• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – The C Shape – Lesson 24

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I get that but say I'm in F , you have F G A A# C D E . So if im playing in F then switch to A then to G can I only play the arpeggios or scales in A over A or can I play the ones in F over all of em?
So, an arpeggio is a broken chord which is basically the notes of the chord played separately. That means that yes you can only play the F arpeggio or a substitution of F over the F (Dm7, Dm9 for example would also work). You can also play extended arpeggios(G6, Fmaj7, Fmaj9 etc), same holds for Am but instead of F transpose it all to Am.

I suppose you mean Am because A isn't in the F major chord family. Basically, for the scales you can use any scale that works over each individual chord. If you're progression goes from F to Am and you're in the key of F you can use F major over both of them, F lydian over both of them too, for spice you could even use F lydian#2 for example. In the general sense each chord has a set of scales that works over them and you're encouraged to explore what sounds good to your ear out of these options.

Hope this helps

Reactions: MFeldsher8883

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I am struggling with trying to understand what key I'm playing in when I play in different positions. And do you only play the maj, arpeggios, and pentatonic. Over that specific chord or can you play any of those over any chord? I am so confused with the whole concept of the caged system period. I spent the last year just trying to get better with playing in time and learning songs and now I am back but feel like I even though I have a 19 months of playing under my belt I still don't really understand music theory or the caged system thing anymore then I did a year ago. I recently purchased the Beato book from Rick Beato and I wasted my money because I just don't understand it. The caged system is just as confusing. I think because I don't have a Great Ear ,Not being able to recognize what chords are being played unless I am playing them is a major problem. I don't know what I can and can't play over . Like when papa gates played the arpeggio over the backing track. He said this is just a backing track in A . If he didn't say it was in A I would have never figured out what it was. I just cannot distinguish what is being played unless I am told or it is written. I know this is a lot to unpack,and I am just rambling, but this is the problems I am having.
All the things you mention take time to develop, rome wasn't bulild in a day and neither will you guitar skills. As far as knowing the key you're in a lot of times there's one place a progression will naturally resolve to and that's the key you're in. Lastly, usually when you jam with people the key is communicated 'we're doing a blues in A or autumn leaves in Bb etc. So that's not really something to be overly worried about right now. Try to enjoy the process!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
If you are playing in f.. the pattern will always be 1 3 5 1 3 5 1 3 5. So you aren't changing keys at all. The pattern is the same. If you move to the a or the g.. it'd really depend on how you wanted to do it.

You could play the same arpeggios if a is your 3 chord. Let's say it was a 1 3 2 6 progression. (F a g d) so what I do is my personally ill find the d major caged shape. (This shape has the relative minor arpeggio as well which is a minor) in this shape you have a root on the 2nd string (1 3 are on 2nd string and 5 is the next string up for thr a minorshape). That part is easy really.

So with the 1 3 2 6 progression you play your normal scale positions. When you get to 3.. you COULD use the same positions (you'd be playing the mode) or you can find your root note for the same shape from the 1 chord.

So in standard tuning (I may mess this part up due to tuning). F IS FIRST FRET AND 13TH. Meaning 2md.string it'll.be 8.for the power chord. This would be the note to start your a minor shape/d major shape. I could make a video if this is confusing. From there you could literally play the same.notes for the 1 chord. Just you're in the position of the 3 chord. Repeat for 2 and 6 (6 relative minor so you can cheat and use the 1 chord scales)

Hugo Gomes

Garage band Groupie
Aug 9, 2020
Ok , I'm a little confused, in this lession, i need play the shapes of chords in CAGED, how we learn in the last video lesson or i need pratice this scales shapes papa gates do at the end of the video? (Btw i don't speak english very well, so probably this text could have some mistakes).

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Ok , I'm a little confused, in this lession, i need play the shapes of chords in CAGED, how we learn in the last video lesson or i need pratice this scales shapes papa gates do at the end of the video? (Btw i don't speak english very well, so probably this text could have some mistakes).
    I haven't seen this video in some time but I think the videos about what you can do with this chord, like there's an arpeggio, a pentatonic scale, double stops and more. It's maybe best to learn it little by little. I tried to pick one segment from each chord like the pentatonic scales and learned all those first and then tried the arpeggios for example. My method may not be the best cause I kind of forgot some of it, I hope this helps some
    ps. it's a barred C chord you can move around the neck and it will change tone depending where you place it, something like that

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Zeuspot

Music Theory Bragger
    Sep 24, 2021
    I get overwhelmed by all this information. I want to learn this, but I don't know where to start or what to practice, or how to practice it. Does anyone have any tips on this? So far I've gotten the ideas with the scales and chords I've learned in previous lessons, but this lessons is giving me some trouble.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I get overwhelmed by all this information. I want to learn this, but I don't know where to start or what to practice, or how to practice it. Does anyone have any tips on this? So far I've gotten the ideas with the scales and chords I've learned in previous lessons, but this lessons is giving me some trouble.
    Hey @Zeuspot ! I got you, no worries. I understand your feelings! Indeed it is a lot of information because the truth is, there is so much to learn! So with that being said, what I advise you to do is go at it slowly and take it one lesson at a time!

Now with this lesson specifically, there isn't really any tips as much as it's just what it is. Now when he talks about the ''C shape'', be careful that he isn't talking about a C chord specifically but simply the shape that your fingers will take. So, for example:

-2-
    -3-
    -2-
    -4-
    -5-
    ---

This is a D chord but the shape your fingers will take will be similar to that of a standard and most commonly used C chord.

-0-
    -1-
    -0-
    -2-
    -3-
    ---

It's just a way for you to get familiar with different chords as well as to get familiar with the fretboard. In this lesson, PG will also tell you the different arpeggios, double stops,etc.. that can be used within one shape and this can be applied to any chord that you play in C shape.

If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll explain further. I would also advise, even though it's boring, to put your guitar aside and actually write the lessons down. Personally, that helped me a lot. It's just a tip!

Zeuspot

Music Theory Bragger
    Sep 24, 2021
    Hey @Zeuspot ! I got you, no worries. I understand your feelings! Indeed it is a lot of information because the truth is, there is so much to learn! So with that being said, what I advise you to do is go at it slowly and take it one lesson at a time!

Now with this lesson specifically, there isn't really any tips as much as it's just what it is. Now when he talks about the ''C shape'', be careful that he isn't talking about a C chord specifically but simply the shape that your fingers will take. So, for example:

-2-
    -3-
    -2-
    -4-
    -5-
    ---

This is a D chord but the shape your fingers will take will be similar to that of a standard and most commonly used C chord.

-0-
    -1-
    -0-
    -2-
    -3-
    ---

It's just a way for you to get familiar with different chords as well as to get familiar with the fretboard. In this lesson, PG will also tell you the different arpeggios, double stops,etc.. that can be used within one shape and this can be applied to any chord that you play in C shape.

If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll explain further. I would also advise, even though it's boring, to put your guitar aside and actually write the lessons down. Personally, that helped me a lot. It's just a tip!
    I think I wasn't clear enough in what I ment. I get the whole chord thing, taking the C-Shape and moving it up 2 frets / 1 whole tone = a D-chord. But what confuses me is the scales and arpeggios, and also the double stop thing. What I want to know is how do I practice this, and how do I apply it. Should I practice the scales and the arpeggios?

Reactions: William B.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I think I wasn't clear enough in what I ment. I get the whole chord thing, taking the C-Shape and moving it up 2 frets / 1 whole tone = a D-chord. But what confuses me is the scales and arpeggios, and also the double stop thing. What I want to know is how do I practice this, and how do I apply it. Should I practice the scales and the arpeggios?
    Aaaah I see! Well the first step is to memorize them and then afterwards, it's to practice them in a musical context because these are just tools and it's up to you to use them. So once you have them memorized, put a backing track in the key of the shape (In this case D) and then try to put the arpeggio and the double stops at use. See what sounds cool to you, skip a note in the arpeggio and try different combination of all those to develop this skill!

Really, it's going to be clunky at first but the more you do it, the more you will be able to do what you want with them. A backing track is included in this lesson for this purpose. If you look down of the video, on the right of the ''speed'' settings, you will see that there is ''2 recordings'' written. Switch from video to ''D jam'' and there you go! :)

Zeuspot

Music Theory Bragger
    Sep 24, 2021
    Aaaah I see! Well the first step is to memorize them and then afterwards, it's to practice them in a musical context because these are just tools and it's up to you to use them. So once you have them memorized, put a backing track in the key of the shape (In this case D) and then try to put the arpeggio and the double stops at use. See what sounds cool to you, skip a note in the arpeggio and try different combination of all those to develop this skill!

Really, it's going to be clunky at first but the more you do it, the more you will be able to do what you want with them. A backing track is included in this lesson for this purpose. If you look down of the video, on the right of the ''speed'' settings, you will see that there is ''2 recordings'' written. Switch from video to ''D jam'' and there you go! :)
    thank you so much, this helps a lot

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Can someone help me, my tab not moving when I played the video
    This is not a "you" problem. It's a site issue that's still being worked on after the abrupt and painful transition from Vimeo to YouTube for hosting. We have no ETA, but at least now the videos are up - they weren't for a solid month.

DGLee

Garage band Groupie
    Aug 7, 2023
    Is the lesson material available in a form to be printed. It would be handy since the video and on screen tab do not sync. I have looked, but for whatever reason (other than maybe it doesn't exist) have not found it.

Lena

Garage band Groupie
    Oct 7, 2023
    Indiana
    The "Jam" recording with both tabs and audio is extremely helpful!! I highly recommend everyone try it out if you still have confusion after the lesson. At first, I didn't fully grasp the concepts in the video, but then I practiced myself, and now the video makes perfect sense to me. It feels so good to rewatch the video with clarity and be on the same page. This entire "school" has been my favorite part about life recently and brought so much progress & happiness. Thank you, Papa Gates (and everyone else involved too)!!!!! <3, Lena

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Did I miss some videos or something because I know nothing about major scale, and this video is everything about major scale, so I can't keep up with the video. Ah, maybe I'm just too stupid.
    Then you should take a look at lesson 7 which is all about the Major scale!