• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – The A Shape – Lesson 25

Nate Curtis

Garage band Groupie
Nov 17, 2019
Tonight while practicing sliding notes up and down from the "C Shape" to the "A Shape" I think I found the notes to the main riff for Black Sabbath's "Iron Man." So I barred up the notes into chords and started jamming away. I still need to figure out the ending part of the riff, but it was still fun to play that progression. Thanks for the great lessons Synyster and Pappa Gates I have never really been able to pick out notes and figure out songs on my own until now usually I have had to rely on guitar tabs. Thanks again.

Nate Curtis

Garage band Groupie
Nov 17, 2019
Yeah up to a few a weeks ago I had never heard of the CAGED system. I am having a lot of fun with it taking it really slow to learn what notes are where, but in this lesson when you combined the "C Shape" and the "A Shape" and sliding back and forth between the two that was awesome.

Reactions: Syn Gates
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jack Long

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Is it kosher to hop back and forth in between pentatonic and major scales? I did it a couple times without thinking about it and it didn't sound terrible. For instance, I started in the major scale then slid up and continued in the pentatonic scale. I'd assume it's okay, considering most of the notes overlap, but I was curious as to what everyone else thought.

Reactions: yairv13

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
question.PNG

So on the major scale in this position I noticed the tablature has two different frets to play the G note (that's a G right?). I find hitting the first string instead of the second a little more comfortable but it looked like PG just played the second string 8th fret throughout the video. Is there a "proper" way to do this during the scale or is it just whatever feels right? Or maybe it doesn't matter :LOL:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
View attachment 224

So on the major scale in this position I noticed the tablature has two different frets to play the G note (that's a G right?). I find hitting the first string instead of the second a little more comfortable but it looked like PG just played the second string 8th fret throughout the video. Is there a "proper" way to do this during the scale or is it just whatever feels right? Or maybe it doesn't matter :LOL:
When you play it on the 8th fret it can lead you to a new position because you'll have fingers left to play with on the high E string. For this shape on itself I don't think it matters that much

Reactions: David Deatherage

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
When you play it on the 8th fret it can lead you to a new position because you'll have fingers left to play with on the high E string. For this shape on itself I don't think it matters that much
Okay that makes sense, I was literally playing these videos step by step pausing and practicing with my guitar. I finally just put it down then watched every CAGED video and taking all of it in with sliding into different positions :oops:

Jack Long

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
If you are playing the same scale.. the penatonic is inside the scale isnt it? Is that what you're saying or do you mean between major and minor scale?
Yes the same scale. I was speaking in terms of this lesson, where we were jumping back and forth in between the scale patterns of the 2 C chords. But i just realized I was playing the one incorrectly so I thought one or 2 of the notes from the pentatonic didn't match the major.

Side question, if you are playing in a major key, would soloing in the respective minor work?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yes the same scale. I was speaking in terms of this lesson, where we were jumping back and forth in between the scale patterns of the 2 C chords. But i just realized I was playing the one incorrectly so I thought one or 2 of the notes from the pentatonic didn't match the major.

Side question, if you are playing in a major key, would soloing in the respective minor work?
With respective minor do you mean A minor over A or do you mean relative minor which would be F# minor over A. The first one give a blues feel and the second one definetely works.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019

I'm a little off in saying the penatonic is in the arpeggios but it's almost there.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
View attachment 224

No "proper" way to do it. Whichever way feels right.

Reactions: David Deatherage

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
Is it kosher to hop back and forth in between pentatonic and major scales? I did it a couple times without thinking about it and it didn't sound terrible. For instance, I started in the major scale then slid up and continued in the pentatonic scale. I'd assume it's okay, considering most of the notes overlap, but I was curious as to what everyone else thought.
If it sounds good to you, it isn’t wrong 🤘

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I kind of understand where he is coming from..when im watching papa gates i want to play it exactly the way he teaches and i forget that sometimes all you need is an overview and then you can improv
Sometimes you will be required to change the fingering up anyways so learning it the "wrong" way really isnt wrong at all.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I try to offer the "easiest" fingerings in all of the lessons. That being said - it's all subjective. It's only easier for me. lol. You may find an alternate fingering that's easier for you. When I learn something for the first time - I ALWAYS try alternate fingerings to find the most comfortable fingering. It gives me the best chance not to fuck up when I'm playing it live. : )