• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – The A Shape – Lesson 25

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Nashville tn.
I try to offer the "easiest" fingerings in all of the lessons. That being said - it's all subjective. It's only easier for me. lol. You may find an alternate fingering that's easier for you. When I learn something for the first time - I ALWAYS try alternate fingerings to find the most comfortable fingering. It gives me the best chance not to fuck up when I'm playing it live. : )
You do a great job..its just that im having trouble with some things and its because its new to me and im older and i dont get to practice a lot

Isaac McDaniel

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I am very new to theory and having a difficult time understanding all of this. He seems to just jump into the CAGED system without properly explaining the positions or scales themselves. This is all in the key of D correct? How do we know this? I have to constantly pause the video and look up scales to figure out what I am playing I am just having a hard time trying to figure out what it is I am supposed to take away from these videos. I can't practice doing the double stops and sliding in and out of scales because I still don't know the scale shapes well enough but that hasn't been covered in a video yet. The videos are great and I am learning but still feel like every couple of sentences he brushes over a topic or says a word as if it's already known but hasn't been covered yet in the video and I have no idea what he is talking about. Any advice would be welcome!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I am very new to theory and having a difficult time understanding all of this. He seems to just jump into the CAGED system without properly explaining the positions or scales themselves. This is all in the key of D correct? How do we know this? I have to constantly pause the video and look up scales to figure out what I am playing I am just having a hard time trying to figure out what it is I am supposed to take away from these videos. I can't practice doing the double stops and sliding in and out of scales because I still don't know the scale shapes well enough but that hasn't been covered in a video yet. The videos are great and I am learning but still feel like every couple of sentences he brushes over a topic or says a word as if it's already known but hasn't been covered yet in the video and I have no idea what he is talking about. Any advice would be welcome!
Yes it's D for this one.

I have question for you, did you start with lesson 1 or jumped straight into CAGED? Fundamentals of guitar should explain everything you need.

Reactions: David Deatherage

Isaac McDaniel

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Yes it's D for this one.

I have question for you, did you start with lesson 1 or jumped straight into CAGED? Fundamentals of guitar should explain everything you need.
I did. I still feel like the whole picture has not been painted for me. In his video explaining the major scale he explains the formula which I understand and plays the scale but he doesn't play the scale on either of the E strings, so I don't feel like I truly know the shape. Also, the major scales he is playing throughout the CAGED videos change shape and I don't remember him showing all the different shapes of the major scales. The only time I remember him mentioning positions was when he was referring to 1st position as near the neck. But in these videos I think he is referring to positions as where the root note of a scale is. I just feel like there's something that is clicking for everyone else that I'm not getting. I've watched these videos several times and have tried to sit with the information and practice but am still feeling lost and unable to connect the dots.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I did. I still feel like the whole picture has not been painted for me. In his video explaining the major scale he explains the formula which I understand and plays the scale but he doesn't play the scale on either of the E strings, so I don't feel like I truly know the shape. Also, the major scales he is playing throughout the CAGED videos change shape and I don't remember him showing all the different shapes of the major scales. The only time I remember him mentioning positions was when he was referring to 1st position as near the neck. But in these videos I think he is referring to positions as where the root note of a scale is. I just feel like there's something that is clicking for everyone else that I'm not getting. I've watched these videos several times and have tried to sit with the information and practice but am still feeling lost and unable to connect the dots.
The idea of the CAGED system is to change shape while playing the same notes

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019

Without over complicating it. You are playing the same chord through all 5 positions. So thatd mean it's all the same scale.. and notes for that matter. The caged system just does a good job in showing how you can play the same thing a different way through a different position.if you line up the notes you'll find its the exact.same scale.

If the caged system is still confusing.. maybe go back to the chords on their own. C a g e d are all shown before the caged lessons. Spend some time.. memorize those finger positions. Then go back to the caged. And follow the chords and you'll see the pattern easier. I think you're just a little over anxious. Gotta slow it down a bit.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kevin Dumont

Music Theory Bragger
Dec 15, 2019
France
I don't still understand the double notes construction...
For C shape, we built it according to the shape (or the arpegios changing the cord at reach step) 23 / 32 / 24 / 45 / 55 /52
So for A shape I though that will be 57 / 77 / 77/ 75 / 55 but instead Papa gates show us a different double stop: 77 / 55 /77 /54/ 77/45 / 55 / 45

What is the logic behind double stop construction? can we associative two notes of the scale ? because some association seems non conclusive (7 on A string and 4 on D string so E and F#) Is it because I associate the second and the third together ?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I try to offer the "easiest" fingerings in all of the lessons. That being said - it's all subjective. It's only easier for me. lol. You may find an alternate fingering that's easier for you. When I learn something for the first time - I ALWAYS try alternate fingerings to find the most comfortable fingering. It gives me the best chance not to fuck up when I'm playing it live. : )

From what I've learned a double stop is ANY two notes together. You can put together any 2 notes of the scale.. they all sound different but also the same in each position. And every position has a different tone of the same double stop. Search around for your favourites.

Edit : Not sure why this quoted GPS post when I was replying to Kevin but ok!

Reactions: Kevin Dumont

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Is it kosher to hop back and forth in between pentatonic and major scales? I did it a couple times without thinking about it and it didn't sound terrible. For instance, I started in the major scale then slid up and continued in the pentatonic scale. I'd assume it's okay, considering most of the notes overlap, but I was curious as to what everyone else thought.
I'm a bit late but to answer your question. The major pentatonic scale really is just the major scale with the 4th and 7th taken out so there's absolutely no problem doing that.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I don't still understand the double notes construction...
For C shape, we built it according to the shape (or the arpegios changing the cord at reach step) 23 / 32 / 24 / 45 / 55 /52
So for A shape I though that will be 57 / 77 / 77/ 75 / 55 but instead Papa gates show us a different double stop: 77 / 55 /77 /54/ 77/45 / 55 / 45

What is the logic behind double stop construction? can we associative two notes of the scale ? because some association seems non conclusive (7 on A string and 4 on D string so E and F#) Is it because I associate the second and the third together ?
A double stop is two notes played together, which notes you okay together is usually determined by which intervals you like the sound of when played together. I mean you're probably not gonna do a double stop with a b5 and the root or b2 and the root.

E and F# have a whole range of reasons it can work. Sorry if this is a little bit too in deep as far as theory is concerned but basically those two notes are the 2nd and 3rd of D, 5th and 6th of A, b7th and root of F#, 5th and 4th of B, root and 2nd of E, 6th and 7th of G. In the end it depends on the sound you want to go for but you can really trace it all back to the chords and the fingering you play them in can be traced back to CAGED

Reactions: Kevin Dumont

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    This was a great lesson. I see a lot of videos that will talk about scales but all they teach is one type of scale and ramble on about the scale patterns. The lessons taught here is what I love. These lessons cover the chords, the positions for each chord and the scales and techniques that go with it. I'm definitely getting my $10 worth out of these lessons. After constant practice and studying I finally understand how to connect scales to the entire fretboard. I may not be a master yet but with the knowledge given here I'll be next in line to be on the stage jamming out. Look out A7X Here I come! 🤘🎸