• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – Changing Pentatonic Scales – Two Chords – D & C – Lesson 29

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
But if I recognize the shape that's being used for the chord wouldn't that also be the shape for the pattern that I'm using? For example if the chord is a D shape couldn't I play the D shape pattern to match the chord?
Yes in principle you can however it's important to understand that that's not really why you meant CAGED. If you take for example a D shape chord, for example E. You simply play an E chord in a D shape and over that E chord you can play the E major scale and the E major pentatonic for example. Where you play this E major pentatonic doesn't matter so much as long as the notes you play fit the chord. Whether you play the D shape pattern or the G shape pattern it will all work. CAGED is merely a way to play the scale or chord all over the neck and besides that there isn't really a rule that says you need to play D shape pattern over D shape chord. Try to understand CAGED in a way of 'I'm playing this scale all over the neck instead of I'm playing this pattern' that last thing is important because scales merely make it easier to forge lines and melodies that fit the chord and that's in the end what you want to do not just play patterns.

Reactions: chris_is_cool

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Yes in principle you can however it's important to understand that that's not really why you meant CAGED. If you take for example a D shape chord, for example E. You simply play an E chord in a D shape and over that E chord you can play the E major scale and the E major pentatonic for example. Where you play this E major pentatonic doesn't matter so much as long as the notes you play fit the chord. Whether you play the D shape pattern or the G shape pattern it will all work. CAGED is merely a way to play the scale or chord all over the neck and besides that there isn't really a rule that says you need to play D shape pattern over D shape chord. Try to understand CAGED in a way of 'I'm playing this scale all over the neck instead of I'm playing this pattern' that last thing is important because scales merely make it easier to forge lines and melodies that fit the chord and that's in the end what you want to do not just play patterns.
    I think I'm starting to understand what you're saying here. So basically I could play any pattern as long as my notes match the chord? And I could also play those patterns in different positions if I need to correct?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Wally I think Calvin means record some chords/notes you want to play over in your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and put a simple beat under it. There's lot's of jam tracks on "Youtube" and if you have a looping station/pedal, that works too.
    You can try the scales and play them over your favorite songs. I didn't read all the comments having a hard time catching up :explode-skull:

I'm sure there's some free apps online where you can push a few buttons and have a looped something going on. I tried this D.J. thing before not with my guitar

Zach Schreiber

Campfire Attention Holder
    The thing that sucks about 10+ years of playing with little, to no theory experience is the concepts themselves seem so foreign when it’s the basic foundations. And I did struggle a bit through a couple of these lessons.

However, the CAGED system alone has already informed things I was doing subconsciously and let’s me look at the neck completely differently then before. I’m excited to get the minor CAGED system! Great lessons!

Reactions: William B.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    The thing that sucks about 10+ years of playing with little, to no theory experience is the concepts themselves seem so foreign when it’s the basic foundations. And I did struggle a bit through a couple of these lessons.

However, the CAGED system alone has already informed things I was doing subconsciously and let’s me look at the neck completely differently then before. I’m excited to get the minor CAGED system! Great lessons!
    As a player who did 12 years no theory. Here are my suggestions.

1.. dont rush but skim certain lessons that interest you. Chances are they will connect dots of earlier lessons without you knowing. Atleast watch the lessons through and through them go back and watch them again but applying the lessons this time. My 2nd time though the theory really started making sense.

2. I'd practice.one scale to start. A lot of your jams will sound the same. But that's ok once you are confident with one scale you'll see how they all come together once you start learning the other scales

3. One day you'll realize every scale is the same progression in different keys. I'd say once you hit that part you PROBABLY can get away writing music or playing without the books. My last 2 sets of songs I've written I put the book down and just jammed. I honestly xant believe how much better and more natural it all sounds

4. You'll also realize you were probably playing an odd scale when you played guitar without theory knowledge. I rewrote many things to match the song key. Now I find it silly because I changed one qxale for another for no reason. Just because it "doesn't fit" doesnt mean it really doesnt fit. Theres a reason it stands out.

5. Take your time. I'd spend a week or so on a lesson. What I'd do is take the lesson practice the lesson. Then I'd write a jam or riff with the lesson. Eventually the song is done and I move on.

Reactions: William B.