• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System Pentatonic Exercise – Lesson 33

not james

Music Theory Bragger
Jun 7, 2020
This is going to sound really stupid but how do I play along to the metranome?
its actually pretty simple to start, so to start off something basic id just hit palm mute open e 4 times at lets say 60 bpm, you could go in hit two notes, the first strike should be synchronized with the beat. not the best explanation but i saw no one else replied. theres plenty of videos on youtube explaining it better than me.

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    This is going to sound really stupid but how do I play along to the metranome?
    1 attack per click - 2 apc - 3 apc - 4 apc etc. attack is just however you want to strum the note(s). This is kind of how I've been approaching it. Changing the Tempo of the Metronome, if there's a lot of notes in one beat/measure, I'll slow it down and if there's less, I'll make it a bit faster. I'm still learning to work with one, it's been tedious and amazing ( Spider-Man )
    You can skip/rest notes too, if you count out loud 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & or till whatever number you want, it's a little easier to mix things up. Also can apc on the "&" when counting.
    Hopefully this helps some, GL!

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I made you a video, Wally. Hope it helps.

Using a Metronome - YouTube
    This is great Captain ! I struggle with this myself and I’ve watched a plethora of videos online and none have been as clear as yours !
    Often times I’ve thought “there’s something wrong with my brain” lol. (Which is partly true 😁)

Also, I love you going old school with the sticky notes ! 😃

tj.broomfield

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Jan 24, 2021
    Just pointing out there is a small mistake in the 5th measure
    the F chord is a D shape which he is playing correctly
    but for those looking at the tab, here is what should be played
    pentatonics.jpg

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Just pointing out there is a small mistake in the 5th measure
    the F chord is a D shape which he is playing correctly
    but for those looking at the tab, here is what should be played
    View attachment 1294
    Congrats, TJ. Papa put that in there as a test, to see who was both learning AND still paying attention.

GOOD JOB! GOLD STAR!

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    So when playing over an F chord closest to the neck would that be considered an E shape? I'm still thinking in shapes at the moment and it's a little confusing to me. I'm working on breaking the habit of only seeing shapes and patterns but for now this is easier for my brain to organize all the information given.

Tristen.Jones

May 25, 2020
    San Jose, Costa Rica
    www.instagram.com
    So when playing over an F chord closest to the neck would that be considered an E shape? I'm still thinking in shapes at the moment and it's a little confusing to me. I'm working on breaking the habit of only seeing shapes and patterns but for now this is easier for my brain to organize all the information given.
    Yes, the barred F chord on fret 1 in standard tuning is the E shape

Reactions: William B.
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Carlos Novoa

Nov 11, 2019
    Ecuador
    Hi guys, measures 17 and 18 also have an error, in both they are showing the pentatonic for the A shape on the chords G (10th fret) and F (8th fret), in order to be D and C on the 10th and 8th fret, the pentatonic for the E shape should be used.
    Btw... Papa Gates plays it correctly, it's the tab that is wrong..

Last edited: