• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Buidling a guitar/bass

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Does anyone here have any experience in building a guitar or bass?
    I'm considering building my own bass guitar from scratch using a blueprint but I'm not sure which one to pick, or which scale length I should go for. Short or medium? 20 frets should be enough with 4 strings and maybe not even more than one pickup.
    I might just copy the look of a superstrat for the body, it's the correct measurements that seem to be hard to find.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    You might be best off trying building one from a kit first.

If not, anyone who loves you will tell you not to make your own neck, at the VERY least.

• Haha
    • Love
    Reactions: Autumn and Lindsey

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    You might be best off trying building one from a kit first.

If not, anyone who loves you will tell you not to make your own neck, at the VERY least.

I'm going to make my own neck. 😂
    I'll make the pickups too but it's just for fun. If the body turns out okay I can still replace parts.
    I have some wood I can use lying around here that's good enough to try it on so I won't be wasting anything.

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm going to make my own neck. 😂
    I'll make the pickups too but it's just for fun. If the body turns out okay I can still replace parts.
    I have some wood I can use lying around here that's good enough to try it on so I won't be wasting anything.

Unless you have:
    • Been woodworking for several years
    • Built several guitars from a kit before
    • Have all the specialized tools to do the job
    I would advise against trying to build your own neck and/or pickups. The neck is not an approximate project, the measurements have to be EXACT. It may be a fun experience to go through the process of building your own neck, but without ALL of the proper tools AND the experience with lutherie, your neck will likely turn out botched.

Both projects are an absolute blast to do, through and through. Just be advised, circumstances may hinder the quality of your project.

The rest of the guitar is much simpler to make, but just be warned about building your own neck and pickups.

BEST OF LUCK! I HOPE YOU ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF YOUR BUILD.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Unless you have:
    • Been woodworking for several years
    • Built several guitars from a kit before
    • Have all the specialized tools to do the job
    I would advise against trying to build your own neck and/or pickups. The neck is not an approximate project, the measurements have to be EXACT. It may be a fun experience to go through the process of building your own neck, but without ALL of the proper tools AND the experience with lutherie, your neck will likely turn out botched.

Both projects are an absolute blast to do, through and through. Just be advised, circumstances may hinder the quality of your project.

The rest of the guitar is much simpler to make, but just be warned about building your own neck and pickups.

BEST OF LUCK! I HOPE YOU ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF YOUR BUILD.
    You're right but you can't get experience until you start doing it. Quality isn't the most important part about this project. If it fails it's okay.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    As an artist I highly encourage you to try it and as you know the risks that's totally fine. But it's a fact that you can only get good results with experience and probably the right investments over time. For me the problem would definetly be spending all the money into a project that is likely to fail.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    As an artist I highly encourage you to try it and as you know the risks that's totally fine. But it's a fact that you can only get good results with experience and probably the right investments over time. For me the problem would definetly be spending all the money into a project that is likely to fail.

I don't have to spend money because I have enough wood and everything to build pickups laying around. I only have to buy a truss ross, tuning/volume knobs and a switch but I'm waiting with that just in case it does fail.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber