined and to listen!

Something of which I am very guilty of not doing! Therefore, instead of seeing guitar as chore (like practicing), please shift your thinking and view it as a meditation and a practice in mindfulness and discipline.

Take a breath and forget all your worries and take that time for you and your instrument, which in many ways is like your best friend.

And next time you grab it please give it a hug and a kiss, cause that piece of wood has been there for us, taking our grief, joy, anger and all other sorts of emotions.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
That's good point! Walls are there to be broken(that's an unintentional reference to the wall we had in Europe for a while) and it definitely applies to learning something. Any wall you gave can be broken down but it won't be broken down if you give up and think you won't be able to. Take a step back and try again later or embrace it and let it motivate you. There are many ways how these walls can be made a positive thing

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Cant relate. There are no chords on the bass. I just bang the strings as hard as I can and im basically amongst the best players in the world.

Your pitiful guitar problem disgust me.

Hehe but for real, well said. Nothing comes easy. I really love how you start to incorporate a spiritual approach to your playing which I do a lot. Its a lot of hardwork and frustration but with just a little bit of perseverance, you just might get there.

Often enough, I find that when the wall seems like its the most unbreakable is right when im on the edge of cracking it. More often than not, progress is much more closer than we think. The thing is, progress isnt always in the form that we expect it to be. But it doesnt change the fact that it is progress.

So we continue until we break that wall!

...and then find that there is another one bigger behind it....

and then we look back and see how many of those walls we broke and then we realize how far we have come...

Well said, brother!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    How is it going Synners?

After another practice session today (and another fail at the planets solo), I just had an epiphany:

This is just another wall. Sooner or later it will fall.

I think you all faced these damn walls before, be it your first chord, song, or specially the F chord with the E shape barre chord.

So basically, learning guitar is just a breaking a bunch of walls, and the joy comes from breaking them, right?

Well no.

It’s so much more and actually more complex than that.

Playing guitar is fucking hard. We are actually reshaping what our hands are supposed to do!!! Can you believe that?!

Playing is so much more than smashing a goal and moving on to the next.

It teaches us to be patient, disciplined and to listen!

Something of which I am very guilty of not doing! Therefore, instead of seeing guitar as chore (like practicing), please shift your thinking and view it as a meditation and a practice in mindfulness and discipline.

Take a breath and forget all your worries and take that time for you and your instrument, which in many ways is like your best friend.

And next time you grab it please give it a hug and a kiss, cause that piece of wood has been there for us, taking our grief, joy, anger and all other sorts of emotions.
    I need to hear this today CJ ! Thank so much for your inspiring words !

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Definitely needed this. I’ve had an incredibly frustrating week playing wise. Nothing has come together and even things I usually have a great grasp on have fallen flat or at least messy. It happens, discouraging days or even periods happen to us all but sometimes all it takes is reading something like this to reinvigorate and get back up, thanks duders 🖤

• Love
    Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Cant relate. There are no chords on the bass. I just bang the strings as hard as I can and im basically amongst the best players in the world.

Your pitiful guitar problem disgust me.

Hehe but for real, well said. Nothing comes easy. I really love how you start to incorporate a spiritual approach to your playing which I do a lot. Its a lot of hardwork and frustration but with just a little bit of perseverance, you just might get there.

Often enough, I find that when the wall seems like its the most unbreakable is right when im on the edge of cracking it. More often than not, progress is much more closer than we think. The thing is, progress isnt always in the form that we expect it to be. But it doesnt change the fact that it is progress.

So we continue until we break that wall!

...and then find that there is another one bigger behind it....

and then we look back and see how many of those walls we broke and then we realize how far we have come...

Well said, brother!
    Man....I love this!

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Definitely needed this. I’ve had an incredibly frustrating week playing wise. Nothing has come together and even things I usually have a great grasp on have fallen flat or at least messy. It happens, discouraging days or even periods happen to us all but sometimes all it takes is reading something like this to reinvigorate and get back up, thanks duders 🖤
    You are very welcome. Been going through the same!