• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar CAGED question

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey!
    I was practicing the CAGED chord shapes again last night and focus trying to repeat them but starting with different shapes to get a better grasp.
    It was fine when I started with open C but when I started with the F chord ( E shape barred ) and moved to the D then tried the C again, it didn't work.
    My guitar wasn't tuned well and didn't spend more time on it. Later I'll try it again but was wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
    I thought about going in reverse, I think it was EDGAC, do I do that?

Any tips or things too add is also welcome for sure.

Thanks in advance!
    g2g

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Apr 16, 2022
    I’m not quite sure what you meant when you said it didn’t work. Was there dead notes? Did it sound dissonant? Some advice I will give is when wanting to use the caged shapes and putting them to good use I would play your open chord like the c shape play the a shape on the farthest note on the c shape and so on. Then arpeggiate those notes of the chord shapes. Hope this helps.

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    I'm not sure is this what the question is. But if we start with E shape F major, then we continue with the D shape started on 3rd fret, then C shape on 5th fret, next A shape on 8th fret and G shape on 10th fret.
    It's basicly the same thing what @Al7eX said. The next shape start from the farthest note of the present shape.

f-major-chords.png

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I’m not quite sure what you meant when you said it didn’t work. Was there dead notes? Did it sound dissonant? Some advice I will give is when wanting to use the caged shapes and putting them to good use I would play your open chord like the c shape play the a shape on the farthest note on the c shape and so on. Then arpeggiate those notes of the chord shapes. Hope this helps.
    Yea this is what I did but started with F major 1st fret, went to D shape after that went good, then started the C chord but it seemed off.
    I didn't get the chance to try again today but was thinking maybe it's an octave higher?
    My guitar was out of tune some when I did it.
    So I think it should be right is what I'm getting from your message

Reactions: Al7eX
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I'm not sure is this what the question is. But if we start with E shape F major, then we continue with the D shape started on 3rd fret, then C shape on 5th fret, next A shape on 8th fret and G shape on 10th fret.
    It's basicly the same thing what @Al7eX said. The next shape start from the farthest note of the present shape.

View attachment 3126
    Great I was doing it correctly just something with the sound, thanks!

Reactions: Javier Wienarjati
    Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    What I did was start the chord on the 6th fret and not the fifth, I can see how the shape turns to a C but the furthest end of the D chord note is on the 6th.
    Saw now it's the B string where the notes move up, maybe that's why.
    The diagrams kind of are like the Guitar games how the notes go down while playing and light up.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    For clarity to people studying this, the importance is knowing the shapes and how to apply them, both to chord fragments and lead or melodic lines. There should be no expectation of trying to play the G shape in the second position (A Maj). That's not what it's about. If I tried to do that - at all - there would be irreparable damage. :)

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    What I did was start the chord on the 6th fret and not the fifth, I can see how the shape turns to a C but the furthest end of the D chord note is on the 6th.
    Saw now it's the B string where the notes move up, maybe that's why.
    The diagrams kind of are like the Guitar games how the notes go down while playing and light up.
    Oh right William.. or maybe we could say, the root of the next shape is on the farthest end of the present shape? I always think my index finger act as capo on caged.

For clarity to people studying this, the importance is knowing the shapes and how to apply them, both to chord fragments and lead or melodic lines. There should be no expectation of trying to play the G shape in the second position (A Maj). That's not what it's about. If I tried to do that - at all - there would be irreparable damage. :)
    Noted Ed 📝
    Thank you.

Upvote 0