• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Brompton Cocktail Solo help

Clainsman

Garage band Groupie
Aug 17, 2021
So I've been trying to learn the Solo with tabs from Songsterr and it works kinda fine, but the solo as it sounds in the original song sounds kinda different. I have read that it may be, because San uses some kinds of effects but I wanted to know if it is that or if the solo on songsterr is just wrong?
Thanks for answers Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-01 um 16.20.04.png

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    It could be either and also the sound from the tab player. You could try to guess or work out the better sounding notes to the tab and also check some other tabs for differences. I think most tabs if not all are peoples interpretation of how it goes, it could be that someone wrote a tab to get better at writing or something and added it for others as well. Maybe this helps some

Reactions: Ian _Invader
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The official transcription on Ultimate Guitar is very different. And then I looked in the tab book, and it's much different there, as well - the almost tremolo picked parts in the image below are fleshed out into actual notes there.

This is super common with Syn's solos, especially the faster ones. His style and way of thinking about leads is very unconventional - even when they get the notes right, they usually get the TAB fingering wrong. I'll post a pic of the tab book page in a little bit - compare and see what you like best.

1669921028745.png

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Ed which do you think is more like how Synyster plays it?
    Sometimes I think there's a program that can make auto tabs
    It's hard to tell, because in addition to being mixed a little low, he's also got a wah effect going on it. I am most inclined to think the book is closest.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

DXMG503

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    A few notes from me on this solo:

After the wammy bar dive, he solos for a total of 4 bars.

The first two bars are him doing bends

I believe the 3rd bar of the solo is another area where he’s doing what I would call “2-string sweep picking.” This seems to be a technique he uses very often in his solos. Unfortunately, it’s not very intuitive when you listen to it, and most people get it wrong. The best example of him using this technique is the solo in Scream. If you learn how to play that solo properly, it will be a good starting point for figuring out what he’s doing in the 3rd bar of the Brompton Cocktail solo.

The 4th bar of the solo just sounds like alternate picking 16th notes, and shouldn’t be too hard to figure out.

Most of their tab books are terribly wrong. It’s really disappointing that they weren't done better, because people pay money for them.

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Does the Wah pedal raise the pitch and the whammy bar lower it? It's on my eventually list of things to get but in no hurry.

No, that's what a Whammy pedal does, though. A wah pedal is kind of like an EQ boost for a small set of frequencies, and moving the pedal moves the boosted frequencies up or down, and the effect can be similar to a talk box, but less expressive.

You can sort of simulate what it does with your mouth - take in a deep breath, and exhale slowly but "loudly" (like you're sighing loud enough for a person near you to hear it and ask "what's wrong?"). While you're exhaling, change the shape of your mouth opening, say from an "oh" shape to an "eee!" shape and hear how it changes the sound. The PITCH never changes, but the sound of it does. Hope that makes a little sense.

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I started practicing the first part of the Scream solo.

You can sort of simulate what it does with your mouth - take in a deep breath, and exhale slowly but "loudly" (like you're sighing loud enough for a person near you to hear it and ask "what's wrong?"). While you're exhaling, change the shape of your mouth opening, say from an "oh" shape to an "eee!" shape and hear how it changes the sound. The PITCH never changes, but the sound of it does. Hope that makes a little sense.
    Took me a moment, I think this is like singing but not sure

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0